Distributed.net goes cuda

Various OTHER distributed computing projects, such as Folding@home, Dimes, Majestic-12, etc
NaRyan

Distributed.net goes cuda

Post by NaRyan »

Distributed.net now has a cuda based app.
It runs the RSA Labs 72-bit secret-key challenge, trying to crack 72-bit encryption.
According to their status page at their current rate they will test all keys in about 650 years :P

It works on all cuda capable cards
So if you have a cuda v1.0 based card (like 8800GTX) that gpugrid won't run on, Distributed.net will run :D

You need to be running the cuda 2.0 drivers, cuda 1.1 and cuda 2.1 drivers won't work.
You also need to install the cuda 2.0 toolkit.
You can find the cuda driver and toolkit, on Nvidia's Cuda download page

Just pick your OS and download the cuda 2.0 driver and cuda 2.0 toolkit, not the cuda 2.1 version!

You can get the Distributed.net cuda app from their pre-release page.
Available for Win x86 (will run on x64),Mac OSx/Darwin & Linux x86/x64.

Just extract the files from the .zip, move the folder to somewhere sensible and run the .exe file, 1st time run it will ask you to config it, basically just put an e-mail address in, save & exit and run it again.

It does use up 1 core, however boinc plays nice with it, you will lose some performance from Boinc and distributed.net.
The 4 cpu's running Boinc are saying 75% usage for each core, and distributed.net dropped from 330,xxx,xxx keys a sec to 300,xxx,xxx keys a sec, on my 9800GTX+

No Boinc credit of course, but it's something else to try :)
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Since there is no UBT over there, I set one up

UK BOINC Team, Team #31877, It says no members & no work done at the mo, but that will change after the 0:00 UTC update :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Nice one NA. I have downloaded the CUDA .zip file and will stick the GT on it once it finishes GPUGrid  :D

***Edit***
Done 1WU quite quick, but now back on GPUGrid for the moment. Although the prize money is tempting!  :P
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Gone back to doing this for a while.
Fed up with Boinc projects, punishing the people who do their work just to keep "certain" users happy.....

Besides need to impove our "odds of 1 in a zillion-trillion" in being the team to find the key ;)

heh and 24 hours later, the odds have slightly improved.
From 1 in a zillion-trillion to 1 in 2,334 of finding the key... :lol:
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Thanks to Moo, our odds are now 1 in 691.  :wink:
DerekMessina

Post by DerekMessina »

This cuda sounds interesting, I'm gonna research more about this. Thanks for the info.
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris »

There is also a task set on distributed.net that runs on CPU. Again, it takes some power from BOINC (my WCG WUs that used to take 7 - 8 hours now take 12- 13), but it is worth it - you can still do BOINC, just earn at a slightly slower rate.
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Chris,

So there *IS* a team already set up :wav:  - now I know why I couldn't set up a team all those moons ago... :banghead:

and I wonder why it didn't show up on the distributed.net "search for a team" section... :(

regards
Tim
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

There is only one set up for RC5, I think, but for some reason, you still can't set one up on OGR-NG...
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

UBT - Chris wrote:There is only one set up for RC5, I think, but for some reason, you still can't set one up on OGR-NG...
Hi Chris,

As far as I know (which doesn't count for much I'm afraid) the team is set up for all the applications on distributed.net, it only shows RC5 results because that's all that the two team members have ever crunched. You should be able to join the team and then crunch which ever sub project you want to.

It has to be said that I've never crunched distributed.net directly, only through the wrappers like Yoyo and Moo. Yoyo automatically enrolls you into their team on DNET but Moo allows you to have your DNET credits awarded to the account and team of your choice, this means that for every WU I do on Moo I get both Boinc credits and DNET credits for doing the same work, which I still think is pretty neat.   :D

James.
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

that is neat, James :D I'll try Moo out later on...