Net Dimes

Various OTHER distributed computing projects, such as Folding@home, Dimes, Majestic-12, etc
UBT - Halifax-lad

Net Dimes

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

OK, new post, last one was messy

Anyone wanna come and join me over in NetDimes :?:
What does the Internet look like? How does it evolve?

DIMES is a distributed scientific research project, aimed to study the structure and topology of the Internet, with the help of a volunteer community (similar in spirit to projects such as SETI@Home).

Due to the way the Internet is engineered, distributing the Internet mapping effort is very important, and the only efficient way to measure the Internet structure is by asking you to participate. What we ask is not so much your CPU or bandwidth (which we hardly consume), but rather, your location. The more places we'll have presence in, the more accurate our maps will be. Understanding the structure and function of the Internet is an important research task, that will allow to make the Internet a better place for all of us.

The DIMES agent performs Internet measurements such as TRACEROUTE and PING at a low rate, consuming at peak 1KB/S. The agent DOES NOT send any information about its host's activity/personal data, and sends ONLY the results of its own measurements. Aside from giving a good feeling, running the DIMES agent will also provide you with maps of how the Internet looks from your home (currently) and will (in the future) provide you with a personalized 'Internet weather report' and other user-focused features.

We are welcoming DIMES pioneers who want to participate in our initial measurement effort and help us discover the Internet.
So since I asked for people to join earlier on today we have shot up 135 places, (mainly due to me leaving the lookers team and moving my old identity to UBT along with all the points it had) but also down to the new members we have got on the team:

UBT - PaulT
RodEllery
Ram Raider

and of course me I have 2 Id's on there one is not used anymore.

Here is a stats page Free DC have done based on XML files, it is updated hourly so long as the servers are fine

Basic control over any agents you are running can be done through DIMES Control Center a web page you can log into.

Have got a bit of basic info regarding settings, you will get more work out of DIMES if you change your network settings to a 15 second delay between measurements, that's the quickest DIMES can go.

Set the file transfer rate to what ever your net connection can handle

I would recommend that anyone who has downloaded DIMES 0.4.2 to go to the DIMES Control Center now and update there DIMES Client (s) through there to 0.4.3, it will update when it connects to the server again.

With the new version there is then a option in DIMES to auto-update useful to keep on top of new versions available.

If we want to keep climbing positions we need more people so please give it a try, it won't affect BOINC
UBT - Halifax-lad

Were now at position 298, not bad to say we started off at 402 this morning :occasion5:

Still require more people to get further up this board, don't be boring and get it installed, its nice and easy.

There is a service install of it coming out soon
UBT - Halifax-lad

Whilst signing up to Red Library, don't forget to join us also on DIMES (We Need Your HELP), both of them run well together as well as with BOINC

We are now at position 230, which is another 68 places up in 2 days and a massive 172 places up in the last 3 days.

2 new members

UBT - Mikeejones
Francis McDermott

some of us are not pulling our weight

UBT - PaulT
Ram Raider
is there a problem with DIMES at your end of did you just not like it?
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote: some of us are not pulling our weight

UBT - PaulT
Ram Raider
is there a problem with DIMES at your end of did you just not like it?
Sorry. Had stoped the DIMES client whilst sorting out a problem with my network card and forgot to restart the thing when I sorted the problem  :oops:
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

Joined you at DIMES lets beat em up.  :violent1:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - JsF wrote:Joined you at DIMES lets beat em up.  :violent1:
Nice one :!:

Also now in the top 200 :lol:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

I've Joined aswell
Francis McDermott
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Re: Net Dimes

Post by Francis McDermott »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote: Image
How long does it take to build up something like that picture?

I have only the tree node in the middle of mine, but I do get a "Destination host didn't reply" on all of the traces so that could be something to do with it...

I've fiddled around with my firewall (ZoneAlarm) settings but no joy.

Any one with any ideas please?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Yeah! I only got a blank screen as well!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Doesn't take too long about 5-10 mins, you will get that message quite often it is normal, what is NetDimes trying to do ICMP or UDP?

Agent - Properties - Network, bottom of the dialog box it will have a radio button highlighted.

What firewall are you running, and if you leave DIMES running do you get any points building up :?:

PS: I have probably been passed by some inconsiderate users :lol:  Lost my internet connection over night
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Seems like I'm running the same as Francis. The 'radio lights' -  should they be 'greyed out' or another colour? When I checked they were red, but after faffing about with Zonealarm they grayed out (added Dimes manually checked, then switched it off - both times went grey - don't like having Zonealarm off so it's back on again now and showing:- white = UDP, Green = ICMP, "Blocked status" = both greyed out.

However, now the 'tree' thing is wobbling about the screen instead of staying in the middle which is an improvement I suppose!

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

This is what mine is like, as you can see UDP is blocked (red) but ICMP is fine, if you have ZA you should be able to manually configure it to allow NetDimes should come up in your firewall as Java (TM) 2 Standard Platform or something similar.

you can also click check blocking once all your settings on ZA are sorted and Dimes will check to see if it can get through, failing all that just leave it running a few hours or so and see what happens have a look at the stat site mentioned further up to see if any results have been sent in

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

OK! Gotta image!

Still looks naff tho! :D

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

That's it your up & running now.

Tip for all of you running it, as the graphic can use up CPU resources set the tab to messages and then minimise it, this reduces the CPU resources the graphic would have used
UBT - PiezPiedPy

I want bigger maps, only does a small number of nodes per WU  :cry:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:I want bigger maps, only does a small number of nodes per WU  :cry:
I don't look at them, well I do every now and then just to check it is still running
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - PaulT wrote:Sorry. Had stoped the DIMES client whilst sorting out a problem with my network card and forgot to restart the thing when I sorted the problem  :oops:
Have you stopped DIMES again :?:
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
UBT - PaulT wrote:Sorry. Had stoped the DIMES client whilst sorting out a problem with my network card and forgot to restart the thing when I sorted the problem  :oops:
Have you stopped DIMES again :?:
No  :?:
UBT - Halifax-lad

According to the stats you have had no credits today, maybe just a glitch in the stats, if DIMES appears to be working.

Also Ram Raider whenever you see this are you having problems with DIMES :?:
Francis McDermott

:(  I set ZoneAlarm to Low security level and even turned it off completely, but still UDP and ICMP are blocked. It is set to use ICMP now but got no luck with UDP selected either.

I am getting results through, as the stats site shows, but every single one of my destination hosts do not reply.  :roll:

I'll update you if I manage to get any progress with this.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Francis McDermott wrote:I am getting results through, as the stats site shows, but every single one of my destination hosts do not reply.  :roll:
Thast is normal some servers reply and lots don't as long as the DIMES are coming in thats all that matters
Ram Raider

Post by Ram Raider »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Also Ram Raider whenever you see this are you having problems with DIMES :?:
Hi everybody,

Just after I installed DIMES I started getting various network problems. It was probably just a coincidence but I didn't have time to investigate further as I was going away for a couple of days. So I simply uninstalled it.

I may come back to this in the future when it's available to run as a service, but for the time being I won't be increasing my meagre total.

Cheers

Richard
UBT - Halifax-lad

Will let you know when there is a service version avilable, hopefully soon
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:According to the stats you have had no credits today, maybe just a glitch in the stats, if DIMES appears to be working.

Also Ram Raider whenever you see this are you having problems with DIMES :?:
Had DIMES running again this morning and see what you mean, no bloody credits. :twisted:

I have reinstalled the software and will see what happens.
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - PaulT wrote:Had DIMES running again this morning and see what you mean, no bloody credits. :twisted:

I have reinstalled the software and will see what happens.
Sounds like firewall problems to me, ZA use to sulk with DIMES on my computer back when I used to use ZA
UBT - PaulT

Post by UBT - PaulT »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Sounds like firewall problems to me, ZA use to sulk with DIMES on my computer back when I used to use ZA
Seems to be going ok again now.   I use sygate so ZA not the problem.  Perhaps something went worng with the client software.
Robert Boon

Post by Robert Boon »

Having joined this project I was amazed to discover that I appear to have an IP address that is in South Africa. Maybe I should go and join another team.  :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Robert Boon wrote:Having joined this project I was amazed to discover that I appear to have an IP address that is in South Africa. Maybe I should go and join another team.  :lol:
I suppose it depends who your internet provider is :?:
Robert Boon

Post by Robert Boon »

Robert Boon wrote:Having joined this project I was amazed to discover that I appear to have an IP address that is in South Africa. Maybe I should go and join another team.  :lol:
I suppose it depends who your internet provider is :?:
Tiscali.co.uk
UBT - Halifax-lad

Robert Boon wrote:Tiscali.co.uk
Dunno on that :?:

Quick update on DIMES, were now at position 142 which is a massive 260 places up in 7 days, now the hard work begins to rise up the ranks, alot of the teams are inactive or have a little amount of DIMES coming in, they have just got loads of credit due to having a head start from us
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

140 now - I wish they'd sort out the formatting on that page! Very difficult to read 123456 as
456!

