Net Dimes

Various OTHER distributed computing projects, such as Folding@home, Dimes, Majestic-12, etc
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Hi guys
There have been some problems in our servers in the previous days, mainly because of lack in hard disk space. we have too much data accumulating i guess... anyway , it is fixed now

In any case of a problem , you can email me at ohad@eng.tau.ac.il - sometimes it takes me some time to even know of a problem existance , so your help will be valued greatly.
thanks to jjjpflin for keeping me posted.

Ohad
gregoryw
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by gregoryw »

You might want to obfuscate Ohad's email address such that there is one less place on the 'net for spam bots to get it from.
UBT - Halifax-lad

gregoryw wrote:You might want to obfuscate Ohad's email address such that there is one less place on the 'net for spam bots to get it from.
He put it out in the public domain for all to see, so if there are any problems people know where to contact him at
UBT - Halifax-lad

13 out of 20 members active come on you non-participants help the team get up the leader board :!:  Newbies welcome
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

4 million dimes passed! Australia just 240,000 in front - should catch them in a week or so!

Go team!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:4 million dimes passed! Australia just 240,000 in front - should catch them in a week or so!

Go team!
Passed them now 6 days roughly to pass terry.arnold they have not produced anything for a while so no competition there at all
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Up to 28th now!

In my effort to break everything (doing well - broke most things in 1 way or another) Just found out how to break this!

Anyone tried to uninstall it? The uninstaller removes most things but leaves a chunk in memory and won't uninstall even by deleting from the 'programs' folder. You have to use the uninstaller, then reboot to remove the stuff stuck in RAM! Then delete the remains from the 'programs' folder. You could probably use the 'task manager' to stop the process but it wasn't obvious which was causing the prob.

Reinstalls OK though.

OK - What's next to break! :withstupid:

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Don't uninstall it then :lol:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

If it ain't broke - don't fix it - I know. But the little cactus thing in the system tray disappeared and nothing would get it back. So I thought an uninstall/reinstall would fix it. It's back so all OK for now.

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Not using XP by any chance?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Not using XP by any chance?
Yes....... :oops:

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Right click on the task bar select properties, last option should be hide inactive icons if it is ticked then press customise in there is a list of every program that has ever or is now displaying a icon in the sys tray. You can hide ones forever, hide them when inactive or show always each one can be individually configured.

i have my box ticked and had to set DIMES to show always otherwise it soon got hidden
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Right click on the task bar select properties, last option should be hide inactive icons if it is ticked then press customise in there is a list of every program that has ever or is now displaying a icon in the sys tray. You can hide ones forever, hide them when inactive or show always each one can be individually configured.

i have my box ticked and had to set DIMES to show always otherwise it soon got hidden
Been there - done that! It just disappeared. I know it was running as when I tried to restart it told me so! I think it may have happened when I opened it from the tray. When you do the icon disappears until you close the agent window. I have a feeling it it didn't go back to the tray and sulked.

I've changed it to 'always show' now anyway.

Getting bored of breaking this - can I try something else now?  :D

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Try and break your Sig to give Dazza some work to do :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Come on people I'm sure some of you lurkers running BOINC can also run this project only needs a 24/7 net connection to run all the time or enable it when your on the net, takes up little CPU resources so BOINC will run fine too.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Try and break your Sig to give Dazza some work to do :lol:
No need - all ready broke! But not Dazza's fault and nothing he can do about it. Some of the RAC's are all pear shaped! I.E. Haven't done BURP for months and shows a RAC of 203. Total RAC of 704? I wish!

As far as I can see the Stats sigs are unbreakable (from this side anyway).

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Mikeejones wrote:No need - all ready broke! But not Dazza's fault and nothing he can do about it. Some of the RAC's are all pear shaped! I.E. Haven't done BURP for months and shows a RAC of 203. Total RAC of 704? I wish!
Nope not broken some projects operate there credit differently, some will let it gradually reduce to zero others don't have that option switched on so they RAC doesn't change if you don't produce anything.

BURP just happens to be one that doesn't have the option turned on as yet
UBT - Calum Mercer

Post by UBT - Calum Mercer »

We have just gone up another place on netdimes - well done guys
Martle

Post by Martle »

I'm trying to join but the thing won't register me as a new user.
Dimes Registration

Registering a new user ....

