WCG Team Challenges

WCGs mission is to create the largest public computing grid benefiting humanity. You can choose from various work units to crunch: Fight AIDS, cure Cancer or support the Human Proteome Folding projects amongst many. (Previously supported by IBM).
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

WCG Team Challenges

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Now that the Gauntlet Challenge (on SETI@home) has finished, I was wondering what else we could do.

And while checking the WCG website I found that they have now instigated the "Team Challenge" function, whereby, over given periods of time, teams can choose to join a challenge and hence aim to beat other teams - in pretty much the same way as the Gauntlet...

So, if you get two minutes, take a look at these:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/stat/ ... llenges.do

and then let me know if anyone feels that we can make a strong enough impact on any one of the challenges already issued.

EDIT:
This is how our daily WCG credits are increasing

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Naon

Post by Naon »

I am in.... I think that the challanges are good to do ...

Lets put a dint in to the stats !!!!!!  8)  :D  8)  :shock:
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

I like WCG projects, so I will help as well  :lol:
Time to get the team back in the top 100.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Is there a page for upcoming challenges? Or can we start our own?

Virtually all the ones listed are in mid run. 'Sports heat(s) start today but only run for 4 days which only leaves 'Master note' which started 4 days ago but runs 'til 30th.

Count me in - WCG could definitely do with the boost!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Is there a page for upcoming challenges? Or can we start our own?

Virtually all the ones listed are in mid run. 'Sports heat(s) start today but only run for 4 days which only leaves 'Master note' which started 4 days ago but runs 'til 30th.

Count me in - WCG could definitely do with the boost!
Hi Mike,

Yup - we could start our own and see what happens...!

OR: On the link I gave, if you click on the dropdown box, you'll be able to select only the "Upcoming Challenges"...

I don't think there's any point us joining a challenge until we can settle on a date in the future when members will be able to clear their cache of existing WUs (from other projects) and hence start crunching on WCG on the relevant date.

Some Challenges are starting on 22nd Nov for 4 days, which might be a bit too soon...but these have few teams in them, so we have a better chance of winning...!

The next batch start 26th Nov for 4 days but these have more teams in them, which might make it more interesting?

The next batch (as of today) start 1st Dec for a month - which might be a bit long...

regards

Tim
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

There are around 20 teams who get more credit in a month than our overall total (and that includes 3 teams who do it in a week), so avoiding them would be good but probably not possible.
The challenge can make a difference to which project it is best to run--Discovering Dengue Drugs has the shortest wu's so is a good one for results challenges.
It would be nice to improve on " Users going up : 6 Users going down : 92"
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Looks like a bit of fun.  8)

How about we join the one called the Christmas Race? Start date is 12/01/07 Gives everyone time to clear the cache, currently has only 19 other teams entered. I'm game if you all are........... :!:
Last edited by UBT - The Prof.... on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT - The Prof.... wrote:Looks like a bit of fun.  8)

How about we join the one called the Christmas Challenge? Start date is 12/01/07 Gives everyone time to clear the cache, currently has only 19 other teams entered. I'm game if you all are........... :!:
I'm up for this! 8)  :D
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

i'l play  :lol: lets do santa Image :3some:  :3some:
Last edited by UBT - mickyb69 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timby

Post by Timby »

OK Team leader count me in as well, WCG is one of those projects I should do more often but never seem to get around too??
But just at the mo I am a PC short, my poor old P4 3.2 has bit the dust, locked up last night and is totally dead when trying to restart, PSU is fine, just trying to build some more bitsa back into the case  lol
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - The Prof.... wrote:Looks like a bit of fun.  8)

How about we join the one called the Christmas Race? Start date is 12/01/07 Gives everyone time to clear the cache, currently has only 19 other teams entered. I'm game if you all are........... :!:
Quite a good spread in the 19 on this one so far, a few way out of our league but then a group (around 20k WGC points a day) we could top with a reasonable increase in output plus several more way below us.

Just reached 250k on WCG, my first 1/4 million project :D .
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

OK - the consensus seems to be very positive to get involved with the WCG Challenges......and if there are no dissenters, then I'll put the team forward to be added to the Christmas race...