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:140 now - I wish they'd sort out the formatting on that page! Very difficult to read 123456 as
456!
try this, its a stat site which has DIMES on it, that's what I use all the time now as DIMES stats are basic compared to Free DC Services
UBT - Steve Taylor

Post by UBT - Steve Taylor »

i joined
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Steve Taylor wrote:i joined
So you have I must have missed that when I looked through the stats
UBT - Halifax-lad

We are doing really well on DIMES still, now approaching position 100, we are currently on 107.

So dig out any computers with a net connection and get them hooked up to DIMES, and those of you who have not signed up yet please do so, it works with BOINC running.
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

I've joined NetDimes at last. Not without issue, though. My ISP have had a loop in their routeing to the NetDimes website for last few days. I thought that that was quite apt really...

Anyway, I've added three machines to the project.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Re: Joined

gregoryw wrote:I've joined NetDimes at last. Not without issue, though. My ISP have had a loop in their routeing to the NetDimes website for last few days. I thought that that was quite apt really...

Anyway, I've added three machines to the project.
Kewl, glad you got any issues sorted out, going to shoot up those ranking even quicker now.

Would have a look at the stats but the works firewall thinks Free DC Stats are a Game :shock:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

101 now - less than 2000 to get to hit the top 100!

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:101 now - less than 2000 to get to hit the top 100!
Nice one getting there now, the hardest work starts at around position 20 I think as that has all the active teams up there
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Top page at last! 97th now.

Now if only more people would join us at 'Red Library!

http://www.readyresponse.org/index.php? ... =12&tid=24

Image Image

UBT - Calum Mercer

Post by UBT - Calum Mercer »

Decided to join this as well!

:newb:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:Decided to join this as well!

:newb:
:wav:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Up to 69th place, goooooo on :headbang:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Any one wanting it as a Service install can go to the Download Page
UBT - Halifax-lad

Now in 62nd Place

So why not join us today if not your already in there with us, the team consists so far of:

mark3346
UBT - BHCJackie
UBT - Calum Mercer
gregoryw
UBT - Simon
UBT - Steve Taylor
Robert Boon
UBT - JsF
UBT - PiezPiedPy
UBT - Mikeejones
Francis McDermott
RodEllery
UBT - PaulT
Ram Raider
Halifax--lad (my old account)
UBT - Halifax--lad
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Tut Tut -  No 'UBT - Timbo' on the list of users :evil:
-------------------------------------
My cable modem locks up after a full days hit of NetDimes, no probs if I leave Dimes off, anyone any ideas on whats happinin?? :x

Brand New (2 weeks old) Motorola SB5101E, I'm now thinkin maybe Dimes poped my old modem  :lol:
gregoryw

Welcome to Dazza

Post by gregoryw »

Welcome to Dazza, who joined the UBT NetDimes team yesterday.
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Tut Tut -  No 'UBT - Timbo' on the list of users :evil:
-------------------------------------
My cable modem locks up after a full days hit of NetDimes, no probs if I leave Dimes off, anyone any ideas on whats happinin?? :x

Brand New (2 weeks old) Motorola SB5101E, I'm now thinkin maybe Dimes poped my old modem  :lol:
Shouldn't be anything wrong with your modem I have the same one and all works fine, perhaps a problem with the network card or some other hardware problem :?:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Shouldn't be anything wrong with your modem I have the same one and all works fine, perhaps a problem with the network card or some other hardware problem :?:
Can't even access the modem config screens until I turn the modem off then back on.  Think I'll get my ISP to give me another one and see what happens
UBT - Halifax-lad

Currently sat in 57th position a few more easy teams to pass and then you will see it gets to the hardest part yet catching up to those big teams

See here

Still need many more people to join the project, its easy to use and just set & forget it once its running, so think about throwing a machine or two or more on to DIMES and join up if you have not already done so.

