Account

WCGs mission is to create the largest public computing grid benefiting humanity. You can choose from various work units to crunch: Fight AIDS, cure Cancer or support the Human Proteome Folding projects amongst many. (Previously supported by IBM).
Syrix

Account

Post by Syrix »

Someone already had my account name  :shock:

I created a new one for WCG does that mean it will not show under my stats for Syrix? I am a little confused lol
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

The key thing is to make sure all the different projects have the same email address, its the latter that truely differentiates credits.  You could have different Names on each Project account, makes no odds - just be fastidious about email address.  If you can keep the same name, obviously do so, don't tempt fate, but its the email address thats the magic wand.

On the Stats Site(s), its best (to avoid any confusion) to keep the name you want for stats (I presume Syrix).

The reason it works like that is sheer numbers, to stick to unique names everywhere is pretty well impossible. BOINC adds a random generated number and appends it to a fixed representation of the email address, that becomes the "Cross-project ID".  You can see that in your Account page at Project level.  Its the cross project ID that provides the unique reference.

If you have more than one machine, make sure one machine (at least) is logged into all projects, that provides a poll to revolve around for cross project ID.  don't ever be tempted to change cross project ID without guidence (see BOINCStats Forums), its best to leave it alone, let BOINC get on with it.  Your part is to make sure the same email address is used, and at least two machines point to a Project (don't leave one "isolated" as the only one pointing at a Project).

Do that and you should be fine.  Post again if I merely caused even more confusion in your mind rofl :)
Syrix

Post by Syrix »

yup indeed used the same email for all projects, excellent that has clarified how they actually link all the projects. many thanks for the explanation much appreciated!