Leaving UBT for WCG

WCGs mission is to create the largest public computing grid benefiting humanity. You can choose from various work units to crunch: Fight AIDS, cure Cancer or support the Human Proteome Folding projects amongst many. (Previously supported by IBM).
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Leaving UBT for WCG

Post by chriscambridge »

Seeing as there is practically no support for WCG in UBT I have decided to now join another team for this project.

At this time I have no plans to move to another team for the other projects.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Leaving UBT for WCG

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris

Thanks for the heads up.

It is a shame that WCG hasn't got more UBT members enthused about their project...it's certainly more worthwhile than some other projects, that's for sure...

regards
Tim
chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

Thanks Tim,

To be honest the reason I have been able to spend sooo much money on new hardware is because a relative of mine died of Cancer and left me some money, and hence it is important that I (now) crunch projects that help towards curing these fatal illnesses such as World Community Grid.

I have processed nearly 32 years runtime for UBT on WCG (in just over 2 years), so I think I have done my bit for the team on this project.. (forgetting the extra that I also did on my other account for UBT/WCG).

If UBT were to become the #1 UK team for WCG in the future then I would of course come back, but for now I just want to help get the UK as high as possible within BOINC rankings on this project.
UBT - PennyQ
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

I have always done WCG tasks regardless of any team positions & points (until very recently - but that's only because the PC has turned up its toes and I can't run BOINC - or anything else for that matter - at the moment :cry:) For me it has never been about rivalry, just trying to help...
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

chriscambridge

Post by chriscambridge »

I don't think there are many people who crunch for BOINC who are not trying to help.

Competition is a human trait and especially such when you reward people with credits, and then display these within a list, as well as have people in teams.

:?