Millionaires Club

Team milestones, Badges from projects, congratulations to members regarding personal achievements (such as User Of The Day project awards, or reaching specific targets). Also topics about GRC (Gridcoin) rewards.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Millionaires Club

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

A quick look here:

http://ubtstats.co.uk/ubt/millions2.php?cs=2&sz=2

...and you'll see that currently we have 874 "Project Millionaires" - that is projects where members have achieved at least 1,000,000 credits on said project.

So, at some point soon, we'll be crossing into new territory - having 1,000 Project Millionaires.

Any one fancy a little "compy" predicting WHEN this might happen?

Reply with your prediction and the nearest guess, (that is made no sooner than a fortnight before the time when it actually happens), will earn themselves something chocolatey and biscuity... 8-) :shock:

regards
Tim

Predictions made so far:

UBT - Timbo - 15th June 2016
hgblade - 26th June 2016
Woodles - 2nd August 2016
hgblade

Re: Millionaires Club

Post by hgblade »

Hi Tim

I'll give this a go, even if it's only to try and keep Mark from the 'something chocolatey and biscuit" :twisted:

26th June 2016.

Keith
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi All,

So we need another 26 millionaires? Seems achievable.
hgblade wrote:I'll give this a go, even if it's only to try and keep Mark from the 'something chocolatey and biscuit" :twisted:
Why, what's wrong with things being chocolatey and biscuity and mine :lol:

I shall go for August 2nd 2016

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

We now have 888 "Millionaires" in the club, so to speak ;)

Just need 112 more and we'll have ONE Thousand Millionaires....that's some going by anyone's reckoning :)

regards
Tim
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all,

Just need 12 more and we'll have ONE Thousand Millionaires....that's some going by anyone's reckoning :)

regards
Tim
Am I missing some change to mathematics here - don't we need 112 more to reach 1000??? :shock:

Keith
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

hgblade wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all,

Just need 12 more and we'll have ONE Thousand Millionaires....that's some going by anyone's reckoning :)

regards
Tim
Am I missing some change to mathematics here - don't we need 112 more to reach 1000??? :shock:

Keith

Oops....;) yup - well spotted.....I have only one excuse - I've picked up a cold while I was down in Londinium over the weekend and I had to take a day off work, and I've had headache throughout the day....I'll correct the original "error".

regards and thanks
Tim
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by nick »

i just made 874 so I guess we lost some people since the first post
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:i just made 874 so I guess we lost some people since the first post
Hi Nick

If you look here:

http://ubtstats.co.uk/ubt/ubt_members2. ... &sz=2&rp=0

you can see who has left the team recently...and hence if they *were* Millionaire Club members, then they aren't now :(

Shame really - esp as most/all of those who've left (to my knowledge) have never been members of the forum, so if they had any gripes, we could have helped sort them out. C'est la vie.

regards
Tim
nick

Post by nick »

wow homefarm was a big loss les bins too
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris »

I'm a millionaire! (Well, in credits - if I was a real millionaire, I'd go out and but more putes for BOINC! ;) )

Chris
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Congratulations Chris, if credits were pounds, I think there would be a few more people crunching! :)

(I'd probably look into getting a Cray or two :D)

Mark
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Thanks :D and I'm sure there would! You'd be a multi-billionaire!!

What are Crays? They sound like they could be cool ;)

Chris
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Woah! They look amazing! :D
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

The original supercomputers and still hold 6 of the top ten world places :)

How do you fancy half a million Xeon cores running Enigma? :D

... Although the electricity bill might go up a bit!
nick

Post by nick »

Woodles wrote:Have a look here Chris http://www.cray.com/products/computing :D
ill take 2 please
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Half a million cores?! How much is a Cray, anyway?
ill take 2 please
I'll take as many as they can give me!

Chris
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Chris wrote:Half a million cores?! How much is a Cray, anyway?
You can get a two year old, cut price one for half a million dollars, that has 6144 cores and only produces 225 Teraflops though.

