Millionaires Club

Team milestones, Badges from projects, congratulations to members regarding personal achievements (such as User Of The Day project awards, or reaching specific targets). Also topics about GRC (Gridcoin) rewards.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Millionaires Club

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:So even if all of UBT pitched in, they'd probably be wayyyy out of our price range :(

If a Cray came on to the BOINC system, I'm guessing we'd really notice a difference! The total power it the moment is ~170,000 Teraflops - if a 27,000 Teraflop computer came online, that would just be amazing!

Imagine it running 20GH/s BU tasks! You'd get a few hundred credits there ;) (Theoretically about 45 Trillion A DAY!)

Chris
Hi Chris

It's all about "the numbers game" in computing. And if you think about it, we're now getting into the era of affordable multi-CPU PC's....even on the desktop, there are now dual CPU Xeon Haswell motherboards, that can run 48 or even 72 "cores" (if you use Hyper-Threading)...!!

http://www.titancomputers.com/Titan-X55 ... p/x550.htm

And a while back (2009), Intel was experimenting with 80 core CPU's

http://www.pcworld.com/article/183653/I ... iency.html

And of course, NVidia and AMD/ATI now have multiple "cores" in their GPU's, which makes them ideal for number crunching on BOINC :)

Crays of course were using "parallel processing", which Windows doesn't really support, though it might at some point in the future.

Of course, if you had a little bit of money, you could rent processing power from Amazon (AWS) or Microsoft (Azure) - start with a server, add an OS - say a nice flavour of Linux, install BOINC and scale the workload, based on how much you wanted to spend (no. of CPU's, bandwidth, etc).

For not a lot of money one could easily earn a huge stash of credits on some CPU projects.....hmmm, now that's an idea !!

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris »

I'll look in to that server thing, Tim ;)

Chris
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Well, I said I'd look into it, and I did! :D

I used Windows Azure and (using my £125 free credit from my trial) created a VM which should last for about 15 days :D

I'll update you on how much credit it earns, so fingers crossed it will do well!

Here's it's CPID, so anyone who is looking in to one can see how it's doing: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/host/ ... a008196e50 (within the first hour, it's crunched 4 E@H tasks and 2 Goofy tasks, with 15 active tasks :D )

Chris
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:Well, I said I'd look into it, and I did! :D

I used Windows Azure and (using my £125 free credit from my trial) created a VM which should last for about 15 days :D

I'll update you on how much credit it earns, so fingers crossed it will do well!

Here's it's CPID, so anyone who is looking in to one can see how it's doing: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/host/ ... a008196e50 (within the first hour, it's crunched 4 E@H tasks and 2 Goofy tasks, with 15 active tasks :D )

Chris
HI Chris

Excellent work :)

TBH, I've been busy what with work and stuff to actually look into doing this. Seems like's it's pretty simple and straightforward, so I'll maybe take a look at it more closely this Easter.

Now, what would be good, is if you have a Bitcoin account and use the funds from that to pay for the Azure hosting :) I wonder how much electricity you'd have to pay for, to earn enough Bitcoins to be able to afford some Azure crunching ? (This is hypothetical - no actual figures required ;) )

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Hi Tim,

That would be good :D then on each VM, you could run another bitcoin client (without ASIC), but still earn a little bit back ;)

It's doing well for itself so far, but it disconnected over the weekend (I made it error out by accident), but I was away over the weekend, so I've only just fixed it (missing out on ~10,000 credits :( )

Chris