Downloads

A range of Biological/Medical Science projects that need our help, such as: Rosetta, Ralph
UBT - Rick Horn

Downloads

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

I wonder why Rosetta won`t let you download more than one WU at a time? I used to crunch for "Find A Drug" which let you download as many WUs as you liked, then you could crunch offline. I`m on an emergency dialup an the moment, and it`s a real pain having to have the phone tied up all the time. Maybe rosetta should consider using a similar system.

Rick.
:evil:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Downloads

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:I wonder why Rosetta won`t let you download more than one WU at a time? I used to crunch for "Find A Drug" which let you download as many WUs as you liked, then you could crunch offline. I`m on an emergency dialup an the moment, and it`s a real pain having to have the phone tied up all the time. Maybe rosetta should consider using a similar system.

Rick.
:evil:

How many Rosetta WU's do you normally "get" when on broadband?

Has your crunching slowed down recently, on Rosetta, as this might change the number of WU's that BOINC requests.

Also, IIRC, Rosetta has a "cap"  on the number of WU's that can be dowloaded per day - think it was 32, so if you've got a fast PC and have had a number of WU's "fail" recently then this might be the reason.

Also: If you are crunching on anotehr project (or more) then the time available to crunch the current crop of WU's might be limited, so BOINC doesn't download more than it knows can be completed within the "compeltion time".

regards,

Tim
UBT - Rick Horn

I can usually crunch a WU in about 2 hours or less. It dosen`t seem to make much difference whether I use dialup or broadband, although my computer is fairly slow by modern standards.

Regards,
Rick
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:I can usually crunch a WU in about 2 hours or less. It dosen`t seem to make much difference whether I use dialup or broadband, although my computer is fairly slow by modern standards.

Regards,
Rick
Hi Rick,

Sorry - meant how many WU's do you actually download each time you receive Rosetta WU's, when on broadband - I was getting maybe 2 or 3 at a time (when BOINC connected automatically).

Usually only receive 1 WU, when I did a manual connection (when sending WU's near to the end of the recent "Crunch" in order that they were credited sooner rather than later...!)

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Whats your connect to settings?? have a look at them in Rosetta BOINC options
UBT - Rick Horn

I`ve only ever had one current WU at any given time. Maybe my computer just isn`t up to it!

Regards,
Rick
UBT - Rick Horn

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Whats your connect to settings?? have a look at them in Rosetta BOINC options
I`ll try that. Thanks.

Regards,
Rick
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:I`ve only ever had one current WU at any given time. Maybe my computer just isn`t up to it!

Regards,
Rick
So, if you check "Your Account" settings on the Rosetta website:

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/home.php

go to General Preferences and check the "network usage" setting - if is says "connect every x days" - x - determines how many WU's you'll get - increase it and you should get more WU's downloaded each time you connect.

Don't increase by too much, else you'll download too many and you won't have time to return them before the deadline - would suggest you set it to no more than say 3 or 4 for now and then see what happens.

Note - this will also increase the number of WU's you'll download when you connect to other projects, so set these to "no new tasks/work" within BOINC, so you don't fill yourself up with loads of other work !!

regards,

Tim
Ram Raider

Post by Ram Raider »

You also have the option of specifying the target CPU time. Increasing this (to 1 day max) will also minimise your network traffic.

Cheers

Richard
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Adjusting the length of the rosetta work units is probably the simplest way to go and I think Rosetta prefer you to crunch longer units if possible. :)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:Adjusting the length of the rosetta work units is probably the simplest way to go and I think Rosetta prefer you to crunch longer units if possible. :)

Well, Rick has a single computer with an "AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+" CPU. Not so bad as he thinks !!

This currently takes betwen 6,000 and 10,000 seconds (1.5 - 3 hours) for a credit of between 13 and 30 per WU.

Aren't the longer timescale WU's "bigger" to download, esp. over dial-up?

Or ar they all the same length, just the processing time is different?

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

They are same download length but the upload is bigger depending how many hours you process a WU for