So, carry on as per norm, and start downloading some WCG WUs a few days BEFORE 1st December....so at least we'll get some credits from day 1...

Remember - it's a 24 day Challenge...and it's all about the points (e.g. credits) earned....

So, if anyone is currently crunching on WCG, what we need to know is which WCG project produces the most points per hour....!

regards

Tim
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - Timbo wrote: Remember - it's a 24 day Challenge...and it's all about the points (e.g. credits) earned....

So, if anyone is currently crunching on WCG, what we need to know is which WCG project produces the most points per hour....!

regards

Tim

AfricanClimate@Home          Points Per Hour of Run Time 71.37
Discovering Dengue Drugs   Points Per Hour of Run Time 65.25
FightAIDS@Home                 Points Per Hour of Run Time 34.43
Help Conquer Cancer           Points Per Hour of Run Time 69.30 (NO WORK AT PRESENT)
Human Proteome Folding 2  Points Per Hour of Run Time 46.26

These figures are the averages from WCG stats (I think 7 points = 1 Boinc credit) so a reasonably fast machine should do better on most projects. It maybe because the minimum specs for AfricanC are higher than the other projects that the average points per hour is greater as it will tend to be newer machines running it.

While HCC is out of work I run DDD and wu's complete in around 1hr on my AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ for approx 16 credits (112 points per core/hour)
yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo »

It's realy nice, that you will join our initiated christmas race.

thx
yoyo
MAVRIK

Post by MAVRIK »

I'm in..........
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:AfricanClimate@Home          Points Per Hour of Run Time 71.37
Discovering Dengue Drugs   Points Per Hour of Run Time 65.25
FightAIDS@Home                 Points Per Hour of Run Time 34.43
Help Conquer Cancer           Points Per Hour of Run Time 69.30 (NO WORK AT PRESENT)
Human Proteome Folding 2  Points Per Hour of Run Time 46.26

These figures are the averages from WCG stats (I think 7 points = 1 Boinc credit) so a reasonably fast machine should do better on most projects. It maybe because the minimum specs for AfricanC are higher than the other projects that the average points per hour is greater as it will tend to be newer machines running it.

While HCC is out of work I run DDD and WUs complete in around 1hr on my AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ for approx 16 credits (112 points per core/hour)
Hi,

That's BRILLIANT.....!

Just what the doctor ordered...

OK people, now you know....plenty of WUs available, plenty of credits offered...so, let's get cracking on WCG sometime before 1st December.

I'll submit the UBT to the Challenge now....so, all we need next is for members to start crunching nearer the start day...

Edit: Now joined...stats are here

(but won't be live until 1st December, of course).

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

yoyo wrote:It's realy nice, that you will join our initiated christmas race.

thx
yoyo
Hi Yoyo,

We hope we can do a good job on the race...and look forward to some inter-team banter and also try to encourage lots of UBT member to help this particular project.

regards

Tim
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

If its the same joining up stuff as the gauntlet heres my WCG details  :lol:
BOINC Account Number:   198082
WCG name .. mickyb69

ImageImage
UBT - The Prof....

UBT - Timbo wrote: ...all we need next is for members to start crunching nearer the start day...
Already started to run down the cache of other wu's.

Have 8 WCG wu's @ the moment, all for DDD. But be careful, they all seem to have about 4 day turn arounds,  :shock:  so don't hog too many too early....  :wink:
Last edited by UBT - The Prof.... on Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

mickyb69 wrote:If its the same joining up stuff as the gauntlet heres my WCG details  :lol:
BOINC Account Number:   198082
WCG name .. mickyb69
Hi Micky,

As far as I know, there's no independent stats - it's all done through the WCG project website....as they are the admins...!

So, you're automatically "IN" if you are crunching for WCG during the dates specified...

There's nothing else to do in terms of registration...! Just crunch WCG from 1st-24th December...!

