folding@home

Various OTHER distributed computing projects, such as Folding@home, Dimes, Majestic-12, etc
kevan-in-devon

folding@home

Post by kevan-in-devon »

does anyone know if UBT has a team number on folding@home as i have been running it to take advantage of the spare GPU time on my radeon graphics card
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

No we don't have a UBT over there, theres not many who run it at all from this team as we mainly do BOINC stuff
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: folding@home

Post by UBT - Timbo »

kevan-in-devon wrote:does anyone know if UBT has a team number on folding@home as i have been running it to take advantage of the spare GPU time on my radeon graphics card
Sorry to correct David, but UBT DOES have a Folding team !!

It's Team number 45392.

It has been "dormant" for a long time, as our main focus has been on BOINC projects (and to be honest, there was talk that Folding@home would make a BOINC client available). But the team is there and available for member to join up to.....

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main ... mnum=45392

I doubt we'd get as high up on the leaderboards as we are on BOINC, but hey ho...!

regards

Tim

Edit: Added Folding@home Team URL
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I've just joined the UBT team for F@H and am nearing the end of my first WU :D

In the faq section there is the question of 'will F@H run alongside other distributed computing projects on a single core computer?' The answer to which is 'yes, if you run F@H as a low priority application it won't interfere with other projects.' This is somewhat misleading, as I found out, because it depends which projects you're crunching. Einstein, sudoku, gerasim and yoyo all run at slightly slower than normal speed, whereas proteins almosts stops!
So if I manage which of my projects are to run at the same time as F@H I can happily run both together.

F@H will only ever be a 'part-time' project for me (same as MJ12) and my commitment to BOINC and UBT remains as strong as ever, but it just makes a change to look at a different set of stats once in a while! :wink:
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

I was running F@H for a while , but the beta client I used was updated and I couldnt get it to register / run, and as it was the only client they have  that allowed use of both of my cores.... I gave up, and returned to boincing :)

If they have a boinc project, I will no doubt add it :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

I have joined this project now with the new(ish) SMP client which i spent 20 mins trying to figure out how to get it to work on Vista.

If you join do these before anything else..
1) Install to C:\ main root somewhere (e.g. C:\FAH)
2) Switch off UAC after it has installed, restart, and then run the install.bat file.
3) Run the fah.exe file, and when it asks you the questions make sure you configure the advanced options as well.  :shock:  Mine started using 100% CPU over all 4 cores and it got a little bit hot, so i would recommend 50%.

Also, a friend of mine has now also joined this project with his PS3 and by the looks of things he has more credit then then entire 5 members put together so far lol. So i'm having a bit of a friendly competition between him and me, so this should start kicking off our score a bit more! Hurrah
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Ben wrote:Also, a friend of mine has now also joined this project with his PS3 and by the looks of things he has more credit then then entire 5 members put together so far lol.
Get him to join UK BOINC team  :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

Way ahead of ya  :wink: He is crunching for us now  :D

P.S - If you run the SMP client i would also recommend to keep your PC on 24/7. Why? Because to get to 1% took me 42mins on a slightly over clocked 2.52Ghz quad-core  :shock:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Just thought i would give 2 of our members a mention for kick starting the team back into the rankings on folding@home. Although it is totally separate from BOINC, i think it is worth mentioning.

Pos    Name          Score     WU's
1       Bruto246      3670      26
2       myddrak      2563      19

These two in particular are standing out, and starting to get the team credits rolling in again. In first position is a college friend of mine who runs it on his PS3, and the user in second place seems to be active as well.

As it stands at the moment the UK BOINC Team are currently 21466 of 112880 which has shot up enormously since the recent activity.

The Stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... mnum=45392

:wav:
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Nice bit of cheerleading there, Ben! I hope to do a few more F@H when I've got rid of these last few AI WU's, unfortunately the AI's won't run alongside F@H :scratch:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks melter :)

I may do a few work units on this also. Just to get an idea of what a few WU's can do, yesterday i said the ranking was at 21466 and today we are on 21379!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Another update for our team on folding at home.. We have now passed the 100 WU marker! We have now completed 103 work units to date. Nice one team! :D

Man of the team is currently mr Bruto246, which currently holds almost half the teams score now at 42 WU's, but all the same well done to all our other active members which include:

myddrak with 26 WU's
Cheule with 6 WU's (new within the last week or so)

Congratulations team, keep it up.
matthewh4271

Post by matthewh4271 »

Joined the folding at home team by entering 45392 on the configure page.

Using F@H on my GPU as I couldnt get PS3GRID working on my GPU's.  Can't get F@H to work on both GPU's.  :evil:

Any ideas on how to get PS3GRID working or both GPU's on F@H.

I'm using vista 64 bit tried boinc 6.3.8 86x64 but wouldnt work.

My GPU's are only 8500GT's but might as well use them.  Hardley uses any CPU as I have a Q6600 so can still use it for Superlink and BCL when it comes online.

Might join the Boinc team next.
Ben

Post by Ben »

matthewh4271 wrote:Joined the folding at home team by entering 45392 on the configure page.

Using F@H on my GPU as I couldnt get PS3GRID working on my GPU's.  Can't get F@H to work on both GPU's.  :evil:

Any ideas on how to get PS3GRID working or both GPU's on F@H.

I'm using vista 64 bit tried boinc 6.3.8 86x64 but wouldnt work.

My GPU's are only 8500GT's but might as well use them.  Hardley uses any CPU as I have a Q6600 so can still use it for Superlink and BCL when it comes online.

Might join the Boinc team next.
Hi Matthew,

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but i also run Vista x64 and it doesn't seem to like the latest Boinc Manager (6.3.8) which allows you to use graphics cards on projects.

As for F@H that should work as i ran it on my Nvidia card and it had no problems, although it did take a while to complete! I'll trying taking a look about for some answers.

***EDIT***
Have a read of this post. http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p ... stcount=36
From what i understand you have to have 2 projects running separate instances, as you can't have one application using both GPU's.
matthewh4271

Post by matthewh4271 »

I copied that procedure in that forum post apart from the first part copying f@H in documents and settings / user.  As I couldnt find the documents and settings in vista.

So I just copied the program files and changed the target paths ect.  And when I try to open the copied program it says f@h does not support your graffix card or you don't have cuda driver instailed.  Only one shortcut will work and that is the first one

Any ideas still can only get 1 f@h gpu to work.
matthewh4271

Post by matthewh4271 »

There is a new guide for multi gpu

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... uide#ntoc4

I follwed it and still get the same problem.  Your card is not supported or your driver is not supported.  On the secound card.  SLI works so both cards work.
matthewh4271

Post by matthewh4271 »

matthewh4271 wrote:There is a new guide for multi gpu

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... uide#ntoc4

I follwed it and still get the same problem.  Your card is not supported or your driver is not supported.  On the secound card.  SLI works so both cards work.
found out the problem.  You need to use two monitors with vista
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Me 2

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

Just joined, lets see if I can get some work out of my GPU
Ben

Re: Me 2

Post by Ben »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Just joined, lets see if I can get some work out of my GPU
Nice one  :)

BOINC projects that also support GPU's are:
- GPUGrid
- Seti Beta

And soon to be Einstein

:D
Temujin

Re: Me 2

Post by Temujin »

UBT - PiezPiedPy wrote:Just joined, lets see if I can get some work out of my GPU
Hey PiezPiedPy, nice to see you back around the old place :wave:
These GPUs don't half rattle out the credits mate :thumbup:
UBT - PiezPiedPy

Post by UBT - PiezPiedPy »

I av a nose every now and then :wink:

Be good to see Einstein using the GPU's, some peeps have got 4 Gfx cards in one PC  :shock: