World Community Grid

WCGs mission is to create the largest public computing grid benefiting humanity. You can choose from various work units to crunch: Fight AIDS, cure Cancer or support the Human Proteome Folding projects amongst many. (Previously supported by IBM).
UBT - Halifax-lad

World Community Grid

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Roll up roll up

Was just checking our rankings and it appears were naff in the ranking of WCG

So anyone who hasn't joined will you please do so World Community Grid

Sign up as a BOINC user, ignore anything the site says about United Devices for Windows as WCG runs on there client also, the one you want is BOINC.

Currently projects here are:

Human Proteome Project
FightAids@Home

you can do both with the same account, or set the account to only do one, work is problem free and is always available take about 8 hrs on my machine
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Am i the only 1 with a :x Rosetta :x work unit then?
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

mikeejones1 wrote:Am i the only 1 with a :x Rosetta :x work unit then?
well change from Human Proteome Project to Fightaids@Home the settings are in My Grid
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Thank you - done - didn't realise they were 1 and the same.

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Make take a day or two to take affect
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

mikeejones1 wrote:Thank you - done - didn't realise they were 1 and the same.
Rosetta @home is DIFFERENT to Rosetta on WCG !!

The "FightAIDS @home" project on WCG is founded by "The Scripps Research Institute", who have also created Protein Predictor @home (on BOINC).

Rosetta @home (on BOINC) is founded by Baker Labs.

(edit) The above is incorrect - WCG runs an earlier version of the Rosetta application code. Sorry for the mistake ! (/edit)

And remember to sign up to WCG by NOT downloading the UD agent - see this page:

http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/ubt-page-wcg.html

(UD "credits" are NOT counted along with the BOINC credits and hence they will not increase our overall combined BOINC total).

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well I did make that one quite clear but for any slower than the average man here is the link straight there

That will help Jackie at least she can just click straight in.:lol: :lol:

so long as everyone joins the BOINC side of it that is fine
Rosetta @home is DIFFERENT to Rosetta on WCG
Not exactly true they are both the science app that run the simulations, so they are the same just used in two different ways. Rosetta@homes is more advanced as they are looking into new method.

I would advise everyone to just set your preference to FightAids@Home, its the newest project on WCG and the only one of its kind really out there on DC.

There is too many Protein/Proteome style projects out there
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Not exactly true they are both the science app that run the simulations, so they are the same just used in two different ways. Rosetta@homes is more advanced as they are looking into new method.

I stand corrected.

Will edit my previous post.

regards,

Tim
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:That will help Jackie at least she can just click straight in.:lol: :lol:
Oi, why drag me into this :protest:
I've attached to seven out of eight projects without being nursemaided, I just had a hitch with Seti disgust

I'm not sure if I want to join another project, it all depends on how quickly Rosetta gets fixed although FightAids@Home is a good idea.
Hmmm, I'm going to think :idea: about this for a few days.
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:Hmmm, I'm going to think :idea: about this for a few days.
Go on do it, your planing on coming to the end with BBC soon, won't be long until RALPH doesn't need to function again, so by my reckoning you need another project to counteract those two :director:
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Go on do it, your planing on coming to the end with BBC soon, won't be long until RALPH doesn't need to function again, so by my reckoning you need another project to counteract those two :director:
Ralph replaced Rosetta which you said should be fixed soon.
Predictor@Home is replacing BBC.
I've got Pirates on the backburner if / when there is more work.
If HashClash stops for a while and needs replacing I've got Tanpaku, if they start using Boinc 5.whatever - which I'm sure you'll telll us all about.

{Deity} this is getting bloody confusing.
I don't want to push GertII at more than 5 projects because for the time she's on at night (10-ish hours) more than 5 projects don't seem to get any WU's completed and I'm not leaving her on 24/7 except for a crunch weekend.

Well it makes sense in my head, which is all that matters :?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Pirates rarely produces work it is there to test forum code so it doesn't need WU's, come on sign up woman
UBT - Halifax-lad

Up 26 places this last month now Position 205, with 7 new members this last month.

Keep it up peeps we might make it to 200 yet :lol:

Moved up 8 places to 197 :blob: :blob:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Steaming ahead on WCG now, are at 194 lots of teams have red arrows against there stats and are moving down positions, the team is much more active here now so were steadily moving up.

