Bitcoin Utopia

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as CAS@home, Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as GoofyxGrid, WUProp, which can both be run in the background.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:32 pm

UBT - Chris wrote:Tim, is your Home farm fixable??
Hi Chris,

Yup - Home farm is now back up and running but only at 2/3rds of normal speed - as the original PSU got hot and bothered running 3x R-Boxes, even though it was well within it's capacity....AND had been running fine for about 2 weeks+.

Had to substitute a lower powered PSU and now just running 2 R-Boxes. :(

So, I'll have to have sort out another PSU...these ASIC thingys are real power hungry devices !!

regards
Tim

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:51 am

Ahhh, right Tim - I hope you can get it running back to normal soon
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D

Woodles
Active UBT Contributor 20+ yrs

Post by Woodles » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:21 pm

UBT - Timbo wrote:So, I'll have to have sort out another PSU...these ASIC thingys are real power hungry devices !!
Tell me about it!  :shock:  :D

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi all,

It looks to me like TSBT are putting on a bit of a spurt on BU - they have generated about 2 billion credits more than UBT over the last week or so...and as we are only about 7 billion ahead (on BU project), then they could very well overtake us soon... :(

We're about 13 billion ahead on "Combined Totals", so we won't lose the UK #1 spot for a while...

Just thought I'd mention it ;)

regards
Tim

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:50 pm

I'll work on my credits, but I haven't got a single WU from BU since the weekend :/
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:50 pm

And that's not from lack of trying!

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:01 pm

UBT - Chris wrote:And that's not from lack of trying!
Hi Chris,

I just checked your status:

http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinuto ... serid=4085

and you've got NO tasks in progress....which means you don't have any work to crunch.

You've got none pending either....so, it looks like something isn't right with your BOINC Manager - do you have any tasks showing in BM ? When did you last check your logs (go to BM > Advanced > Event Logs) and check if there are issues there.

regards
Tim

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Hi, Tim - just checked my event log, and it said: No Tasks are available for... and then every single 333mh/s and 1.6gh/s, but checking BU's website, there are tasks available for every single on of them... Might be a problem on my end...

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Fixed it now :D the problem was that SRBase and CSG had crammed my device full of tasks, leaving no room left for BU tasks, and now they have downloaded, because I temperarily removed CSG from the laptop :)

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:47 pm

UBT - Chris wrote:Fixed it now :D the problem was that SRBase and CSG had crammed my device full of tasks, leaving no room left for BU tasks, and now they have downloaded, because I temperarily removed CSG from the laptop :)
Hi Chris,

OK - well done for tracking it down. :)

It might be an idea if you set the following to a low-ish number:

Tools > Computing preferences > network usage > minimum work buffer

Try maybe 0.75 or 1.00 - this will limit the number of WU's you download, BUT seeing as you are not crunching 24/7, so it'll keep the laptop from going into "high priority" mode, if it thinks that certain WU's need to be prioritised as their deadlines are fast approaching.

Also set the max additional work buffer to (say) 0.5 or 0.75.

The BU WU's don't need much CPU power, but as you have a 4-core CPU with 8Gb of RAM, it should be more than man enough to run 2x BU WU's and at least 3-4 CPU tasks all at the same time.

regards
Tim

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:46 pm

thanks, Tim - im off to do that now :D

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Seems we could do with a bit of help over here - so a warm welcome to UBT - Eric! Every little helps!

Come say 'hello'! We don't usually bite!

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Eric
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Eric » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:02 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:Seems we could do with a bit of help over here - so a warm welcome to UBT - Eric! Every little helps!

Come say 'hello'! We don't usually bite!

Mike
Hi Mikee

Thanks for the welcome  :salute:

I'm just getting back into BOINC and this whole Bitcoin thing has really got my attention.

I'm only running an R-Box at the moment...and the credits are fabulous...it took me ages to get a few thousand on SETI, SHA-1 and TSP (going back a few years now) and within a day, I've got a few million on Bitcoin Utopia. I wish all the other BOINC projects gave the same reward :)

Hopefully I can add a few credits to the team effort - it's certainly gone places since I was last BOINCing....

6 years ago, I think it had got to be number 1 UK team, but it wasn't doing so well in the country stats....