Communication Failed
DIMES agent will automatically try to register again in ..... seconds

Press the CANCEL button if you want to register again later
So here I am ready to go and watching this thing. Even turned my firewall off but no joy.  :cry:

Any suggestions anyone?
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

The stats haven't updated for three days now so I guess there is a problem with this project. Try again later I suppose.

Chris.
Martle

Post by Martle »

Left it overnight and it's finally connected.  :wink:
UBT - Calum Mercer

I have been getting a bit fed up with the apparently random and reduced points - it may be that I just don't really undestand what it is doing.

:scratch:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:I have been getting a bit fed up with the apparently random and reduced points - it may be that I just don't really undestand what it is doing.

:scratch:
Its called everyone is on a religious holiday and not at work
UBT - Calum Mercer

it must be a very long holiday - seems to have been happening for a long time now! :roll:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:it must be a very long holiday - seems to have been happening for a long time now! :roll:
It is and also all the trouble over there has not helped, when they get back to work everything will be adjusted again it happened once before and they just tweeked it all to work correctly and also the DIMES were set correctly
UBT - Calum Mercer

I just assumed that it was something that ran automatically and so holidays etc wouldn't really affect it.

In case it isn't obvious I'm not a techie :lol:
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:I just assumed that it was something that ran automatically and so holidays etc wouldn't really affect it.

In case it isn't obvious I'm not a techie :lol:
It does run automatically it just gets bugs in there now and again and it needs a poke with a stick much like what happens to projects every now & again on BOINC
Martle

Post by Martle »

As you can see, I've finally made it into the team.  :wink:

Now to get it installed onto my other machines.
UBT - Calum Mercer

bit concerning - I uninstalled the dimes agent q few days ago now but, looking at the website, it still seems to be reporting things

:?
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT - Calum Mercer wrote:bit concerning - I uninstalled the dimes agent q few days ago now but, looking at the website, it still seems to be reporting things

:?
As already mentioned its the servers catching up

Edit: Also uninstalling is bad :roll:
UBT - Calum Mercer

What you mean things don't happen instantly? :roll:  :shock:

Might experiment with re-installing  :wink:
UBT - Halifax-lad

~Yup as the servers are going slow its my guess that the credits are slowly trickling through
Martle

Post by Martle »

Had this baby running now for 72 hours with zilcho credits so far. Does it usually take this long to see a return?  :?
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

There have been no stats updates since 24 Sept. It'll come right one day.

Chris.
Martle

Post by Martle »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:There have been no stats updates since 24 Sept. It'll come right one day.

Chris.
Thanx Chris. Mr Impatient strikes again.  :roll:  :D
Martle

Is Dimes Dead?

Post by Martle »

This is the latest post on the Dimes forum : http://www.netdimes.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1379
Well, I've tried to PM Eran, Yoav, and Ela . . . and all went to my outbox . . . not sent.

I tried e-mailing Eran and Yuval and I will wait a couple days to see if they got through or were picked off by spam filters.

I tried calling Eran, but no answer or answering machine.

I called Yuval and left a message.

We'll have to wait a couple days to see if there's any response.

If I don't hear anything from anyone by Oct. 10th . . . I'm pulling the plug entirely on this project.
I wouldn't be that worried but noticed that early this afternoon all my agents lost contact with the servers.  :roll:

The fact that nobody is replying from NetDimes makes me wonder if this is the end of Dimes.  :cry:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Note the posts are all from members no staff around at all, something must be wrong in the background as they have never been away so long
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Not watched the news in weeks so I don't know if radioactive beta bomber anthrax bricks are still being launched at their heads
UBT - Halifax-lad

DIMES is now totally dead in the water it doesn't do anything now, maybe some one will pop by to fix things but I doubt it now its been a long time now with all these errors
Martle

Post by Martle »

I think the time has come to uninstall and move on.  :cry:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Martle wrote:I think the time has come to uninstall and move on.  :cry:
Well you have MJ-12 and if DIMES does come back you could always reinstall
Martle

Post by Martle »

It's just this minute kicked back in again.  :shock:
Martle

Post by Martle »

Martle wrote:It's just this minute kicked back in again.  :shock:
I spoke too soon. Only lasted a couple of hours and now it's down again. Still no communication from the staff on the boards. As a result of this, I've made up my mind not to waste any more processing cycles on this thing and to ditch the project completely.  :evil: