Bitcoin Utopia

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as CAS@home, Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as GoofyxGrid, WUProp, which can both be run in the background.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Bitcoin Utopia

Post by UBT - Mikee » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:44 pm

Just realised that we don't have Bitcoin listed here!

So...

Post any of your comments here - I'm sure there might be a bit to say - especially about the huge amount of credits given for this project.

Even a lowly GPU can have a great effect on anyone's credits! For a small(ish) outlay you can boost your credits substantially.

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Bitcoin Utopia

Post by UBT - Timbo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:39 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:Just realised that we don't have Bitcoin listed here!

So...

Post any of your comments here - I'm sure there might be a bit to say - especially about the huge amount of credits given for this project.

Even a lowly GPU can have a great effect on anyone's credits! For a small(ish) outlay you can boost your credits substantially.

Mike
Hi Mike

...just a follow up:

As of just after 11pm tonight, Mr Jerry "myshortpencil" has now appeared on Temujin's stats website, crunching for UBT :D :D

Fortuitously, TSBT didn't quite overtake us before Jerry switched :)

As at 11pm TSBT had a total of 18,720,063,858 whereas the UBT total was 19,092,020,667 - a difference of:

Without MSP's contribution, we're crunching at about 7.5 million credits per hour, while TSBT are at about 20 million per hour.

That's a difference of (say) 13 million per hour, so TSBT *could* overtake us in about 28 hours....

So, I am sure that MSP's contribution will help keep them at bay for a little while, which gives us a chance to get some more members involved....so, pretty please, can some more members start crunching on BitcoinUtopia project ?? - even if it is just using your CPU or GPU !!

regards
Tim :D  :D

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:23 pm

Looks like there are errors for the peeps using ASICs (like me) all are currently failing to validate. Had a look at a couple of other teams output and they're getting the same error.

Just posted on the Bitcoin site and I will have to abort everything until it's resolved.

Image Image

Joshrandom
UBT Contributor

Post by Joshrandom » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:07 am

UBT - Mikee wrote:Looks like there are errors for the peeps using ASICs (like me) all are currently failing to validate. Had a look at a couple of other teams output and they're getting the same error.

Just posted on the Bitcoin site and I will have to abort everything until it's resolved.
I see that your ASICs are crunching again Mikee, so I take it that you got to the bottom of the problem.

My R-Box has been running smoothly for the last 24hrs or so on the 20+gh/s tasks, so I guess the problem (whatever it was) must have been limited to the 1.6+gh/s tasks.

Hmm, that leads to my newbie question of the day, if there are errors with one or other of these sets of tasks can we easily swap over to the other? or are we better off just waiting for BU to sort things out at their end?

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:47 am

Joshrandom wrote:Hmm, that leads to my newbie question of the day, if there are errors with one or other of these sets of tasks can we easily swap over to the other? or are we better off just waiting for BU to sort things out at their end?
Hi James

You can "switch" WU's but it depends on your ASIC "farm".....so, if you have an R-Box with 30+GH capability, then it wlll crunch any ASIC-type WU (1.6+GH or 20+ GH). An R-Box crunching 1.6+GH's goes pretty fast....and the credits given are the same (256 shares = 15,000, 20480 shares = 1.2million) so, there's no big difference, although you lose a few seconds switching from one WU to the next.

Likewise, if you have enough Antminer U1's/U2's (at least 13) running at 1.6+GH, or say 3 of the latest 8GH BFL Jalapeno's, then you can run the 20+GH tasks.

Hope that helps

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:53 am

UBT - Mikee wrote:Looks like there are errors for the peeps using ASICs (like me) all are currently failing to validate. Had a look at a couple of other teams output and they're getting the same error.

Hi Mike

What problem are you getting - I've put 4 U2's on my laptop and it's going pretty well.......200 validated tasks and only a few others with errors.

Are you getting Windows errors saying that cgminer has crashed ?
If so, there is a fix for that:

http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinuto ... ostid=3292

I've done this and it works :)

regards
Tim

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:14 pm

I checked other users who were doing ASIC at the same time and they were all erroring out as well. Must have got resolved this morning.
Is the 'failed to resolve URL the problem?

Mike

Yes, that's the problem. The problem is most likely in the pool server.

Henri.
Mike

Image Image

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Pool server down again for at least the second time today!

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:02 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:Pool server down again for at least the second time today!
Hi Mike

I got around 10 1.6+GH WU's that errored around 5pm UTC, but all working fine now.

regards
Tim

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Seems some versions are now working ok but cgminer (Campaign #3) (for 1.6+GH/s ASICs) v0.03 (asic) is still erroring out - checked a couple of other teams and they're also having the same error.