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:35 pm

Ah - that Eric!

I wondered what happened to you - nice to have you back!

Mike

Image Image

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:51 am

UBT - Eric wrote:Hi Mikee

Thanks for the welcome  :salute:

I'm just getting back into BOINC and this whole Bitcoin thing has really got my attention.
Hi Eric,

Welcome back (though I don't know if I was here when you were originally?)
UBT - Eric wrote:I'm only running an R-Box at the moment...and the credits are fabulous...it took me ages to get a few thousand on SETI, SHA-1 and TSP (going back a few years now) and within a day, I've got a few million on Bitcoin Utopia. I wish all the other BOINC projects gave the same reward :)
Same here, took years to get to a few million credits then a couple of weeks later I'd doubled my total!

I started with a single R-Box as well, got a little carried away though  :oops: :D
UBT - Eric wrote:Hopefully I can add a few credits to the team effort - it's certainly gone places since I was last BOINCing....

6 years ago, I think it had got to be number 1 UK team, but it wasn't doing so well in the country stats....
We'd got to UK number one again and to world number six before our northern friends went and ruined it all :)

Time will tell though :twisted:

Mark

UBT - Eric
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Eric » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Woodles wrote:Welcome back (though I don't know if I was here when you were originally?)

Same here, took years to get to a few million credits then a couple of weeks later I'd doubled my total!

I started with a single R-Box as well, got a little carried away though  :oops: :D

We'd got to UK number one again and to world number six before our northern friends went and ruined it all :)

Time will tell though :twisted:

Mark
Hello Mark

Thanks for the welcome, too.

I'm giving this a go on an older laptop so I'll see how it works - it's been a while since I was running BOINC, but it's nice to see I can earn lots of credits in a short time.

Now I've seen that it's been running OK, I'm now running the 20GHz files - I was running the 1.6GHz files before and they were completing very quickly so I thought I'd try the larger ones. They are going through nicely now.

UBT - Chris
UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Chris » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Welcome back, Eric (although I was certainly not here 6 years ago :( ), but, by the sounds of it, you have already contibuted a fair bit to our BU total :D

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat May 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi all,

At last we are catching up with TSBT....it'll take a little longer to get to the point where we have overtaken them...and I'm not around much this coming week, so my efforts will be minimal as the PC will need to be switched off.

So, keep up the effort and we'll see where we are at the end of the month.

regards
Tim

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: Bitcoin Utopia

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sat May 21, 2016 12:46 pm

Bitcoin Utopia: CPU/GPU apps EOL
We are dropping these apps with the end of a campaign. The reasons are:

- inefficient

- less support from the devs

- app issues

There is a better usage for other BOINC projects.

-Reb
No date as to when they'll be switched off but the only way you'll be able to crunch on this project will be to invest in some proper dedicated hardware.

This looks a bit of a bargain at the mo !( currently £2.20!) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Butterfly-Lab ... Swt7pXN0OD

There are a few other bits n pieces you could look at http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... n&_sacat=0

Mike

Image Image

Woodles

Re: Bitcoin Utopia

Post by Woodles » Mon May 23, 2016 8:58 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:
Bitcoin Utopia: CPU/GPU apps EOL
We are dropping these apps with the end of a campaign. The reasons are:

- inefficient

- less support from the devs

- app issues

There is a better usage for other BOINC projects.

-Reb
No date as to when they'll be switched off but the only way you'll be able to crunch on this project will be to invest in some proper dedicated hardware.

This looks a bit of a bargain at the mo !( currently £2.20!) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Butterfly-Lab ... Swt7pXN0OD

There are a few other bits n pieces you could look at http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... n&_sacat=0

Mike
It did seem pretty inefficient to crunch on a top end CPU all day just to get the amount of credit the smallest ASIC could get in an hour or spend £400 on a top end GPU to be outcrunched by a £5 USB stick! The difficulty is about to double as well so that'll make things even worse.

The BFL went for £13.50 in the end, still a bargain although they're very noisy and rather inefficient. Still an easy way to make 30+ million credits a day :o

Wonder if it's worth selling off some bits and pieces that I've got laying around, I don't think I'll be using them again? :D

Mark