Bitcoin

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as CAS@home, Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as GoofyxGrid, WUProp, which can both be run in the background.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Bitcoin

Post by UBT - Mikee » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi

If you have an older miner (say 1 year!) it's virtually worthless now as the dificulty is so high now. There's plenty of videos about showing how to mine and what the running costs are. LinusTechTips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f_WLjCcPTk has bought some new miners to show how things have changed in just a couple of years.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Bitcoin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:56 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:42 pm
Hi

If you have an older miner (say 1 year!) it's virtually worthless now as the difficulty is so high now.
Hi Mike

I would disagree slightly....the interest in Bitcoin has driven up a keen interest in ASIC's on fleabay.

I've even seen Antminer 333 MHash USB sticks going for GBP50-80 each....and the 1.6GHash USB sticks at about the same price.

As such, I jumped in and sold 1x Butterfly Labs Jalapeno (5 GHash), a BFL Single (30 GH) and 3x Rockminer R32's (30+ GH) and my return was quite significant. 5 items and total sales value was nearly 600 GBP ;-)

I *know* I have 2 more Jalapeno's and a number of other BFL's stored somewhere (in a large box I can't find, packed somewhere in my garage)...so I'll hopefully get these out and put online and before the "interest" wanes too much.

And the fact is that some people are just jumping on the bandwagon and thinking they can buy a miner and get instant Bitcoin profits, without doing their homework. Well, more fool them I'm afraid.

regards
Tim