SETI Beta - Nvidia GPU

SETI@home and SETI BETA - project now closed, maybe for good :-(
Ben

SETI Beta - Nvidia GPU

Post by Ben »

At long last here it is  8)

I've just started a WU on the GPU and boy is it flying  :P I've selected to only do the classic for now though. Any other takers?  :)

URL ---> http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/beta
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Nice find!

Haven't done SETI for months - will see how it goes. Would be nice to have the option to select GPU only in the preferences though.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Or maybe not! :(

Didn't have time this morning to nurse the new CUDA driver so left it to it. Came back tonight and it was still showing as installing! Obviously locked up. Rebooted. Windows complained and apologised for the inconvenience how would I like to restart? Keyboard wouldn't work! Switched off and plugged in a PS2 keyboard - windows complained but at least I restarted into last known good configuration.

All worked except BOINC! Reinstalled 6.4.5 no, uninstalled and reinstalled - no.

Something to do with the CUDA drivers? Tried to reinstall the new version - installed this time but still no BOINC.

Plan B then!

System restore back to yesterday. Restart OK! No BOINC at all now!
Installed BOINC 6.4.5 - yippee!

All the projects have gone but at least it started!

Attached to SETI to see if a GPU WU would download but it didn't.

Seems my system doesn't like CUDA version 2.1 (180.60) :(

Image Image

Ben

Post by Ben »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Or maybe not! :(

Didn't have time this morning to nurse the new CUDA driver so left it to it. Came back tonight and it was still showing as installing! Obviously locked up. Rebooted. Windows complained and apologised for the inconvenience how would I like to restart? Keyboard wouldn't work! Switched off and plugged in a PS2 keyboard - windows complained but at least I restarted into last known good configuration.

All worked except BOINC! Reinstalled 6.4.5 no, uninstalled and reinstalled - no.

Something to do with the CUDA drivers? Tried to reinstall the new version - installed this time but still no BOINC.

Plan B then!

System restore back to yesterday. Restart OK! No BOINC at all now!
Installed BOINC 6.4.5 - yippee!

All the projects have gone but at least it started!

Attached to SETI to see if a GPU WU would download but it didn't.

Seems my system doesn't like CUDA version 2.1 (180.60) :(

Ahhh noooo mikeeee! Only use 'CUDA 2' and not CUDA 2.1 BETA (our 8800GT's don't support it i don't think?). But CUDA 2 works fine  :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Duh! Best I scroll down the list then! :oops:

Image Image

Ben

Post by Ben »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Duh! Best I scroll down the list then! :oops:
It's an easy mistake to make. Had all sorts of problems with GPU Grid before i managed to get a stable set of drivers + the right CUDA drivers  :oops:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Given up on this for now!

Have had to go back to previous versions of CUDA and BOINC manager. BOINC would not do more than 3WUs + GPU WU - SETI wouldn't start at all!
GPU credits dropped to 2435 each from 3232 each as well  :(

Image Image

Ben

Post by Ben »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Given up on this for now!

Have had to go back to previous versions of CUDA and BOINC manager. BOINC would not do more than 3WUs + GPU WU - SETI wouldn't start at all!
GPU credits dropped to 2435 each from 3232 each as well  :(

Yeah i noticed with the newest version of the boinc manager it wouldn't let me do the usual 4wu's + a cuda project like seti or gpugrid. However, i also have stopped breifly with seti as it was giving me BSOD  :?

As for gpugrid, the credits are still the same BUT, there are some test wu's out where they complete 30% quicker and therefore you get less credit from what i understand from their forums.
Ben

Post by Ben »

The new version for the SETI Beta CUDA app has been released and now doesn't leave 'snow' on your screen and crash your drivers, hurrah!
Siborg

Post by Siborg »

Do GPU wu's work on ATI cards too? I don't know anything about CUDA but I've just ordered a new 4870 ATI card. It would be nice if I could do extra wu's.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Siborg wrote:..... but I've just ordered a new 4870 ATI card. It would be nice if I could do extra wu's.
Now your talking :D

You will be amazed at how well a HD4870 does.
I don't think they can run seti/beta but they can definately run Milkyway and Collatz conjecture

A HD4870 running the milkyway project will produce something like 95,000 credits a day :shock:
Or about 50,000 a day running collatz

Milkyway needs some "tinkering" to get it running but collatz should work straight away if you have a recent version of boinc (like 6.10.17 or newer)
Siborg

Post by Siborg »

Well that's good news, it means I can run one project on each processor and one on the GPU, nice  :D
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

where are the mods  when needed ?

b. :D
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

UBT - bobuk wrote:where are the mods  when needed ?

b. :D
Here`s one Bob!  :lol: