UK Chart

WCGs mission is to create the largest public computing grid benefiting humanity. You can choose from various work units to crunch: Fight AIDS, cure Cancer or support the Human Proteome Folding projects amongst many. (Previously supported by IBM).
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

UK Chart

Post by UBT - Mikee »

WCG list all their teams as International so we can't see where we are as a team in the UK.

So (As Wifey is snoring away after coming off nights - I had to find something quiet to do 'til this afternoon) I've decided to have ago and find out where we are.

To the best of my knowledge this is the position...

Code: Select all

1 (06) UserFriendly.Org           15,826,322 (since found out they're Canadian)
2 (20) MyOnlineTeam                4,662,828
3 (24) EIC Limited                 4,093,203
4 (30) The PCReview Crew II        3,722,259
5 (54) TribalWar.com               1,797,399
6 (59) XPC                         1,724,427
7 (83) Ubuntu Linux                1,102,652
8(100) Dales Tomorrow                921,793
9(101) UK BOINC Team                 918,170
Everyone else is either International or non-UK country specific/preferred.

Feel free to say if it's wrong as some of the team sites are a bit vague.

If anyone wants to work out who's below us - feel free!
Last edited by UBT - Mikee on Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Re: UK Chart

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:WCG list all their teams as International so we can't see where we are as a team in the UK.

So (As Wifey is snoring away after coming off nights - I had to find something quiet to do 'til this afternoon) I've decided to have ago and find out where we are.

To the best of my knowledge this is the position...

Code: Select all

1 (06) UserFriendly.Org           15,826,322
2 (20) MyOnlineTeam                4,662,828
3 (24) EIC Limited                 4,093,203
4 (30) The PCReview Crew II        3,722,259
5 (54) TribalWar.com               1,797,399
6 (59) XPC                         1,724,427
7 (83) Ubuntu Linux                1,102,652
8(100) Dales Tomorrow                921,793
9(101) UK BOINC Team                 918,170
Everyone else is either International or non-UK country specific/preferred.

Feel free to say if it's wrong as some of the team sites are a bit vague.

If anyone wants to work out who's below us - feel free!
I didn't think to visit websites but had treated UK teams as those where a  min 50% of the crunchers were UK identified, that would now put us 4th having just overtaken UK and with one team we can catch.
WCG rank 24 EIC Limited
WCG rank 30 The PC Review Crew II
WCG rank 100 Dales Tomorrow
WCG rank 101 UK BOINC Team
WCG rank 102 UK
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Until WCG have the function to classify teams as from certain countries we will never really fully know where abouts we stand.

So I urge whoever is reading this to send a message to WCG via the contact us link

Something along the lines of:

Will you please add functionality for team founders to select which country a team comes from, this would then be included in the XML files for stats, which would enable stats sites to correctly track how a team is doing in a particular country. All BOINC projects provide this simple feature and it would be nice for WCG to follow suit. Doing so would also encourage more competition between various teams for there countries number 1 spot.

---------

If you do send a message then try and make it differ than the one I have posted as I have just sent this one myself.
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Sat May 05, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Done. :lol:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Will do in a few days.

If we all go piling in at the same time then it'll look to much like a campaign and if I was one of them I'd just ignore the emails. However, if they trickle over several days/weeks it'll look a lot less suspicious and they may be more inclined to reconsider.

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Will do in a few days.

If we all go piling in at the same time then it'll look to much like a campaign and if I was one of them I'd just ignore the emails. However, if they trickle over several days/weeks it'll look a lot less suspicious and they may be more inclined to reconsider.
But surely a campaign might be better? A trickle feed of requests may not show up much over any given period, whereas a deluge of requests from different members in a short space of time, may have more of an effect?

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

I have sent a PM to someone at Synergy asking if they will make up a post, then post it for their team members, doesn't hurt to try and get some more on the bandwagon
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I have sent a PM to someone at Synergy asking if they will make up a post, then post it for their team members, doesn't hurt to try and get some more on the bandwagon
Ah now then this is a different story.

If it was going to be just us (UKBT) then a trickle feed over several days would be the option. Think of it as a dripping tap - a couple of drops doesn't seem much but it's annoying and you'll change the washer and fix it because the wife's bugging you. If it's running a bit, you probably won't hear it and just leave it - it might leave stain on the bath - but who cares?