Keep up the good work
UBT - Halifax-lad

Moved up another 2 places :lol:

However we will go down one in the next day or two :cry:

Oh well can't win them all straight away.

Have just placed a recruitment post, pinched from one of the Masters previous posts, head on over and add some words of encouragement if you want
UBT - Halifax-lad

Cancer project will be the next project to be rolled out through WCG, they are hoping by the middle of the year, which isn't too far off from now.
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

Any idea what size the WUs will be?
UBT - Halifax-lad

RodEllery wrote:Any idea what size the WUs will be?
No one knows as yet
UBT - Halifax-lad

We have moved up 58 places in 25 days.

Now at 173 :D  :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Seems like my little laptop with it's poxy 128MB of memory can't handle too many Rosetta WU's at the same time. Just got a message 'Windows increasing virtual memory, something might not work etc' . After that it downloaded 3 WCU WU's OK - but they all reported 'Unrecoverable error for result (whatever) - (Incorrect function. (0x1) - exit code 1 (0X1))' without even starting!

Ho Hum - I was wondering when it'd reach it's limit.

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Seems like my little laptop with it's poxy 128MB of memory
can't remember the last time I heard of a comp with so little memory :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Seems like my little laptop with it's poxy 128MB of memory can't handle too many Rosetta WU's at the same time. Just got a message 'Windows increasing virtual memory, something might not work etc' . After that it downloaded 3 WCU WU's OK - but they all reported 'Unrecoverable error for result (whatever) - (Incorrect function. (0x1) - exit code 1 (0X1))' without even starting!

Ho Hum - I was wondering when it'd reach it's limit.
I got a similar type error message:

Unrecoverable error for result (whatever) - (The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3) - exit code 3 (0X3)

on a P3/600Mhz with 128Mb.

Maybe the "memory" is now a limitation? Was working fine until about 00:08 this morning when trying to download new WU's...

Maybe somethings changed at WCG?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

140th Position now, hopefully up some more places before the crunch weekend starts and then another boost to the stats after the crunch
RodEllery

Post by RodEllery »

A word of warning
19/06/2006 13:12:36|World Community Grid|Unrecoverable error for result faah0589_d292cb180_x1hpv_00_0 (No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept. (0x47) - exit code 71 (0x47))
A nice way of losing 9 hours of crunching.........

This causes a 'Computing Error' and your result gets trashed even though it was completed and trying to upload.

--
Rod
UBT - Halifax-lad

Right well Tim has moved everything around so WCG is now in the main forum.

So who's in for crunching WCG then and getting some more science done whilst also increasing our ranking to something better than what it is.

This is the only project we are not very good at for the moment
Martle

Post by Martle »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:This is the only project we are not very good at for the moment
I have a feeling that this could change.  :wink:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Martle wrote:I have a feeling that this could change.  :wink:
About time too :wink:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Like a huge tanker that takes ages to change directions we're getting there! It's taken all week but we actually went up 2 world places to #108 yesterday. According to BS Stats we may get back into to top 100 by the end of the month.

We should be able to overtake 'UK' in 15 days at current rate - they're at 98. They're still classed as 'International' but obviously they're a UK team and, as such, are a legitimate target as they may re-class as UK any time and take our position as UK #1 team.

Overtake stats
Last edited by UBT - Mikee on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Like a huge tanker that takes ages to change directions we're getting there! It's taken all week but we actually went up 2 world places to #108 yesterday. According to BS Stats we may get back into to top 100 by the end of the month.

We should be able to overtake 'UK' in 15 days at current rate - they're at 98. They're still classed as 'International' but obviously they're a UK team and, as such, are a legitimate target as they may re-class as UK any time and take our position as UK #1 team.

Overtake stats
UK have now been overtaken and we are less than 100 credits away from 100th place
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Mikee wrote:... we may get back into to top 100 by the end of the month.
We did that in style! A good two weeks early as well! Well done every one! Just 9 more days to go.

Image Image

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

If you're getting this...

18/12/2007 20:25:07|World Community Grid|Sending scheduler request: To fetch work.  Requesting 1067 seconds of work, reporting 0 completed tasks
18/12/2007 20:25:12|World Community Grid|Scheduler request failed: HTTP internal server error

It may be due to this...
We are changing some indexes to improve the db performance. While we do this you may observe error messages on the BOINC client.
Hopefully it should be back before everyone runs out of WUs!

Image Image

UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Running fine now :D