How COOL is this?

SETI@home and SETI BETA - project now closed, maybe for good :-(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

How COOL is this?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all

Take just a few seconds to visit the SETI@home project here - it is visually quite stunning (IMHO):

https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/kiosk/

I never knew this was there !!!

regards
Tim
damienh
UBT Contributor

Re: How COOL is this?

Post by damienh »

That's very cool indeed. I've not seen this kind of thing for this or any other project actually!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: How COOL is this?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

HI Damien

One thing it does rather show up is the limited number of hosts in the Southern hemisphere (excluding Australasia) that are returning tasks.

Of course one can easily link this to poverty and the limited connectivity to the internet, in these regions.

Which does rather show that launching all these cubesat-type satellites to provide wider internet coverage does seem to make some sense...even if it is driven from a profit motive, rather than a "caring and sharing" approach.

(I used to have a monitoring program that had a nice graphical display that showed bytes in and bytes out of a webserver farm, that I managed...and from that it emailed me hourly reports of bandwidth used...was useful to be able to report to clients how well their website was doing in terms of serving up pages...of course Google Analytics then did their own version...).

regards
Tim