New Guy Question

A range of Biological/Medical Science projects that need our help, such as: Rosetta, Ralph
Zeffer

New Guy Question

Post by Zeffer »

What effect will changing the Rosetta@home preferences make like

Percentage of CPU time used for graphics = not selected
Number of frames per second for graphics = not selected
Target CPU run time = Not Selected

will there be any change to my credits if i change any of them

i run my pc 24/7
intel core 2 quad Q6600
4 GB Ram
Temujin

Re: New Guy Question

Post by Temujin »

Zeffer wrote:Percentage of CPU time used for graphics = not selected
Number of frames per second for graphics = not selected
I think these 2 control how the screensaver works, which, if you're after max credits/hour, you shouldn't run as it takes CPU from the rosetta application.
Zeffer

1 Day or Lower

Post by Zeffer »

So is it better to run Target CPU run time = 1 day or lower as this computer to never stop crunching even when i play games like COD4 and Hellgate london i know it will slow the crunching down and i get less FPS but i can live with that .
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Re: 1 Day or Lower

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Zeffer wrote:So is it better to run Target CPU run time = 1 day or lower as this computer to never stop crunching even when i play games like COD4 and Hellgate london i know it will slow the crunching down and i get less FPS but i can live with that .
Rosetta is a little different to some of the projects in that to a certain extent you can choose how long each work unit runs for (project prefers longer runners).
Those preferences do not change when your PC crunches---"When and how BOINC uses your computer-Computing preferences" is where you choose the % of time Boinc runs, how much memory to use etc.
This can be changed from the "your account" page on any of the projects you run or from Boinc Manager on your PC by going to "advanced" then "preferences".
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Zeffer wrote:So is it better to run Target CPU run time = 1 day or lower as this computer to never stop crunching even when i play games like COD4 and Hellgate london i know it will slow the crunching down and i get less FPS but i can live with that .
BOINC Manager also sets itself to have the lowest priority when it comes to CPU usage. If it detects that any other program requires CPU usage then it automatically slows or stops to allow that other program CPU time.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Depresion

Post by Depresion »

UBT - Mikee wrote:
BOINC Manager also sets itself to have the lowest priority when it comes to CPU usage. If it detects that any other program requires CPU usage then it automatically slows or stops to allow that other program CPU time.
That's the theory, it dosn't play well with FloWorks under XP64 for me and that's only single threaded. Still it's not a big deal to snooze

As for runtime I use a full day, Rosetta seems to use work units that consist of lots of individual molecules and over the course of it's runtime works out how long each takes to crunch then when it gets to the point the next task will over run it stops the workunit.  It dosn't strike me as the most efficent system.