BOINC/SETI@Home Causing System Crash

SETI@home and SETI BETA - project now closed, maybe for good :-(
Torn Jacketson

BOINC/SETI@Home Causing System Crash

Post by Torn Jacketson »

Hi guys,

Strange issue. My new system has been running fine for a few weeks now crunching at around 25k per day, but today my system keeps crashing if the SETI project is running. The system crashes out consistently after being up for a couple of minutes. If I suspend computation on SETI (only project I am running) then the system stays up. Conclusion, something bad has been downloaded in one of the new work-units that is running (limits it to 1 of 12).

Anyone experienced anything like this before, and any ideas how I can get round it short of uninstalling BOINC and abandoning the 80+ units I have downloaded.

Typical that this would happen now as I am rapidly closing in on my first million!!

Thanks,
Steve
Torn Jacketson

Re: BOINC/SETI@Home Causing System Crash

Post by Torn Jacketson »

Just tried it again as I was finding it hard to believe. System had been up and stable for 45 minutes with SETI suspended. I resumed the processing and within 30 seconds the system crashed again .... it is definitely BOINC/SETI causing this problem

Steve
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Sounds to me like it may be an overheating problem. I had this on an old system a few years ago when the processor just decided it was going to overheat no matter what I tried to do.

However, that was an old system and it was on it's last legs anyway.

As this is unlikely (though still possible) it may still be an overheat problem for you. Have you opened the case and had a look this see if the CPU cooler is still operating and if so is it a bit clogged up? If it is it might be worth giving it a careful clean out.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Torn Jacketson

Post by Torn Jacketson »

Hi Mike,

I have had the system in pieces overnight (looking forward to a day at work now ... not). Don't think it is the chip or cooler. System is Liquid Cooled with twin fans on the rad (one pushing air through, the other pulling - one each side). I will dismantle the fans/rad assembly to check to see if there are any blockages, but airflow seems to be normal.

I have done a full test on all parts, and it seems that I may have fried a 4Gb bank of memory. I used MemTest86+ and it was reporting 1000's of errors (I aborted at 32k+!!). With numerous swapping in and out I have managed to isolate a single stick causing the problems. I am now in the process of tracking down a replacement stick. I am currently up and running on half memory, and the system seems stable - at least it has been up for a couple of hours without me fiddling with something. Fingers crossed.

Looks like all the other stuff was not hitting memory as hard as BOINC, so when that fired up it was hitting memory hard and having issues with the bad stick. I take it back BOINC - you are not the culprit - you just showed me that there was a problem!

I will leave the system running today to check stability, but I think I have found the issue.

Cheers,
Steve
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Steve,

Looks like you are on the way with sorting this out - I've only just seen the OP so I was going to suggest either a cooling issue or a hardware issue. Looks like it's the latter. The SETI app itself is pretty stable and rarely causes issues, but as you've found, it can be memory intensive, esp if you have a multi-core CPU and maybe a later version of WIndows.

In all my time running PC's I've only ever come across maybe 3 or 4 "bad" sticks of RAM....though I've had quite a few bad PSU's ;)

Fingers crossed it's sorted and you can claim your first million real soon.

regards
Tim
Torn Jacketson

Post by Torn Jacketson »

Hi Tim,

This is my first bad stick of memory ever. The system has stayed up all day, though it is "limping" along compared to other days as I am running without two sticks of memory in as I have to remove in pairs. No worries, a new matched pair will be in my hands tomorrow for insertion tomorrow evening so I should be back up to speed.

Steve
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :text-+1:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

:text-yeahthat:
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam