WCG on Android :-)

WCGs mission is to create the largest public computing grid benefiting humanity. You can choose from various work units to crunch: Fight AIDS, cure Cancer or support the Human Proteome Folding projects amongst many. (Previously supported by IBM).
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

WCG on Android :-)

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

It seems WCG are in the news as they want lots of people to use their Android smartphones to crunch data, in order to help the Smash Childhood Cancer project :-)

More info here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39221420

Having had radiotherapy myself and being nearly brought to tears seeing a young child (perhaps 2 or 3 years old) in a headrestraint, being wheeled into the Tomography machine at Addenbrookes, I can only hope that as many people as possible get involved with this.

Hopefully the app won't drain the battery too much and progress can be made. :-)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: WCG on Android :-)

Post by Woodles »

It's not just 'phones, Raspberry PIs can run android apps as well. I might have found another project for mine :)

Mark
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Ahh just noticed this while I was looking something to put my 2 old Android phones to work on.
So they will be soon doing some work for WCG once they finish what they were trying to do. :)
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by chriscambridge »

WCG is one of my most favourite projects.

3 Million credits currently, and 5 years run-time on Smash Childhood Cancer, and another on 5 years on Mapping Cancer Markers.
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris »

I too am a huge fan of WCG :) I've racked up about 160 days of computing for it, so nowhere near as much as you! But I do wish to switch more onto WCG over the coming weeks :)
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D