Don't forget a service version is out which is currently been tested
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Finally got Dimes ported through ZoneAlarm

If ya want to know, ers how:

Go to 'Custom Firewall Settings->Internet Zone' its in Firewall->Main->Internet Zone->Custom

Check these on: (Red cross in the box :wink: )
Allow incoming ping (ICMP Echo)
Allow outgoing ping (ICMP Echo)
Allow other outgoing ICMP
Allow outgoing UDP ports: 137, 33435-33438

Dimes works kewl now with ZoneAlarm 8)
Last edited by UBT - PiezPiedPy on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

Nice one, PiezPiedPy.   :thumbup:
Francis McDermott

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Finally got Dimes ported through ZoneAlarm

Go to 'Custom Firewall Settings->Internet Zone' its in Firewall->Main->Internet Zone->Custom
Doh! I haven't got a Custom setting. Do you have ZoneAlarm Pro perchance?
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Francis McDermott wrote:Do you have ZoneAlarm Pro perchance?
ZoneAlarm Pro v6.1.744
Francis McDermott

We're in the top 50 now :!:

We should go up 10 places in the next 10 days, but the rise will be much slower after that.
UBT - Halifax-lad

We are averaging at the moment 49,233 DIMES a day.

Still need more people & machines to get up there into the top position.

So hunt out those computers that are switched on wasting there time and get DIMES installed. Anyone not using it please do so
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Keep forgetin to start it :oops:

Got it on now :wink:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Keep forgetin to start it :oops:

:withstupid:  :tool:

Can you not just leave it on?
UBT - PiezPiedPy

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Keep forgetin to start it :oops:

:withstupid:  :tool:

Can you not just leave it on?
I turn everythin off I don't need when playin games, get tired, go agggggghhhhhhhh ad enough, turn comp off, go to bed, get up, forget to start everythin again, go to work, get back, then go bollocks didn't start netdimes again, play games, get tired, go agggggghhhhhhhh ad enough, turn comp off, go to bed, get up, forget to start everythin again, go to work, get back, then go bollocks didn't start netdimes again, play games, get tired, go agggggghhhhhhhh ad enough, turn comp off, go to bed, get up, forget to start everythin again, go to work, get back, then go bollocks didn't start netdimes again.

Now if I could just break this visious cycle... :?  

Maybee if I slipped a note onto my fridge "TURN ON DIMES", wait there a sec, dumb de dumb de dumb, scribble scribble scribble, thats the one, nice new note stuck on fridge 8)
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Maybee if I slipped a note onto my fridge "TURN ON DIMES", wait there a sec, dumb de dumb de dumb, scribble scribble scribble, thats the one, nice new note stuck on fridge 8)
LOL
UBT - Halifax-lad

Stick it in the start up folder that way at least it should come on when you switch the computer on
UBT - Calum Mercer

We should be passing a few teams in the next week - all going well. Congratulations to everyone involved! :clock:

Now who else wants to join in and speed things up? :)  :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Up to 38th now - should be 34th by the end of the day!

Image Image

UBT - Calum Mercer

excellent progress! :occasion5:
UBT - Halifax-lad

I make it 35th place by the end of the day

Good work all
UBT - Halifax-lad

A few requests to try and up the DIMES rolling in.

1. If you participated and stopped please start up again (any probs running it ask away)

2. Sign up if your reading this and not running it or find another computer to add it to as well

3. Those of you running it make a couple of settings changes

Open up DIMES
Click Agent, Click Properties, Click Network
Change Delay between measurements to 15 seconds & File Transfer Rate to 51
Save settings and leave DIMES running this will hopefully bring in some extra DIMES for you
UBT - Calum Mercer

Good advice   :idea:  - have made the changes

We are now at 36 and should soon be at 35

UBT - Calum Mercer

Dazza seems to have dropped out of the stats and we have as a result dropped down to 39th again? :o
UBT - Calum Mercer

With Dazza off the team list  on netdimes :o  :shock:  we have fallen down to 39th Place - the good news is that within a couple of days we should be up to 35th! :D

keep up the good work everyone
UBT - Calum Mercer

On the way up again! :D

Into 38th Place
UBT - Calum Mercer

and we are now up to 35th place - well done everyone!

gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

34!!! :wav:

Well done all! :wav:
UBT - Calum Mercer

and now 33rd  :occasion5:

well down everyone :D  :D  :D

Now 2 weeks to go to catch up with Israel - anyone want to help speed things up?
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Just finished reinstalling my O/S (#@~!$-g XP) so I'm back on the frontline :twisted:
UBT - Calum Mercer

but I've just passed you - does that mean you are now going to overtake me???? :evil:  :evil:

It's not fair people keep doing that on Boinc projects as well - I get above 170 then someone passes me and I fall back again