However, if more teams become involved then that's a burst pipe and you gotta do something about it. It might not be the answer you want or expect (turn the mains off - that'll fix it!) but at least you've told someone that'll listen that there's a problem here that needs to be resolved.

Perhaps this can be UKBT's next mission? Something to really put us on the map and not just an 'also ran' in the great scheme of things?

I'm thinking along the lines of getting into as many forums as possible and try to get a (slightly) coordinated effort or...

What about a petition?

Need to think about that one though!

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

I got Team England, Scottish BOINC Team as well, Team England have already made a post, just waiting for the person in Synergy & Scotland to read the message and reply.

Its been discussed in brief various times on the WCG forum and it just kind of gets ignored with a reply saying in time
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:........Perhaps this can be UKBT's next mission? Something to really put us on the map and not just an 'also ran' in the great scheme of things?

I'm thinking along the lines of getting into as many forums as possible and try to get a (slightly) coordinated effort or...

What about a petition?

Need to think about that one though!

Totally agree......a petition and involvement from a few other teams all "working together" to "respectfully request" that a function be turned on, that's all.... :wink:

BTW: There's now a team email function at WCG, which I've just turned on - which enables UBT members on WCG to communicate with me (and vice versa) via the WCG project itself....

While switching this function on, I noticed this, in the WCG "My Profile" section:
Note: Your country needs you! Your results, points and run time will be counted in your country's stats.
So, the function IS there...just DISABLED at present....!

regards,

Tim
UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Just checked and found I already have this activated  8)
As you say, don't do a deal though ... .. . :(
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Timbo wrote:While switching this function on, I noticed this, in the WCG "My Profile" section:

Note: Your country needs you! Your results, points and run time will be counted in your country's stats.

So, the function IS there...just DISABLED at present....!
UBT - The Prof.... wrote:Just checked and found I already have this activated    8)
As you say, don't do a deal though ... .. .  :cry:
Thats where you are both wrong, the country list available is for individual stats so it does work correctly for that. There is no option to set a team to a nationality be it hidden or available but not working :wink:

Proof of it working can be found here
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hmm... then if you go to list the teams you get zip which is what I expected.

If you go to 'citizens' it lists 2471 UK members. I'd have thought there would have been a lot more than that (who had listed their country as UK) - obviously not!

Image Image

UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

WCG shows by Region:
Current Members:  
 Anonymous Members 163,541  
 Europe 61,346  
 North America 42,553  
 Asia 10,440  
 South America 4,740  
 Australia/Pacific 3,781  
 Middle East 1,744  
 Africa 861  
 Central America 354  
And by country (top 5) Current Members:  
 UNITED STATES 35,779  
 FRANCE 15,058  
 GERMANY 10,023  
 UNITED KINGDOM 8,302  
 CANADA 6,228
Biggest region is anon :!:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Thats where you are both wrong, the country list available is for individual stats so it does work correctly for that. There is no option to set a team to a nationality be it hidden or available but not working :wink:

Proof of it working can be found here
Yup - had "forgotten" about that stats "report".... :oops:

So, the easy (but not correct) solution to begin with is to take the country origin of the "team captain" and use that for the team as a whole.

Otherwise, they just need to create an extra "country" parameter for the "team" and use that.

Either way, it's an easy problem to fix.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I got Team England, Scottish BOINC Team as well, Team England have already made a post, just waiting for the person in Synergy & Scotland to read the message and reply.

Its been discussed in brief various times on the WCG forum and it just kind of gets ignored with a reply saying in time
FuzzyHollynoodles of Synergy has posted it over on the synergy boards, also on Calm Chaos & SETI.USA
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Well I've posted...
I received an email today asking why I hadn't done any work units for a while....
If you stopped contributing due to some unresolved technical problem, then we encourage you to contact us by replying to this email so that we can help resolve any problems you were experiencing. Additionally, you can find answers to many questions in the help section of our website or in the forums.
Well, this (thread) is one of the main reasons our team is so low in the world rankings. Our principle aim is to be the top team in the UK. As WCG only list teams as 'International' we have very little idea where we are and consequently have little inclination to promote the project which is a pity as the aims of the project are admirable and worth promoting.

