TSBT might overtake us soon :(

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as CAS@home, Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as GoofyxGrid, WUProp, which can both be run in the background.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

TSBT might overtake us soon :(

Post by UBT - Timbo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi all,

It seems like TSBT are going to be using the Bitcoin Utopia project to launch a campaign to take away our coveted UK #1 position.

Clearly, I don't really want this to happen....even if they are nice guys ;)

So, here's the deal:

This is a graphic from BOINCstats showing our lead over TSBT:

If, as expected the TSBT "line" draws closer to ours then we will have to react.....both Alez and scole250 from TSBT have openly stated on their forum that they are going to get R-Box's...and some other members are using U2 USB dongles already :(

So, I've ordered myself an R-Box to crunch some Bitcoin WU's, which should help to stem the flow...if anyone else is interested, you can buy an R-Box off Amazon for around £72 inc PSU and delivery.

And lets give the Scot's a bit of a fright ;)

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Woodles
Active UBT Contributor 20+ yrs

Post by Woodles » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:06 pm

And as an additional incentive, by selecting campaign three to crunch you'll also be raising money to keep the Milkyway project going.

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Woodles wrote:And as an additional incentive, by selecting campaign three to crunch you'll also be raising money to keep the Milkyway project going.

Mark
+1 for that Mark.

That's the Campaign I'm crunching for.

The shame is that #3 isn't doing too well at the moment:

OK - so the campaign hasn't been going long - only a few days - but hopefully, there'll be a lot more than the 3-odd Bitcoins shown so far....

(This is a live graphic and so might be different in 2-3 months time, when in mid-October it'll end).

I've checked the online Bitcoin valuer, and a single U2 can earn about 4c a day (at current values).....not much really, but over a few months, that could increase to, maybe $4 !!! And if a few people join the campaign, then MilkyWay will get some good income from it. Maybe other projects could learn from this....??

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Hi all,

B*gger !!

Looks like TSBT has recruited "Myshortpencil.SETI.USA" onto their BU team.

And he is currently averaging about 130 million credits per DAY :(

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/144/user ... 8/lastDays
and
http://ubtstats.co.uk/tsbt/UBT.php?cs=1 ... ct=bitcoin

So, I can't see us hanging onto our UK #1 spot for long.... :(

EDIT: I found this on the BU forum:

http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinuto ... ostid=2789

So, maybe "Myshortpencil" just fancied a bit of a change !!

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:14 am

In the interests of fairness, he's popping over here a couple of days before they overtake - phew!

http://www.dunadd.co.uk/seti/forum/view ... f=3&t=2362
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:11 pm

UBT - Mikee wrote:In the interests of fairness, he's popping over here a couple of days before they overtake - phew!

http://www.dunadd.co.uk/seti/forum/view ... f=3&t=2362
Hi Mike,

Nice find :)

Maybe for September, a few of us should join TSBT, esp. around the date of their "big vote"....and if the Scots vote for independence, we can all leave the very next day ;)

regards
Tim

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi all,

As of 12 noon today, the total combined credits (according to Temujins website) for UBT and TSBT were:

UBT: 20,346,369,971

TSBT: 20,273,698,764

That's a difference of just 72,671,207 credits.

So, with the difference in daily totals, being around 80 million in TSBT's favour, by tomorrow lunchtime we might find ourselves as UK #2 Team.

It's now a question of what we can do to fight back :)

regards
Tim

myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:47 pm

You are just 8 rockminers behind TSBT in production, excluding my itinerant contribution.  That's a mere  £650, with shipping and a power supply brick.  This just can't be happening. :shock:

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:57 pm

myshortpencil wrote:You are just 8 rockminers behind TSBT in production, excluding my itinerant contribution.  That's a mere  £650, with shipping and a power supply brick.  This just can't be happening. :shock:
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your encouragement, but the issue is that there are few R-Boxes available in UK, as some resellers are out of stock - maybe TSBT are buying them all up ??? ;)

So, other options must be looked at, and that also is dependant on availability - there was a pair of BFL 60GH's on ebay yesterday, but I missed out on them.

Some ebay sellers though are expecting huge sums for some pretty basic hardware - I've seen people asking £100 for a single Antminer U2 :(

And I'm sure UBT will "react" in due course.... ;)

regards
Tim

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:22 pm

myshortpencil wrote:You are just 8 rockminers behind TSBT in production, excluding my itinerant contribution.  That's a mere  £650, with shipping and a power supply brick.  This just can't be happening. :shock:
Someone gets paid way too much!! :shock: :D

Oh it's happening ... it MAY not remain that way for long though :twisted:

UBT - Timbo wrote:Thanks for your encouragement, but the issue is that there are few R-Boxes available in UK, as some resellers are out of stock
What he said :( And HMRC are always willing to add an extra 20% on the price of any overseas shipments.

