WCG BOINC Migration Announcement

WCGs mission is to create the largest public computing grid benefiting humanity. You can choose from various work units to crunch: Fight AIDS, cure Cancer or support the Human Proteome Folding projects amongst many. (Previously supported by IBM).
UBT - JohnR

WCG BOINC Migration Announcement

Post by UBT - JohnR »

WCG is going to issue no new projects for the UD client.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forum ... read=15715

BOINC for world domination :evil:

Makes sense for them to only run one client, and they have put a lot of backing into improving BOINC software.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: WCG BOINC Migration Announcement

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - JohnR wrote:WCG is going to issue no new projects for the UD client.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forum ... read=15715

BOINC for world domination :evil:

Makes sense for them to only run one client, and they have put a lot of backing into improving BOINC software.
This is what Dr Anderson mentioned during our Team Birthday Chat session.

Obviously, it has taken time for WCG to start moving towards BOINC and to ditch their own proprietary client.

Of course this means there may be a good influx of non-BOINC WCG crunchers...so make them all welcome if they join us.....and we do need some extra help on WCG as it happens.

regards

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

WCG have a new project, and it is for BOINC only.

Welcome to Discovering Dengue Drugs – Together
Thank you for joining our "Discovering Dengue Drugs – Together" project! Your computers will provide the global computing power necessary to identify promising drug leads to combat global infectious diseases. Our project will uncover drugs to stop viruses belonging to the family Flaviviredae, including dengue, hepatitis C, West Nile and yellow fever viruses. More than 40% of the world's population is at risk for infection by dengue viruses, and each year millions of people are treated for dengue fever and dengue hemorrhagic fever. Approximately 2% of the world's population is infected with hepatitis C virus. West Nile and yellow fever viruses also have significant global impact. There are no drugs that effectively treat these diseases. With your generous help, we can work together to perform the comprehensive drug discovery calculations that will rapidly point us towards cures for these serious worldwide diseases.
Another good project which is one reason why we are here, not just to find the best moves in Sudoku.

[edit]
further information on the project http://blog.utmb.edu/newsroom/?p=2286
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

It also means all the country stats should be correct at some point in the future, seen as though they are still slightly lacking
TheBritScott

Post by TheBritScott »

I was crunching UD Client for years, and then I decided to check up on it, and upgraded to BOINC and joined this team.

BOINC is so much nicer.
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Looks like part of the migration may have cost us our 1st place in UK teams.

We have just been passed in BoincStats by UK.  They may still be showing as an International team but we have now slipped to 108th place  :cry:

I think I'll vote for WCG for our next Mini-crunch.  We need to raise our effort on this project in my opinion (for what it's worth) :oops:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - JohnR wrote:Looks like part of the migration may have cost us our 1st place in UK teams.

We have just been passed in BoincStats by UK.  They may still be showing as an International team but we have now slipped to 108th place  :cry:

I think I'll vote for WCG for our next Mini-crunch.  We need to raise our effort on this project in my opinion (for what it's worth) :oops:

Now the panic is over on Yoyo for now, I'll switch everything back to WCG for my last week at home.

I know it's not going to change much but every little helps.

Gary.
Gary

Post by Gary »

same as, back to wcg as soon as yoyo wu have finished
Gary

Post by Gary »

Got 6 results that will not upload
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Just checked mine and they seem to be uploading and reporting fine

Gary.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Don't know what the problem was but restarting Boinc sorted it.