Majestic 12 - Am I Alone?

Various OTHER distributed computing projects, such as Folding@home, Dimes, Majestic-12, etc
UBT - The Prof....

Majestic 12 - Am I Alone?

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Am I the only one now running this?  :(
No one seems to have mentioned this for weeks, nor do the stats for it update any longer. [ Last update 10th July]
If no one else is interested I may as well give this up and use the pc cycles for something else... .. .

Answers, on postcards only please, to anyone but us  :?
Rockinfroggi

Re: Majestic 12 - Am I Alone?

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - The Prof.... wrote:Am I the only one now running this?  :(
No one seems to have mentioned this for weeks, nor do the stats for it update any longer. [ Last update 10th July]
If no one else is interested I may as well give this up and use the pc cycles for something else... .. .

Answers, on postcards only please, to anyone but us  :?
Sorry Bob, I'll be running it any time I'm home but that's the best I can do for the time being.

Gary.
Active Tech

Post by Active Tech »

i try to do some later today
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I've joined up and run some hours on it, but I need to ask a couple of  questions.

1) Does this mess with your internet connection? I've had to run the diagnos-
   tics and repair software twice now after losing my internet connection.

2) The interface seems very confusing to me (or is it me that's daft?) so I'm    
   running it 'straight out of the box', on the default settings. Are there any
   settings you'd recommend I alter to help it run faster?

Cheers! :D
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

melter65 wrote:I've joined up and run some hours on it, but I need to ask a couple of  questions.

1) Does this mess with your internet connection? I've had to run the diagnos-
   tics and repair software twice now after losing my internet connection.

2) The interface seems very confusing to me (or is it me that's daft?) so I'm    
   running it 'straight out of the box', on the default settings. Are there any
   settings you'd recommend I alter to help it run faster?

Cheers! :D

As far as I know it doesn't mess with your connection as such but it uses up bandwidth so can slow downloads and and page loading.

As for settings, if you don't want it to slow down your internet use then I'd leave the bog standard settings as they are, I've optimised mine and can process close to a million url's a day but it does slow things down.
When I want more bandwidth for downloads I just put MJ12 on snooze for a set time which can be done by right clicking on the icon in the system tray.

If you have further problems let me know and I will help where I can, but due to the short time I'm home I'll not have time to help you change all settings until mid November when I hope to be free from my long stays in hospital.

Gary.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Cheers Mr Frog, there's only thee and me crunching this at the moment!

I've been on the Maj 12 forum asking questions as I'm getting a lot of 'v. high' errors :(

I'm on the cable broadband, so I know I shouldn't have a problem, but I have suffered two outages since I started crunching Maj 12, so I had to ask the question!

Thanks Gary! 8)
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

I have noticed MJ12 playing up since joining Yoyo, it was running fine but as I've added Yoyo to each system it seems to slow down and eventually crashes.

Also it seems to be draining my Ram so every couple of hours I have to free up Ram.

I may suspend MJ12 while helping out on Yoyo and start running it again when I'm back to full time crunching.

Gary.
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

You may well be right about the yoyo connection, that's when I started having problems (at the start of the unofficial yoyo minicrunch!)

I'll keep an eye on Maj 12 and see if I get any more crashes or restarts.

I've already asked (Maj 12 forum) about its compatibility with BOINC and have received nothing but positive replies. Most of the Maj 12 crunchers are BOINC crunchers as well! :D
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

melter65 wrote:You may well be right about the yoyo connection, that's when I started having problems (at the start of the unofficial yoyo minicrunch!)

I'll keep an eye on Maj 12 and see if I get any more crashes or restarts.

I've already asked (Maj 12 forum) about its compatibility with BOINC and have received nothing but positive replies. Most of the Maj 12 crunchers are BOINC crunchers as well! :D
I'd say it is just a conflict between MJ12 and Yoyo as I've never had a problem with any other project.

It's no biggie, when I'm not running Yoyo on all my systems I'll just start MJ12 again.

Gary.
Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Post by Sir Cracked of the Mind »

And the answer is Yes, But.
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

Sir Cracked of the Mind wrote:And the answer is Yes, But.
:?: Huh, the computer says no :?

Gary.
Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Post by Sir Cracked of the Mind »

And, you trust a computer?