CPUs on Collatz - DON'T try this at home !!

Team milestones, Badges from projects, congratulations to members regarding personal achievements (such as User Of The Day project awards, or reaching specific targets). Also topics about GRC (Gridcoin) rewards.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

CPUs on Collatz - DON'T try this at home !!

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

I guess this falls into the category of "Congratulations, numb-nuts" !!

I rather optimistically allowed one of my Xeon hosts to download some Collatz CPU tasks about 13 days ago, BEFORE the Rosetta sprint.

And I left them crunching to see what benefit they might provide...either in terms of credits or in terms of speed of processing.

Well, the results are in.

The good part:

I earned between 32,376 and 36,432 credits for each task. :-)

The not so good part:

Each task took between 800,700 and 872,415 seconds (that's between 222.4 and 242.33 HOURS). :violin: :-(

Sadly, these were "Collatz Sieve v1.40 windows_x86_64" tasks with a quorum of "1" - so I cannot compare directly to another host crunching the same task.

But other tasks from around the same time, using my NVidia GPU and processing "Collatz Sieve v1.30 (opencl_nvidia_gpu) windows_x86_64" tasks were earning about the same amount of credits and only taking about 1,350 seconds each (about 22 minutes).

NEVER did I expect there to still be such a disparity between CPU and GPU tasks... !!

regards
Tim
ChelseaOilman
TeAm AnandTech team member

Re: CPUs on Collatz - DON'T try this at home !!

Post by ChelseaOilman »

Wait until the new Nvidia Ampere GPUs come out! CPU crunching is on the way out. lol
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

ChelseaOilman wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:43 pm Wait until the new Nvidia Ampere GPUs come out! CPU crunching is on the way out. lol
Hi Carl

You're probably right...and, in real terms, it's about time...the huge processing power that GPUs have had over the last 2 or 3 generations have really proved that CPUs are only good "en masse" (ie if you have many thousands of them...) but for the future, GPUs must be the way forward for projects, as most PCs now have very good quality GPUs even if they are not used for gaming.

So, plenty of processing power to "tap into". :-)

regards
Tim
bigsinky
UBT Contributor

Post by bigsinky »

1080ti is doing them in about 260 seconds👍 I’m sure Damien can let us know how long a 2080ti takes and Carl the Titan series.