Folding@Home NVIDIA GPU Client Confirmed

Various OTHER distributed computing projects, such as Folding@home, Dimes, Majestic-12, etc
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Not much info on the page *ahem*
Apparently we aren't allowed to talk about specifics on performance of the client, mostly because the numbers we saw were based on an "upcoming NVIDIA GPU"*.  I don't think I'll be spoiling anything by saying the new GPU was incredibly fast and the upcoming GPU will be faster than any Folding client today including the PS3; you will be impressed.

*Time to go rob the post office.
(note: No amount of bribing the police with choc HobNobs is going to get you out of that trouble!!!!)
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

So boinc on the cpu, and F@H on the gpu ...

hmm.. will the pc be able to do it ?

be a good stress tester if so ..

Thats 'if' the F@H user interface works, I hated the text version, and the gui version was awful to say the least ( hence my return to boinc )
Ben

Post by Ben »

2 shay! The PS3 interface though is awesome  :D
cris keys

Post by cris keys »

Ben wrote:2 shay! The PS3 interface though is awesome  :D
I have read a GTX280 can do ~650ns a day  :shock: How does that compare to a PS3?
cris keys

Post by cris keys »

fellie wrote:So boinc on the cpu, and F@H on the gpu ...

hmm.. will the pc be able to do it ?

be a good stress tester if so ..

Thats 'if' the F@H user interface works, I hated the text version, and the gui version was awful to say the least ( hence my return to boinc )
What I have read about the GTX series is that the GPU only requires 1 CPU core to run CUDA. I would guess that using both at the same time is easily possible on multi core CPUs.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

cris keys wrote:
Ben wrote:2 shay! The PS3 interface though is awesome  :D
I have read a GTX280 can do ~650ns a day  :shock: How does that compare to a PS3?
How does 650ns/day compare to boinc credits?
Over the last 28 days, my PS3 has averaged 4360 boinc credits per day running PS3Grid in linux

edit
a bit of searching on PS3Forum seems to suggest a PS3 returns something around 350-400 ns/day, so that would make your GTX280 ~= 2 x PS3 ~= 2 x Core2Quad.
Non too shabby for a graphics card :shock:

and I think PS3grid will also support cuda cards soon
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Well I tried the GPU prog on my 8800GT & 8800GTX, and boy was it pathetic!

On the 8800GT it made the system lag quite bad.
On the 8800GTX it made the card give out a high pitched whining noise, and the system was a ikkle bit lagged.

Still only beta, but looks fast as it was saying about 2 hours to do 1 work unit (on the 8800GT) no idea about the 8800GTX as soon as the whine started I closed the program.

Or it could be down to the Nvidia drivers, as they were meant for series 9, GTX2xx cards, was using them with a mod .inf to make em work on Series 8 cards.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Just installed my new 8800GT today  :D

It's now crunching F@H at breakneck speed! No troubles for me so far, and it seems to be working a treat. Anyone else care to join the chase? Dare I say it.. BUK are you interested?  :wink:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Looked for you in the team stats, Ben, but I couldn't find you? :?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Ben wrote:Anyone else care to join the chase?
I've just got meself an El Cheapo 8800GS to replace an ATI x1300 because the ATI linux drivers are poo.

I went for an 8800 cos PS3Grid are meant to be supporting cuda soon and I thought I could give it a go.
If I can get F@H running on it and it doesn't kill my linux box then yes, I'm in :thumbup:

assuming F@H runs on linux of course Image
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Think it's windows only at the moment as they only have a forum called Beta testing the GPU2 Win client (nVidia GPUs) :(
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

NaRyan wrote:Think it's windows only at the moment as they only have a forum called Beta testing the GPU2 Win client (nVidia GPUs) :(
bum :(

From that link, there might be a Linux/Wine workaround and there's talk of a linux app, so I might join you at some point.

Or I could put the 8800 in the windows machine Image
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Temujin wrote:bum :(

From that link, there might be a Linux/Wine workaround and there's talk of a linux app, so I might join you at some point.

Or I could put the 8800 in the windows machine Image
Cool, hope it works out :)
I'm only really trying F@H just to see how well the CUDA stuff works out (quite well ;)) as soon as BOINC projects start to use is F@H is getting forgotten and BOINC projects will get the attention :)
(as long as it's not seti :P)
UBT - Nogbo

Post by UBT - Nogbo »

Have this running on a GeForce 9600 GT and seems to be running ok so far.

Returned my first work unit this evening.

Will have to see how it goes.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Not bad! We are getting quite a team up together on this long neglacted project! Graphics cards of the world, unite!  :P
Ben

Post by Ben »

I have now installed XP Pro x64 edition and the Nvidia client now works properly (had some problems with the vista one).

So here i am, and joining the chase!  8)
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

And I have quit, lol
PS3GRID for moi on the 8800GT system, adds to ye old Boinc credit (got to get ma 2 million faster)

And I got annoyed with the desktop lag it was causing on the 8800GTX poota, plus that high pitched squeal could get annoying at times.
Roll on the Windows version of PS3GRID, as setting up the Linux version was a pain. :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

I know what you mean about the lag, especially if you run BOINC alongside it with 3 cores. It can be a bit unresponsive at times! :?

I also see now what you meant by "don't use the graphical bit" that comes with it, you may as well go and get a coffee and come back to the system to finally see a window minimise. Although, with vista this wasn't a problem as it worked really smoothly, just a shame about it bombing out.

As for PS3 Grid.. Go for it! It will give the rest of us a chance to catch up!!  :lol: