Yafu

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as WUProp, which can be run in the background.
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Yafu

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

T'other day I installed Yafu on my lappie but every workunit failed with a 'computation error' after just 3-5 seconds. This is obviously better that after 3-5 hours so I can't complain too loudly. Has anyone else had a problem with Yafu or is it just me?

Chris.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: Yafu

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

I've had one fail after 8 hours not sure why. Otherwise I haven't had any probs.

Just had a look at your 2 fails they both failed with '195 (0x000000C3) EXIT_CHILD_FAILED' and they're both subproject YAFU v134.05 (mt)
windows_intelx86. Not sure which subprojects you've selected but it may be that you've got 16 or 8 core versions selected? If so try just selecting the top version and see how it goes (Just YAFU with nothing after it.)

I see you've got 4 tasks there so maybe 1 is running after all?

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Other than the long running times AFTER it's got to 100%, I've not had any problems with Yafu since joining it.

Most of my tasks are the Yafu v134.05 (mt) ones as well.

I don't think the 8 and 16 core WUs will get downloaded if you don't have that many cores present (and both your failed ones are 2 cores anyway) so I don't think that's the issue.

I had a similar problem on Collatz, all WUs failing after a few seconds with exit code 195, turned out I didn't have the Windows Visual studio C++ runtime installed. After installing that, everything was fine.

Mark
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick »

Well I've reset the project, removed it and re-installed it but it is still the same. Every work unit terminates with an 'Unknown Error (195)' which is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. I've searched the Yafu message boards and there is no help there either. I think I shall just have to give this project a wide berth.

Thanks for the input, chaps.

Chris.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:Well I've reset the project, removed it and re-installed it but it is still the same. Every work unit terminates with an 'Unknown Error (195)' which is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. I've searched the Yafu message boards and there is no help there either. I think I shall just have to give this project a wide berth.

Thanks for the input, chaps.

Chris.
Hi Chris

I haven't run YAFU for a while, but when I did, I had this in the BOINC/projects/yafu.myfirewall.org_yafu directory:

So, close down Boinc Manager (when convenient) and then "paste" the code below into Notepad and save in the above directory as "app_config.xml"

Code: Select all

<app_config>
<app_version>
<app_name>yafu</app_name>
<plan_class>mt</plan_class>
<rem  Following is the number of threads you want to run>
<avg_ncpus>2</avg_ncpus>
<cmdline>--nthreads 2</cmdline>
</app_version>
</app_config>
This worked fine for me on a Win XP Pro PC with a quad core CPU. It might also be an idea to look at "My account" on YAFU and adjust the project preferences, to limit the type of tasks you are sent. (eg: Don't accept the mt16 tasks, unless you have a 16 core CPU !!)

regards
Tim