Mark

myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Another tough nut.  Damn.  It's interesting seeing the obstacles faced by different teams, and their approaches to them.  Maybe your USA members could be encouraged to increase their BU production.

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 pm

myshortpencil wrote:Maybe your USA members could be encouraged to increase their BU production.
As an alternative, I'm quite happy to go on a UKBT sponsored holiday aboard to pick some kit up?

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:06 pm

myshortpencil wrote:Another tough nut.  Damn.  It's interesting seeing the obstacles faced by different teams, and their approaches to them.  Maybe your USA members could be encouraged to increase their BU production.
Hi Jerry,

That sounds like a great idea.

Now let me just check - ah, yes, out of 526 currently active members, we have just 3 USA member's, of which only 1 is doing BU

So, please feel free to increase your BU production accordingly - it is so nice to be able to rely on our colonial cousins for their warmth and generosity :) helping us out when we're in a tight spot ;)

If a bit of bribery is needed, I'm sure I can rustle up some English chocolate, some nice nylons, maybe some English jazz......as that sort of thing seems to work well.....or at least it used to 70 years ago !!!!!

regards
Tim

megacruncher
The Scottish BOINC Team member

Post by megacruncher » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:59 pm

24 million credits between UBT & TSBT. Better breakout those Rockminers now or prepare for impact.:D
I think we probably did buy up all the hardware in the UK. I certainly struggled to source my 3 Rockminers. Expense wise they are credits for pounds much cheaper to buy & run than any GPU so any escalation of the competition will be with them.

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:17 pm

megacruncher wrote:24 million credits between UBT & TSBT. Better breakout those Rockminers now or prepare for impact.:D
I think we probably did buy up all the hardware in the UK. I certainly struggled to source my 3 Rockminers. Expense wise they are credits for pounds much cheaper to buy & run than any GPU so any escalation of the competition will be with them.
It certainly seems like someone went on a spending spree, there's very little hardware left anywhere!

Bl**dy soon-to-be foreigners coming in here gloating! :( :( :D

myshortpencil
SETI.USA member

Post by myshortpencil » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:36 pm

UBT - Timbo wrote:So, please feel free to increase your BU production accordingly - it is so nice to be able to rely on our colonial cousins for their warmth and generosity :) helping us out when we're in a tight spot ;)
Well, I had an order for 6 bfl 60s to do 20 billion credits for me starting 3 days ago, but due to illness, a defective PSU, and other factors, my plan has been postponed--bu**ered up, if you will.  But nylons and chocolate are very tempting and Adele is swell!  

I like Woodles' idea for a UBT trip to the states. :)  If you could save $20 per device, the break even for a $1400.00 trip would be 70 devices :) So why buy local when you can spend the same amount of money and give Woodles a free trip to the states?  :)  (Sorry for contaminating the forum with dollar signs.)

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 pm

megacruncher wrote:24 million credits between UBT & TSBT. Better breakout those Rockminers now or prepare for impact.:D
Hi Willie,

Come over to gloat have ye ???

All I can say is "be afraid, be very afraid", as ye have awoken the beast !!!

Despite that, it's been a good fight, even if collectively, we are a little late to the party.....but Campaign #3 continues until mid-October, so there's plenty of time left for the battle to rage....!!

regards
Tim

megacruncher
The Scottish BOINC Team member

Post by megacruncher » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:30 pm

Woodles wrote:Bl**dy soon-to-be foreigners coming in here gloating! :( :( :D
Gloating maybe. :D
Not so sure about the soon to be foreigners bit.
No credible opinion polls in favour yet. And with Salmond's muddled currency plans,  Scotland could yet end up with the Bitcoin instead of the pound.  :shock:

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:33 pm

myshortpencil wrote:I like Woodles' idea for a UBT trip to the states. :)  If you could save $20 per device, the break even for a $1400.00 trip would be 70 devices :) So why buy local when you can spend the same amount of money and give Woodles a free trip to the states?  :)  (Sorry for contaminating the forum with dollar signs.)
I think Jerry makes some very good points :D So I'll get my passport ready then?

Mark

Woodles

Post by Woodles » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 pm

megacruncher wrote:Gloating maybe. :D
Not so sure about the soon to be foreigners bit.
No credible opinion polls in favour yet. And with Salmond's muddled currency plans,  Scotland could yet end up with the Bitcoin instead of the pound.  :shock:
As you have every right to :)

What? You mean we'll be producing money for you lot? :shock: :shock: :D