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Ta very much Tim , ive started doing some DDD's to get my pending credits up .
My naughty 2.8's getting about 9 credits per hour ...
Anyone getting more credits on different projects ???  :lol:
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

mickyb69 wrote:Ta very much Tim , ive started doing some DDD's to get my pending credits up .
My naughty 2.8's getting about 9 credits per hour ...
Anyone getting more credits on different projects ???  :lol:
My 2.8 got
9.6 on Human Proteome Folding (average over 3 wu's around 8 hrs each)
8.3 on FightAIDS@home (average over 2 wu's around 10 hrs each)
My 3.4 got
12 on DDD
11.7 on HPF (3 wus, 6.5 hrs each)
and 2 FA@H wus differed so much both ran 6 hrs one got 80.1 credits the other 61.8 credits
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

From WCG forum
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:From WCG forum.....
Ah...how cute....so that's gotta go at the top of the forum...!

I s'pose we should thank John from BOINCTeams.com for making this...!

regards

Tim
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Any chance of us beating the Irish contingent at this? Not that I'm bitter about the Gauntlet or anything!! :wink:  :lol:  :lol: Image
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

been on wcg for 1 full day ...the credits are tat Image
and me p3 1100 died after 2 wu's Image
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

It looks like teams enter more than one challenge at once, it would seem a shame not to as well.....There are three December challenges points/time/results which last all month so why not lets have a pop at one or more of those as well  (There are 63 teams in the November results challenge, my current crunching alone would place us 9th, without too much team effort we would get at least 5th)
Timby

Post by Timby »

Hi all, just got some HCC WU's Boinc manager is saying 24hrs on a P4 3.2ghz machine, I will let you know how long they run in a day or so ?
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Well, I'm definitely up for this. Trouble is i allowed new work for loads of projects at the end of Gauntlet and got tons of WUs. Have set all to no new work to try and clear cache but it could take some time as I have about 25 days worth of work at present! Once I get to just WUs reporting in Jan, I'll suspend projects and concentrate on WCG.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:It looks like teams enter more than one challenge at once, it would seem a shame not to as well.....There are three December challenges points/time/results which last all month so why not lets have a pop at one or more of those as well  (There are 63 teams in the November results challenge, my current crunching alone would place us 9th, without too much team effort we would get at least 5th)
Yup - I was thinking about joining up for the other challenges...the only issue is whether members would be willing to be involved for the 31 days that the other challenges seem to take.

I thought 24 days on the Christmas race would be OK - but crunching one project for 31 days.....? That is a much bigger commitment !!

I'm quite happy to sign up the team to these other December Challenges, if enough members want to crunch WCG for 31 days....

All in favour, please say AYE !!

regards

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:Any chance of us beating the Irish contingent at this? Not that I'm bitter about the Gauntlet or anything!! :wink:  :lol:  :lol:
I doubt we could beat them....with First Knight, they have someone who can crunch 200,000 WUs per DAY.....

That is some awesome CPU processing power.....wonder if he bought a 2nd Cray off eBay...???

So, our best chance is to hope either that FK doesn't get involved with WCG....or that maybe he jumps ship and joins UBT....! (In which case, they would be made extremely welcome !).

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

RodEllery wrote:Well, I'm definitely up for this. Trouble is i allowed new work for loads of projects at the end of Gauntlet and got tons of WUs. Have set all to no new work to try and clear cache but it could take some time as I have about 25 days worth of work at present! Once I get to just WUs reporting in Jan, I'll suspend projects and concentrate on WCG.
Hi Rod,

Once the Gauntlet was over, I looked around and thought "which project to start crunching for" on my quad core....and I thought that ABC would be nice....so I now have a huge cache of ABC WUs..... :oops:

My other machines aren't really good enough for the long-ish ABC WUs that sometimes show up - I had a 12 hour WU on the quad core - that would have taken ages on my P4 2.4GHz....

So, my other machines are already on WCG, crunching on the DDD WUs (as these take around 2 hours or so) now that I've cleared my cache of SETI WUs.