Image Image

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:10 am

For those wanting to do Bitcoin mining but don't want the expense - they seem to have upped the credits from 120/WU to 3480/WU for AMD GPU users. I assume it's the same for Nvidia - time per WU seems to be the same though I did have one that got stuck and ran for over 2 hours before I realised.

Just select 'use GPU' in the Bitcoin preferences and select

sgminer (Campaign #3): yes for AMD

or

CudaMiner (Campaign #3): yes for nvidia

Mike

Image Image

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:15 am

Credit for GPU has dropped to 1800/WU but its still worth doing!

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:00 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:For those wanting to do Bitcoin mining but don't want the expense - they seem to have upped the credits from 120/WU to 3480/WU for AMD GPU users. I assume it's the same for Nvidia - time per WU seems to be the same though I did have one that got stuck and ran for over 2 hours before I realised.

Just select 'use GPU' in the Bitcoin preferences and select

sgminer (Campaign #3): yes for AMD

or

CudaMiner (Campaign #3): yes for nvidia

Mike
Hi Mike,

I'm going to run a little experiment today, as I've now got my 8-core i7 "running" the 2x R-Boxes....and I've tried running Collatz and/or MilkyWay on the GPU's and it can cause the PC to crash and it reboots itself :(

So, I'll try running CUDAMiner and the R-Boxes and see if that works.

I'll also try running CPUMiner too....so the one PC should be able to run 7 CPU WU's (leaving one for the R-Box app), 2x GPU WU's and 1 WU on the pair of R-Boxes.....

It'll either crash or it'll go crazy....;)

regards
Tim

Joshrandom
UBT Contributor

Post by Joshrandom » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:57 pm

UBT - Timbo wrote:'m going to run a little experiment today, as I've now got my 8-core i7 "running" the 2x R-Boxes....and I've tried running Collatz and/or MilkyWay on the GPU's and it can cause the PC to crash and it reboots itself :(
I see from the BU message boards that you're still having problems keeping your system stable. Now as you know I'm running my R-Boxes on a machine that I'd previously retired from crunching, so I'm not using either it's CPU or GPU for Boinc, so my experience there will be of little help. That said, in my experience one possible reason for a PC shutting down or rebooting itself is that the PSU may be struggling to power everything when it's all running at once (I've killed a couple of PSUs doing that and still haven't learnt my lesson :wink: ) . I know you're not powering your R-Boxes from the PSU, so that probably isn't what's happening in your case, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway (it can sometimes be easy to miss a hardware issue when you think that you're struggling with a software problem).

Out of interest, if you crunch only with the GPUs and R-Boxes, is the system any more stable or does it still crash?

James.

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:50 pm

TBH I wouldn't bother with CPU WUs - take far too long for little credit.

Image Image

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:20 pm

Seems to be a bug in the system as no new work for my U2s is available even though the server says 'yes'. Even tried campaign 4 just to see. Had a look in the forum and there seems to be a bit of a panic on as not even the devs can fix it at the moment. Lots of advice offered - but no actual change as yet.

I had a small cache of work which has just run out so I'm down to just doing GPU work now.

I normally switch off around this time anyway, so hopefully something may happen overnight - finger crossed.

Mike

Image Image

Joshrandom
UBT Contributor

Post by Joshrandom » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Well my R-Boxes have all stopped mining and my work units are being marked as invalid. :(

Seems to be effecting everyone at BU so it's probably a pool problem, at least I'm hoping that it's not just my system that's suddenly gone fubar. :?

James.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:48 pm

Joshrandom wrote:Well my R-Boxes have all stopped mining and my work units are being marked as invalid. :(

Seems to be effecting everyone at BU so it's probably a pool problem, at least I'm hoping that it's not just my system that's suddenly gone fubar. :?

James.
Hi James,

I've been out this morning but when I got back about 2pm, my 2 BFL's on my "home" farm were not processing any WU's.

I checked the computer "history" on the BU website and it seems that the last validated WU was returned around 12:14 UTC today....so it seems ike there was an issue after that.

Checking my "work" farm stats, they stopped uploading validated WU's at 12:11 UTC.

According to the BU forum, the "pool servers" are DOWN.

http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinuto ... ostid=5185

Work will re-commence once they are UP I presume :)

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi all,

Looks like BU still isn't fixed, so time to switch back to normal projects and let's hope TSBT don't follow suit....

regards
Tim

Woodles
Active UBT Contributor 20+ yrs

Post by Woodles » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Seems to be working now?

Mark