Got my first UOTD!

Team milestones, Badges from projects, congratulations to members regarding personal achievements (such as User Of The Day project awards, or reaching specific targets). Also topics about GRC (Gridcoin) rewards.
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Got my first UOTD!

Post by Jeffers »

Look what I got...

Congratulations!

You've been chosen as the Rosetta@home user of the day!
Your profile will be featured on the Rosetta@home website for the next 24 hours.

I do believe it's my first....
And after looking at it, I need to update my profile, it's a bit out of date on account of great-grandchildren arriving.....
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Got my first UOTD!

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Jeff

WOW - simpy WOW....I really cannot understand how you've never got one before now....exactly how long have you been crunching ???

So, I checked...and this is your SECOND !!

Look here:

http://uotd.org/show_participant.py?cpi ... 0e13466b16

And the first one was on....ROSETTA !!!!!!

Even so, 9 years is a long time to wait for this.

regards
Tim
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

I'm shown as joining Seti in 2003, which I guess would be the first project many of us participated in.
Then WCG and Rosetta followed by various others over the years. More recently I've been joining various projects for the sprints.
I did get a laugh from looking at the older computers I used to be running, it's amazing how things have progressed over the years.
I was especially aware of this after working in IT hardware for many years.
I visited the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park a while back and felt rather old looking at these big clunky bits of kit that I remembered working on.....
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Jeffers wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:06 am I'm shown as joining Seti in 2003, which I guess would be the first project many of us participated in.
Hi Jeff

Similar story for me, though I did start crunching the original (non-BOINC) SETI@home screensaver, back in summer 1999 - that was in the days of dial-up !! Each task was about 350kb in size and took a few hours... :-(
Then WCG and Rosetta followed by various others over the years. More recently I've been joining various projects for the sprints.
I did get a laugh from looking at the older computers I used to be running, it's amazing how things have progressed over the years.
I was especially aware of this after working in IT hardware for many years.
Yup - first PC was a 10 MHz 286 upgared to include a 80287 Math Co-Processor !! My, did spreadsheets re-calculate a whole lot faster once that was fitted !! Then upgraded to 486 (33 MHz), then a big jump to original Socket 7 Pentium (133 MHz) and then another big jump to Pentium P4 (3.06 GHz).

Now of course, it's the Intel Core architecture, in all of my current PCs. For one reason or another, I've never been tempted to use AMD...though my original webservers used 300 MHz and then 450 MHz AMD CPUs...but that was about 10 years ago.
I visited the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park a while back and felt rather old looking at these big clunky bits of kit that I remembered working on.....
That's still on my "to-do" list - I did go to Milton Keynes in the summer, but it was for a gig, and I went by coach, so no time to detour and take in Bletchley. Maybe next year

regards
Tim