(Remember: You can select which type of WCG WUs you will be issued with, via your account on the WCG website).

regards

Tim
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Now that SAP has finish sending new wu's I have a "nice" cache to finish, but as they have completion dates of May or later I'll just leave some on hold.  A friend will also let me use his machine next week so I can add a dual core that is on part of each day :lol:
Every little helps, I know the credits are poor, but I think the long term benefits are better than looking for an alien Tony Blackburn who died 50,000 years ago when the signal was sent - if the Sun is 50,000 light years from earth. :roll:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - JohnR wrote:.....if the Sun is 50,000 light years from earth. :roll:
Hmmm.....I thought we were about 9 light minutes from the Sun......

I think you meant if the alien Tony Blackburn was 50,000 LY from the earth...!

regards

Tim
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

:oops: oops numbskull that I am.
I should have put the sun that the alien planet revolved around.  I don't think there would be much chance of life without a sun.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - JohnR wrote::oops: oops numbskull that I am.
I should have put the sun that the alien planet revolved around.  I don't think there would be much chance of life without a sun.
Hi John,

Hmmm...and according to this your alien planet would need a suitable moon as well....!

So, now we're really talking long odds....esp. if the alien looked/acted like TB himself....

I wonder what the odds would be ?

Anything close to Frank Drakes' famous equation...which gives the result as ..... 10 (civilisations able to communicate with Earth), which is Drakes result or 2 (based on current estimates)...

regards

Tim
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
UBT-mark3346 wrote:It looks like teams enter more than one challenge at once, it would seem a shame not to as well.....There are three December challenges points/time/results which last all month so why not lets have a pop at one or more of those as well  (There are 63 teams in the November results challenge, my current crunching alone would place us 9th, without too much team effort we would get at least 5th)
Yup - I was thinking about joining up for the other challenges...the only issue is whether members would be willing to be involved for the 31 days that the other challenges seem to take.

I thought 24 days on the Christmas race would be OK - but crunching one project for 31 days.....? That is a much bigger commitment !!

I'm quite happy to sign up the team to these other December Challenges, if enough members want to crunch WCG for 31 days....

All in favour, please say AYE !!

regards

Tim
Just crunching for the 24 days would still leave pending credits going through for up to a week so I say sign up anyway :D
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

i say do santa then sort the elves out in the extra days ImageImage :3some:  :3some:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

OK, I've now signed UBT up for the following extra WCG Challenges for December:

December 07 Results Challenge. (based on Results returned)
December 07 Points Challenge. (based on Points earned)
December 07 Run Time Challenge. (based on Run Time)

Each of these Challenges runs from 1st to 31st Dec 2007

No registration is required - just crunch on WCG throughout December and your points/credits will be included.

Let's see if we can really turn the screw and generate loads of points/credits for WCG through December.

regards

Tim
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Nothing like getting an early start :D

Our WCG all time best five days
Date               Credit
2007-05-28    14,437
2007-05-26    11,629
2007-05-30    10,371
2007-11-17  10,312
2007-11-23  10,225
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:Nothing like getting an early start :D

Our WCG all time best five days
2007-05-28    14,437
2007-05-26    11,629
2007-05-30    10,371
2007-11-17  10,312
2007-11-23  10,225
Hi all,

I would suggest that if we are going to do well on ALL of the WCG Challenges, that we should mainly crunch the "Discovering Dengue Drugs" WUs.

This is because:
- They earn you 65.25 Points Per Hour of Run Time (approx)
- They are relatively short duration WUs (approx 1hr each on a 2.4GHz Q6600).

Both the above mean that from a POINTS perspective, we can maximise the number of credit earned per hour

AND

We can maximum the number of RESULTS returned (which is one of the other Challenges).

If you go to the "your projects" section on the WCG website, you can select which project to crunch on.

regards

Tim

PS Please note that WCG awards POINTS as reward for WCG WUs that have been crunched and validated. And SEVEN WCG POINTS = ONE BOINC credit (approx).
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Our WCG all time best five days are now

Date          credit
2007-11-28     15,774
2007-05-28       14,437
2007-11-27     13,007
2007-11-25     12,758
2007-11-24     12,495
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:Our WCG all time best five days are now

Date          credit
2007-11-28     15,774
2007-05-28       14,437
2007-11-27     13,007
2007-11-25     12,758
2007-11-24     12,495
Hi all,

OK, given the rising level of credits being earned on WCG, I've now joined  UBT to ALL the December Challenges on WCG.