I'm sure that other teams have the same aims and do less work on this project for the same reason.

I think the idea behind having only International teams was to promote the fact that we live in the 'World' and the work we do would be for the benefit of the 'World' and we shouldn't be nationalistic. Sorry, but it's our nature to be competitive and if we can't see team progress in a national sense then we tend to lose interest!

I'm led to believe it's a fairly simple thing to do - effectively a tick in a box. This simple thing, I am absolutely certain, will have a huge increase in WUs done and ... well - that's about it really what more do you want!

Tick in a box = huge increase in work done - bit of a no-brainer really!
in the thread I thought was the correct one. However, once posted I found it was a really old thread but had the right attributes so to speak. I suppose I could repost if I could find the right one but I think it'll do there for now!

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Until WCG have the function to classify teams as from certain countries we will never really fully know where abouts we stand....
I've just had an email back from WCG about the "country classification" of teams...

The news is GOOD:
This feature will be added in about a month

Thank you for participating.
---------------------------------------------------------
World Community Grid
Can't say fairer????

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

I also got the same today :wink:
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Aye, same here, guess there must have been quite a call for it thanks to "The Lad"  :lol:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

I got one too. Currently having a little argument with someone in the WCG message boards (the thread mentioned above) but - hey I don't care now.

My message also had
This feature wil be added in about a month.

FYI - it is more then 'just a tickbox'

Thank you for participating.
So was it a coincidence that this is happening now or something we said that prompted the action?

Whatever, we better improve our position once it's done otherwise I'll look a right plonker!  :D

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:......So was it a coincidence that this is happening now or something we said that prompted the action?......
Coincidence or not, the team "competitiveness" will now be re-kindled afresh...and that can only be a GOOD thing for WCG project.

S'pose we better make a "push" crunching on WCG again, so when the "country-specific team stats go "live", we'll be in a good position... :wink:

regards,

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Looks like things are starting to change albeit haphazardly!

I noticed that in BOINCStats some of the flags had changed from 'international' to... well nothing.

Go to 'country stats' then 'United Kingdom' teams (last last icon) and you'll see some UK teams listed.

Just had a look at the relevant thread and I see...
Its gametime

The team captain can now associate themselves with a country starting today.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forum ... read=15241

We look forward to the greater participation
So it seems it's up to the 'Team Captain' to sort it!

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:.....So it seems it's up to the 'Team Captain' to sort it!
The Team Captain has told me to tell you that he has now updated the "country" entry for UBT so that it is now correct.

You should also note from the thread link supplied that BOINC is now the "preferred" download client program for WCG....the UD client for Windows may not be supported for much longer (if at all) according to Dr Anderson, who advised me this yesterday.

I assume therefore that any existing Windows based members on WCG will be requested to move over to BOINC.

regards

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
UBT - Mikee wrote:.....So it seems it's up to the 'Team Captain' to sort it!
The Team Captain has told me to tell you that he has now updated the "country" entry for UBT so that it is now correct.
Thank the 'team Captain' for me! :D

Seems that, as very few other UK teams have noticed, we'll be #1 by a wide margin later today!

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/team_st ... %20Kingdom

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Thank the 'team Captain' for me! :D

Seems that, as very few other UK teams have noticed, we'll be #1 by a wide margin later today!

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/team_st ... %20Kingdom
Hi Mike,

I've passed on your thanks to the Team Captain....All he said was "IF WCG projects admins had told him that they were enabling this functionality, he'd have done it when so advised..."

Guess that's true of other teams as well - if they don't get told or can't be bothered to trawl ALL the forums and find out about this stuff, then they'll remain ignorant about it.... :oops:

As always, another issue where UBT are "leading the way" and getting the projects to "toe the line" and act professionally....

Ah well....in the meantime, it might mean we're #1 UK Team on WCG for a while then.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

After a minor hiccough, 'Nationalities' are now working. As suspected, we're #1 for the time being. Not doing so well in the World table as we've slipped back out of the top 100 to 101.

I know there are UK teams that have a higher total than us so the sooner they update their profiles the better. I'd prefer us to be #1 for real rather than due to any error or omission.

Image Image