The top of the range machine is expected to scale to just over 1 million cores but at the moment, only manages 560,640 cores to produce 27,112.5 Teraflops according to the list of the top 500 supercomputers (second place behind Tianhe-2)

It was a $60 million upgrade to Jaguar so not a new build, probably touching $100 million from scratch.

Doubt you'll find any on EBAY :D

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:Woah! They look amazing! :D
Hi Chris

But take a look at these:

http://www.craysupercomputers.com/crayXMP.htm

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

So even if all of UBT pitched in, they'd probably be wayyyy out of our price range :(

If a Cray came on to the BOINC system, I'm guessing we'd really notice a difference! The total power it the moment is ~170,000 Teraflops - if a 27,000 Teraflop computer came online, that would just be amazing!

Imagine it running 20GH/s BU tasks! You'd get a few hundred credits there ;) (Theoretically about 45 Trillion A DAY!)

Chris
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:So even if all of UBT pitched in, they'd probably be wayyyy out of our price range :(

If a Cray came on to the BOINC system, I'm guessing we'd really notice a difference! The total power it the moment is ~170,000 Teraflops - if a 27,000 Teraflop computer came online, that would just be amazing!

Imagine it running 20GH/s BU tasks! You'd get a few hundred credits there ;) (Theoretically about 45 Trillion A DAY!)

Chris
Hi Chris

It's all about "the numbers game" in computing. And if you think about it, we're now getting into the era of affordable multi-CPU PC's....even on the desktop, there are now dual CPU Xeon Haswell motherboards, that can run 48 or even 72 "cores" (if you use Hyper-Threading)...!!

http://www.titancomputers.com/Titan-X55 ... p/x550.htm

And a while back (2009), Intel was experimenting with 80 core CPU's

http://www.pcworld.com/article/183653/I ... iency.html

And of course, NVidia and AMD/ATI now have multiple "cores" in their GPU's, which makes them ideal for number crunching on BOINC :)

Crays of course were using "parallel processing", which Windows doesn't really support, though it might at some point in the future.

Of course, if you had a little bit of money, you could rent processing power from Amazon (AWS) or Microsoft (Azure) - start with a server, add an OS - say a nice flavour of Linux, install BOINC and scale the workload, based on how much you wanted to spend (no. of CPU's, bandwidth, etc).

For not a lot of money one could easily earn a huge stash of credits on some CPU projects.....hmmm, now that's an idea !!

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

I'll look in to that server thing, Tim ;)

Chris
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Well, I said I'd look into it, and I did! :D

I used Windows Azure and (using my £125 free credit from my trial) created a VM which should last for about 15 days :D

I'll update you on how much credit it earns, so fingers crossed it will do well!

Here's it's CPID, so anyone who is looking in to one can see how it's doing: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/host/ ... a008196e50 (within the first hour, it's crunched 4 E@H tasks and 2 Goofy tasks, with 15 active tasks :D )

Chris
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:Well, I said I'd look into it, and I did! :D

I used Windows Azure and (using my £125 free credit from my trial) created a VM which should last for about 15 days :D

I'll update you on how much credit it earns, so fingers crossed it will do well!

Here's it's CPID, so anyone who is looking in to one can see how it's doing: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/host/ ... a008196e50 (within the first hour, it's crunched 4 E@H tasks and 2 Goofy tasks, with 15 active tasks :D )

Chris
HI Chris

Excellent work :)

TBH, I've been busy what with work and stuff to actually look into doing this. Seems like's it's pretty simple and straightforward, so I'll maybe take a look at it more closely this Easter.

Now, what would be good, is if you have a Bitcoin account and use the funds from that to pay for the Azure hosting :) I wonder how much electricity you'd have to pay for, to earn enough Bitcoins to be able to afford some Azure crunching ? (This is hypothetical - no actual figures required ;) )

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Hi Tim,

That would be good :D then on each VM, you could run another bitcoin client (without ASIC), but still earn a little bit back ;)

It's doing well for itself so far, but it disconnected over the weekend (I made it error out by accident), but I was away over the weekend, so I've only just fixed it (missing out on ~10,000 credits :( )

Chris