Some are over just three days, while the IBM challenge is over the whole month.

This doesn't cost us anything, and all I'm doing is assuming that with quite a few members crunching on WCG, then we can see where we "stand" in comparison to other teams.

At the same time, I'm taking advantage of the fact that during December, more UBT members will be crunching on WCG than has happened at other times.

So, our best chance to win one of these challenges is during December !!

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

This is our team page on WCG so we can check the challenges we are in
and the results.
Happy Crunching

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... 9TGC4G1RP1
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

I should have everything ive got running on WCG by tomorrow morning (friday 30th ) Even got a few new chips to boost me crunching ... 1 of my p4 1.7 has now got a 2.7 laptop chip in ....yippppeee running @3.0gig without overclocking  pmsl .. Still waiting for another 2.7 and have just got my hands on a pair of 1 gig p3's for the old banger server ...
Timby

Post by Timby »

Image-

Nice one mickyb69 Image looks like there will be a glow over your house soon with all those glowing red cpus running, I myself my have a little something planned for next week !! Image
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

saving me loads on gas ... might rig the 2.8 up to the main tank and get free hot water .. Lost my poor little p3 1100 last week so ive spent £25 on 4 chips .. just need a 3.2 xp to max up every motherboard ... might be time to save up for a quad .........Image
Any one got any ideas on how to convince the head that the 5 new duo's should be crunching for us ?
yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo »

101 teams joined the Christmas race. It is currently the biggest team challenge WCG ever had, I think.
yoyo
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Please WCG give me some credits
Timby

Post by Timby »

UBT - mickyb69 wrote:Image
Please WCG give me some credits
can't work out how your RAC is way higher than mine Mickyb69 ? I got everything including the kids calculator running and its still only 66 Image
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

You are much closer togeather on Boincstats
"UBT-Timby
Recent average credit (according to World Community Grid) 203.06830
UBT - mickyb69
Recent average credit (according to World Community Grid) 218.79553 "
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

ive been doing them for a few days so you will probs over take me very soon .
Just 1 thing ive noticed is my twin p3 800's are keeping up with my p4 running at 3.1 gig .... does this project like old tat ????
If so hurry up mr postman pat and bring my p3 1000 SL4BS
ImageImage
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT - mickyb69 wrote:.... does this project like old tat ????
I do hope so!!! It'll give me a chance to keep up with you lot! :lol:  :lol:
UBT - The Prof....

Just had a look at stats page for christmas race and we are at No. 7 after first day :D
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - JohnR wrote:This is our team page on WCG so we can check the challenges we are in
and the results.
Happy Crunching

Looks like they only show 5 challenges on that page, this shows up to 15 per page

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... listType=2
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Wow im up to a massive 600 boinc credits today  :cry:
21000 per days not bad but theres still lots of team members not doing any.
Can we put them on the naughty square or  give me some of the quads we were
going to get for xmass for being good ? (see ABC)
ImageImage
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Team all time Best five days on WCG are now
Date         Credit
2007-12-01    21,156
2007-12-02    20,781
2007-11-28    15,774
2007-11-30    15,594

2007-05-28     14,437

and almost 50% of team members on WCG  have added credit in the last week
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

I took a gamble and got a p4 2.7  northwood to put in my  dell optiplex 240 .
Couldn't find any details what the mobo would take chip wise . The biggest one sold by
dell was 2 gig .... Yippeee it works ...early days yet but this first WU looks like its going to be good . It was running at an
average of 1 every 6 hours but first ones @ 20% in 30 mins
Looks like its £3.60 spent well Image
Dear Mr Post man ...wheres my athalon xp 2500 and the 2 p1000's got to ???????Image
Alan Pull

Post by Alan Pull »

The December 07 Results entry shows us in third place - with only one team above us.   Do I need to go back to school????
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

lost me tooooooo  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

It does seem a bit confusing but as I see it:

we WON Dec 2/3 results and Dec 2/3 Hours but I'm not sure about Dec 2/3 points (only 2-3 K in it).