:crybaby:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Moving on up Oh yeah :!:
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:but I've just passed you - does that mean you are now going to overtake me???? :evil:  :evil:

It's not fair people keep doing that on Boinc projects as well - I get above 170 then someone passes me and I fall back again

:crybaby:
Dah. some people are dead mean  :cry:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Can't help it
Its in my blood to win  :wink:

But i'm gettin my ass kicked on uptime  :evil:
UBT - Calum Mercer

I only like to play when I can win :evil: and you are not being very helpful by failing to lose gracefully :lol:

and I can't buy another computer or 2 my wife would kill me or ask for diamonds/pampering weekends etc :cry:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

If you take her to Angolar there are wage slaves minning diamonds for peanuts , two birds with one stone , then you can get another comp on the sly while she lost in the bliss of blagdness :?
UBT - Calum Mercer

she has expensive tastes and enjoys luxury - might have to go to Angola on my own and leave her in a luxury hotel :lol:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

leave her on da step loooool  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Nearly time to pass Israel now Dazza has put DIMES back to the right team
UBT - Calum Mercer

We are carrying on with the upward move. We have now passed Israel to go into 32nd place. Well done everyone :sunny:  :sunny:

The next target is Team Fight and we should pass them in about 8 days :D
UBT - Halifax-lad

Its starting to get scary now 3,386.40 days until we can get into 10th place  :lol:  :lol:  But that's only if the other team at that level stop producing the DIMES.

So we need every person we can get now to help us drive on up to that magic number
UBT - Calum Mercer

Welcome to Dimes UBT - Chris Suddick - an excellent boost to our performance.

:occasion5:
UBT - Chris Suddick

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:Welcome to Dimes UBT - Chris Suddick - an excellent boost to our performance.

:occasion5:
Why thank you kind Sir. Actually, I started it several weeks ago but got distracted while I was doing it and then forgot all about it until I discovered it yesterday and decided to join the team. I hope the 65K+ credits are added to the team and not just lost. If the latter then "Sorry Chaps, won't let it happen again!"

Chris.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Results have already been added, they got done as soon as you join a team
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

i am up and running now!
UBT - PiezPiedPy

mmmmmmmmm nice
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Seems this has gone pear shaped!

Getting multiple
'INFO: Exchanging files with server...
06-08-01 10:24 dimes.scheduler.Scheduler handleResponse
WARNING: org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 1 of document : White spaces are required between publicId and systemId. Nested exception: White spaces are required between publicId and systemId.
06-08-01 10:24 dimes.scheduler.Scheduler sendReceive

Seems like a lot of other people are as well as the stats show a lots of '0's on the 'last update' and yesterdays results are a lot lower than usual for all teams.

Been reported on the forum but no reply from the admins yet. I suspect they're on holiday!  :D

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:Been reported on the forum but no reply from the admins yet. I suspect they're on holiday!  :D
Or maybe they are busy with War
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

Yes, I'm receiving those messages as well. I've only got the one agent running on my systems at the moment, to give as much of my resources to the SAP crunch as is possible. I'll bring my other agents online again in a week or two.
UBT - Halifax-lad

gregoryw wrote:Yes, I'm receiving those messages as well. I've only got the one agent running on my systems at the moment, to give as much of my resources to the SAP crunch as is possible. I'll bring my other agents online again in a week or two.
They are not CPU intensive so won't affect BOINC in the slightest
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

Ordinarily, yes. However, most of my DIMES clients are running inside VMs. Those VMs use a significant portion of both my processing power and memory.
UBT - Halifax-lad

DIMES is back good job I leave it open even when its bust
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

Hmmmm, what's happening here?! I didn't quote myself in that post. Nor did I write "How do you do that?"...
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

It looks like the issue has been fixed. We've now got 56,349 credits listed against out team for today so far.
UBT - Halifax-lad

gregoryw wrote:Hmmmm, what's happening here?! I didn't quote myself in that post. Nor did I write "How do you do that?"...
My fault :oops:  :oops:  As I have moderator powers I can edit all your posts, I pressed edit by mistake instead of quote.

I wanted to know how you do the VM thing
gregoryw

Post by gregoryw »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:I wanted to know how you do the VM thing
Simple. I run Virtual Server 2005. Inside that I have several installed virtual machines with various levels of OS installed on them. I use those to test the software that I develop on various platforms before it gets released. I've also used VMs to test out software that I don't want to (potentially) break my development system.

BTW, MS recently made Virtual Server a free download. You can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en