Getting work for Goofyxgrid

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as CAS@home, Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as GoofyxGrid, WUProp, which can both be run in the background.
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Getting work for Goofyxgrid

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick » Tue May 10, 2016 1:15 pm

Hi All,

I not sure if I have a problem with Goofyxgrid. I started running it last week and it doesn't seem to behave like other projects. It might be normal for Goofy or I might have a slight problem.

I run it on two machines, a quad and a dual processor but I only get two copies running on each. Is this right?

Also, it never downloads extra work. It only downloads two work units and runs them both. Very often when I come back to my PC I find that one work unit is completed and waiting to report but because it hasn't downloaded any extra work it is sitting partly idle. I have my cache set to 1 day of work. The consequence of this is that I'm running at about 600/day instead of 950 which I should be capable of getting. Is this normal?

I realise that increasing my output by 50% is hardly going to boost the team score into low Earth orbit but as Tesco say, "Every Little Helps."

Chris.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Getting work for Goofyxgrid

Post by UBT - Timbo » Tue May 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi Chris

Goofy does indeed only run at most 2 instances (at present) on any one PC (no matter how many CPU cores you have !!). One is Monkeys v1 and the other is Monkeys v2.

If you want to run more, then if you have enough memory, you can run a Virtual Machine and install another instance of BOINC Manager within the VM and then run 2 more copies of Goofy.

Likewise, it only downloads one instance at a time...and once that is completed, it asks for another one. Each WU runs for approx 1 hour each.

Hope this helps
regards
Tim

UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick » Tue May 10, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks for that, Tim. If that's the expected behaviour then fine. It's a pity that it doesn't upload and report immediately but if that's the way it is the so be it.

All the best,

Chris.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Wed May 11, 2016 1:04 am

UBT - Chris Suddick wrote:Thanks for that, Tim. If that's the expected behaviour then fine. It's a pity that it doesn't upload and report immediately but if that's the way it is the so be it.

All the best,

Chris.
Hi Chris

I think the upload issue is simply down to how it is hosted - this is very much an "amateur" type project and hence access to the upload server is dependant on the local bandwidth, which isn't that great I seem to recall.

The server was only recently upgraded too...but this project doesn't have the resources of many of the "big guns" and hence these limitations need to be taken into account:

http://goofyxgridathome.net/forum_threa ... postid=756

regards
Tim

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Goofyxgrid is currently on hiatus while server maintainance is going on - so no WUs for a while. Admin says it'll be back .
Message 825 - Posted: 10 Jun 2016, 6:19:14 UTC

Tonight after every unsent WU will be sent I am planing to have maintance break on server.
Don't worry <- I will back :)
Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

wkdwill
UBT Contributor

Post by wkdwill » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:03 am