Well done all.
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Team Name      Current Score
Prohardver Team! 347,518
UK BOINC Team        333,934
Bulgaria              209,954

Looks like we came 2nd on the points  :oops:
Brilliant start for us  well done all .
2 out of 3 . don't that make us Image
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to help out with these December challenges, only I've gotten my PC a little over committed with a CPDN workunit thats due in January. :oops:

But I do know the value of teamwork...

...so I have scraped some extra crunching power together and will now be able to do a little bit to help.  :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

RodEllery wrote:It does seem a bit confusing but as I see it:

we WON Dec 2/3 results and Dec 2/3 Hours but I'm not sure about Dec 2/3 points (only 2-3 K in it).

Well done all.
Yup - we did do well, didn't we ??

FYI:
The "results" based Challenges - if you do more of the shorter duration WCG projects, such as DDD, then we'll return more completed WUs and hence we're more likely to win these types of challenges.

The "run time" based Challenges are simply a measure of our "Crunching power" - so the longer each PC crunches on WCG, increases our chances of winning these.

The "points" based Challenges are dependant on how many points are earned for each completed WU. As we now know, some WCG projects seem to produce higher credits per hour than others...so to maximise our points totals, the DDD and AfricanClimate projects are the best choices to crunch on (see here).

Personally, I am only crunching on the WCG "DDD" project because they are short duration (less than 1 hr on a "stock" Q6600 @ 2.4GHz) and produce high credits per hour.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

AAAGGGHHHH NO work!!! :(
Had work but it's all gone :(
I've set it all up for the 2 projects mentioned but looks like we run the server dry  :lol:

Terry
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Help Conquer Cancer           Points Per Hour of Run Time 69.30 has some wu's , They take about 10 hours on my naughty 2.8 for 70 od credits. :lol:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Timbo wrote:

FYI:
The "results" based Challenges - if you do more of the shorter duration WCG projects, such as DDD, then we'll return more completed WUs and hence we're more likely to win these types of challenges.
Sorry, but for obvious reasons I need to do the cancer project too, so i'm doing a mixture of long and short WUs.

Gary.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

The DDDT work units are reporting errors and the project is on hold.
The Tech's should sort it soon, the project has not run out of work.
Look in the WCG Forum for more information.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Joshrandom wrote:I'm sorry that I haven't been able to help out with these December challenges, only I've gotten my PC a little over committed with a CPDN workunit thats due in January. :oops:
I'm in a similar situation to Mr Random, although my CPDN WU is due in February! Every time I resume the task it runs as a 'High Priority' :shock:

I'm trying to give equal time to the WCG Challange and my CPDN unit! :D
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Our best five days on this are now

2007-12-11   28,593
2007-12-08   27,750
2007-12-13   27,543
2007-12-07   25,879
2007-12-05   25,869

We have added over 300k since 1st Dec and gone up 8 places from world 110 to 102. :D
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

melter65 wrote: I'm in a similar situation to Mr Random, although my CPDN WU is due in February! Every time I resume the task it runs as a 'High Priority' :shock:

From what I now understand, CPDN deadlines are generally ignored providing that there are still regular trickles from the PC in question.  :shock:

So I didn't need this second PC after all...  :wink:

...at least my little office is nice and warm now  :D
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Joshrandom wrote:
melter65 wrote: I'm in a similar situation to Mr Random, although my CPDN WU is due in February! Every time I resume the task it runs as a 'High Priority' :shock:

From what I now understand, CPDN deadlines are generally ignored providing that there are still regular trickles from the PC in question.  :shock:

So I didn't need this second PC after all...  :wink:

...at least my little office is nice and warm now  :D
Let's all contribute to Global Warming by predicting Global Warming!! :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks for that bit of info, Young Random! I'll keep crunching the WU every now and then up 'til Christmas, then give it a blast! :D
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Don't know about anynoe else, but I haven't had any WU's from WCG for the last three days, so my Christmas Challange finished on the 21st December! :roll:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:Don't know about anynoe else, but I haven't had any WU's from WCG for the last three days, so my Christmas Challange finished on the 21st December! :roll:
Hi Melter,

Which WCG projects have you joined??

(Some run out of WUs every once in a while).

There is an option for you to crunch other WCG projects, if your preferred project runs out. (Log in to your account on the WCG website and view the "my projects" section).

regards

Tim
UBT - PennyQ

Post by UBT - PennyQ »

The only ones I've got at the moment are DDD and HCC. FAAH last sent me WUs on 22nd and there haven't been any HPF ones for a while.
The impossible we do today; miracles take a little longer

UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

I have loads of DDD, sometimes I get the "work available for other platforms" message but usually within 5 mins it gets more.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Got a while to go for these challenges we have entered  :D
Dec 7-8 2008 Minicrunch Points Points  12/07/2008 12/08/2008  
Dec 7-8 2008 Minicrunch Run Time Run Time  12/07/2008 12/08/2008  
Dec 7-8 2008 Minicrunch Pts Points  12/07/2008 12/08/2008
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:Got a while to go for these challenges we have entered  :D
Dec 7-8 2008 Minicrunch Points Points  12/07/2008 12/08/2008  
Dec 7-8 2008 Minicrunch Run Time Run Time  12/07/2008 12/08/2008  
Dec 7-8 2008 Minicrunch Pts Points  12/07/2008 12/08/2008
Hi,

I think these were entered incorrectly to start with (as they should have been dated during 2007).

I entered the team, not realising the year "error"...!

Still, at least we'll have something to crunch for, next December :wink:

regards

Tim
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
melter65 wrote:Don't know about anynoe else, but I haven't had any WU's from WCG for the last three days, so my Christmas Challange finished on the 21st December! :roll:
Hi Melter,

Which WCG projects have you joined??

(Some run out of WUs every once in a while).

There is an option for you to crunch other WCG projects, if your preferred project runs out. (Log in to your account on the WCG website and view the "my projects" section).

regards

Tim
I was down for the whole lot prior to the Challenge, then I cut it back to the Cancer one because we were told there were more credits/points for that one! As soon as I couldn't get any more WU's for that, I reticked the full bag of mashings again, but got nothing, even after resetting the project! :roll:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

melter65 wrote:I was down for the whole lot prior to the Challenge, then I cut it back to the Cancer one because we were told there were more credits/points for that one! As soon as I couldn't get any more WU's for that, I reticked the full bag of mashings again, but got nothing, even after resetting the project! :roll:
Hi Melter,

OK, so it would seem to be that coz WCG (Cancer project) hadn't any WUs, so BOINC filled up your cache with WUs from other (non-WCG) projects....

And until those get crunched, so WCG won't get a look-in.

It will give you more in time...you just need to wait until the other WUs have been processed and returned.

regards

Tim
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
melter65 wrote:I was down for the whole lot prior to the Challenge, then I cut it back to the Cancer one because we were told there were more credits/points for that one! As soon as I couldn't get any more WU's for that, I reticked the full bag of mashings again, but got nothing, even after resetting the project! :roll:
Hi Melter,

OK, so it would seem to be that coz WCG (Cancer project) hadn't any WUs, so BOINC filled up your cache with WUs from other (non-WCG) projects....

And until those get crunched, so WCG won't get a look-in.

It will give you more in time...you just need to wait until the other WUs have been processed and returned.

regards

Tim
But BOINC has only done that because I was totally out of WCG WU's and I restarted a few more projects manually. I didn't tick the box to let BOINC automatically download other WU's! :D
yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Christmas Race 2008

Post by yoyo »

Hi friends,
a short note, have a look to http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... ngeId=1721 and be invited.
yoyo
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

OK by me.
Timby

Post by Timby »

That's so spooky, I was only thinking about WCG earlier when deciding what to do with the lack of work from milkyway, so YES I am up for a Xmas challenge.

