Goofyxgrid

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as CAS@home, Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as GoofyxGrid, WUProp, which can both be run in the background.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Goofyxgrid

Post by UBT - Mikee » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:36 pm

This seems to be a non cpu intensive project. Only just found it and am just trying it out.

http://goofyxgridathome.net is the project joining URL

Mike
Last edited by UBT - Mikee on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

Woodles
Active UBT Contributor 20+ yrs

Re: Goofyxgrid

Post by Woodles » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Good find Mikee, let us know how you get on :)

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:19 pm

Hi

Seems OK. Takes 60 mins per WU and you get 10 credits.

My dual core PC is now doing 9 simultaneous tasks - 4 ASIC Bitcoins, 1 GPU bitcoin, 2 goofys, 1 Numberfield and a WUProp!

Mike.

Image Image

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:28 pm

Now that's what I call multitasking!

Kieron J. Barr
UBT Contributor

Post by Kieron J. Barr » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:10 pm

I joined yesterday....runs two WU's at the same time as all the rest I was already working on.

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Well done Kieron, I joined today and it seems to be playing nicely with everything else here as well.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:18 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:This seems to be a non cpu intensive project. Only just found it and am just trying it out.

http://goofyxgridathome.net is the project joining URL

Mike
Hi MIkee,

Nice find - thanks for the heads-up.

(And in case you were wondering: I signed up a while ago as a "BOINC-wide" team - so in theory, every new BOINC project should automatically have a UBT team set-up, without me having to lift a finger 8-) . Of course, it then relies on the intra-webby or the projects marketing team to let people know it exists - otherwise, we'd all be in the dark !! )

I've joined in too...will be interesting to see how it copes on an 8-core, with CPU & GPU tasks - sorry to say that my ASIC tasks are at a stand-still at the moment, due to some power and some location issues...

regards
Tim

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:30 pm

Hmm

Seems I can run another WU at the same time - now up to 10 on my dual core! (4 ASICS, 2 Goofys, 2 numberfields, a Primegrid (GPU) and a WUProp. )

Reckon 10 is the limit though!

Mike

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:43 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:Hmm

Seems I can run another WU at the same time - now up to 10 on my dual core! (4 ASICS, 2 Goofys, 2 numberfields, a Primegrid (GPU) and a WUProp. )

Mike
Hi Mike,

That looks like good going - though I'm a bit surprised as the CPU has to "manage" the GPU and ASIC tasks...so, "in theory" the ASIC's take up 0.1 of a CPU, same with the GPU...the NCI tasks will add another bit of a CPU, so clearly the NumberFields WU's aren't "pushing" the CPU too much, so that's how the other WU's can run :whistle:

regards
Tim

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:15 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:Hmm

Mike
Hi Miles,

Well done ... although I reckon you could get a couple more ASICs going at the same time :D

Mark

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:21 pm

This is a neat project :D what exactly is it's aim? I can't make out much on the site...

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:37 pm

If you had an infinite numbers of monkeys and they all had typewriters, in theory, it's possible that one would write the entire works of Shakespeare just by randomly bashing the keys.

I think this project is just seeing how random words would appear and if they make any sense at all.

See... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

http://goofyxgridathome.net/forum_thread.php?id=4#4

Mike

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi all,

I like this quote from the wiki:
However, for physically meaningful numbers of monkeys typing for physically meaningful lengths of time the results are reversed. If there were as many monkeys as there are atoms in the observable universe typing extremely fast for trillions of times the life of the universe, the probability of the monkeys replicating even a single page of Shakespeare is unfathomably minute.
And if you extrapolate this to the National Lottery, then the chances of me winning any significant amount is just as unfathomably minute... ;)

Or: if you are a football fan, then you can extrapolate the chances of Arsenal winning the Champions League ;)
Or England winning the 6 Nations?
Or David Cameron telling the truth ;)

regards
Tim

PS: Have edited subjects on this thread due to a typo !!

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:36 pm

That makes a lot more sense now :D

Thanks, guys :D

Chris

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:10 am

And it's a great project for leveling the playing field, my brand new, 900 MHz quad core machine (alright, it's a Raspberry PI :P) gets the same credit as my 4.4GHz eight core i7 :D

I may get a few more as a cheap and low powered way of bumping up my WUProp and Goofyxgrid credits :)

Mark

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:02 pm

That's an excellent idea! They're cheap and useful, and as you say an excellent way at levelling the playing field (they also don't use too much power either :D ) Might look into that myself ;)

Chris

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi Chris,

I actually ordered another three today, delivered on Monday so I'll have them online Monday night :D

Quite compact and convenient, I've cut a 99p micro USB cable in half, hooked it up to a 5 volt power supply, plugged the Pi into a spare port on the router and accessed it remotely by Boinc. Straightforward and easy to do. Plenty of spare capacity and router ports for the others when they come.

Mark

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:28 am

Hi Mark,

That's great! Let's see those credits rolling in on Goofyxgrid and WUProp :D I guess you're planning on running a CPU program on them too?

Chris
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Chris,

I was amazed at the Post Offices efficiency, ordered at 2PM on Friday, just delivered now! :)

Formatting SD cards and adding wires to 5 volt power supplies at the moment, should all be up and running in an hour or so.

At the moment, the original one is running 1 * WUProp, 2* Goofy and 4 * Enigma :D as that was the first project I found that supported them.

I'll look into other CPU projects later (I doubt the onboard GPU is particularly powerful or even supported) unless you have any suggestions? (You have/had a Pi didn't you?)

Mark

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:23 am

Hi Mark,

That's great! They seem to be getting better - whether it's because they'e finally cracked it, or they need to work faster to compete with couriers, I don't know...

That's a lovely amount of tasks for such a small device :D How many credits should each one rake in per day?

I did have a Pi, yes - the only projects I found that worked on it were WUProp and Enigma, so that's what I stuck with on mine :)