Mark
UBT - Rick Horn

Timby wrote:That's so spooky, I was only thinking about WCG earlier when deciding what to do with the lack of work from milkyway, so YES I am up for a Xmas challenge.

Mark
Start thinking about six numbers on the lottery Mark, while your luck holds.  :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I don't think we have a cheerleader for this to remind us. If we have - remind us! If not we need a volunteer!

I'm in for it anyway.

I think young Mr. Timbo has to do the business of actually putting us forward or can Yoyo do that?

Image Image

UBT - Rick Horn

I think you`re right Mikee, Timbo is the project captain.
If we take on the WCG challenge, please note that the various projects have very different credits per hour rates.

"Nutritious rice for for the world" is far the best for credit hogs.
"Fight aids at home" is the  worst. I believe "Help conquer cancer" is the second best.
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

I'm up for this, too. My wife might feel the computers should have a rest over Christmas ... but it's all for a good cause  :lol:
UBT - Rick Horn

hgblade wrote: My wife might feel the computers should have a rest over Christmas
A few months ago, I had a major problem with my rig. It blew three hard drives, and crashed several times a day. The wife suggested it was "tired", and told me to give it a good rest!

Bless them, they mean well, but they haven`t got a clue.

The real reason was a serious BIOS fault.  :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:
hgblade wrote: My wife might feel the computers should have a rest over Christmas
A few months ago, I had a major problem with my rig. It blew three hard drives, and crashed several times a day. The wife suggested it was "tired", and told me to give it a good rest!

Bless them, they mean well, but they haven`t got a clue.

The real reason was a serious BIOS fault.  :D

*Shifty look* Whoops!  :lol:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

We should have a Christmas Challenge every year! :lol:  :lol:

I'm definitely up for this! :D
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

:lol: Reminder ??
UBT - Rick Horn

I`ll PM Tim tomorrow and ask him to include us in the WCG Xmas race.

Edit: Done.
UBT - Rick Horn

Hi guys.
Tim has added UBT to the Christmas WCG race.

Mikee has kindly offered to be a temporary cheerleader for the project, so we`re on!

Please remember that the race starts from December 1st. to the 24th.

If Mikee forgets, I won`t, so you won`t get get any peace!

Rick.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:
Mikee has kindly offered to be a temporary cheerleader for the project, so we`re on!
Did I? :?  Oh! If you insist I suppose! :D

Image Image

UBT - Rick Horn

UBT - Mikee wrote:
UBT - Rick Horn wrote:
Did I? :?  Oh! If you insist I suppose! :D
My apologies Mikee, you didn`t exactly volunteer did you?
But now you have done, thanks!  :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Hi guys.
Tim has added UBT to the Christmas WCG race.

No problem Rick,

I think I've added UBT to some other WCG challenges as well....as it costs nothing to admin or get involved.......so, we may well improve our relative position if others see us "participating"...

Here's hoping we do well on WCG over the coming weeks....!

regards

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi friends,
a short note, have a look to http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/ ... ngeId=1721 and be invited.
yoyo
As I've been volunteered this is just a reminder of the challenges/races coming up in December. This isn't for the credit hogs out there (that includes me I suppose!). However, if you're in it for the science and benefit of mankind, please feel free to join in next week.

No, really, please do - PLEASE!!

I usually only beg once and if no one listens I get very unhappy! :-(

Encourage your friends and colleagues to help your team!

* If they already participate in the World Community Grid, then copy and paste the web address below and send it to them in an email. All they need to do to join your team is click on the web address and then click on the join now button on the page that appears.

* If they have not yet joined World Community Grid, then copy and paste the web address below and send it to them in an email. When they register, the team will be automatically selected for them. Let them know that they will still need to download and install the World Community Grid software.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/v ... 9TGC4G1RP1

Image Image

UBT - Rick Horn

Please don`t forget that the WCG Christmas race starts at midnight.  :D
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Please don`t forget that the WCG Christmas race starts at midnight.  :D

is it any project at wcg ?
after midnite tonite?

b. :D