Yoyo problems

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as WUProp, which can be run in the background.
hgblade

Yoyo problems

Post by hgblade »

Is anyone other than myself and The Prof having problems with Yoyo?

I've had 2 or 3 ecm tasks abort themselves with 'computation error' after about 4 hours each, and now have 2 ecm tasks sat around 'waiting for memory'. I've posted on the yoyo forum and had a couple of suggestions, but these have come to nothing. The tasks are still sat there having used up around 12 hours of processor time - so I'm reluctant to abort them until all avenues have been explored.

I've installed the latest version of BOINC on a Vista machine with 3gb RAM (I understand ecm needs 1.8gb). Set all projects to 'no new tasks', cleared cache, rebooted - and they still sit there. :evil:

Anybody any ideas, please??? I'm going to have to kill them soon because there won't be enough time left for them to complete.
Darren

Post by Darren »

I have one of these at work.
Have you tried suspending all other tasks and only running the one task at a time?
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Got there in the end, albeit not in time to stop them running out of time before hitting their completion deadline. One of the forum admins on the yoyo website suggested it might be a good idea to set general preferences to allow 94% and 97% memory usage for in use and idle respectively - even providing a link directly to said preferences. So I followed the suggestion, and updated in Boinc - with no change. This afternoon I discovered that what I ought to have done was alter these figures in Boinc's advanced tab.

Unless I'm missing something (which is quite likely) it seems that boinc was ignoring the general preferences when updated from the project.

At least it works now - but, alas, too late to save the ecm tasks from running out of time (and losing about 12 hours of processor time). :cry:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

hgblade wrote:Got there in the end, albeit not in time to stop them running out of time before hitting their completion deadline. One of the forum admins on the yoyo website suggested it might be a good idea to set general preferences to allow 94% and 97% memory usage for in use and idle respectively - even providing a link directly to said preferences. So I followed the suggestion, and updated in Boinc - with no change. This afternoon I discovered that what I ought to have done was alter these figures in Boinc's advanced tab.

Unless I'm missing something (which is quite likely) it seems that boinc was ignoring the general preferences when updated from the project.

At least it works now - but, alas, too late to save the ecm tasks from running out of time (and losing about 12 hours of processor time). :cry:
Hmm. That's a very high memory usage. You may get problems with the PC slowing down. I've got mine set to 85%/85% (2Gig RAM) though I only do EVO WUs.

Just had a look at your results and it looks like you've been granted credits except on the ones you aborted. Had you not aborted you would still have got credit provided you returned them before they got resent AND returned.

Never mind - all okay now? Or has it scared you off!  :D
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

hgblade

Post by hgblade »

UBT - Mikee wrote:
Hmm. That's a very high memory usage. You may get problems with the PC slowing down. I've got mine set to 85%/85% (2Gig RAM) though I only do EVO WUs.

Just had a look at your results and it looks like you've been granted credits except on the ones you aborted. Had you not aborted you would still have got credit provided you returned them before they got resent AND returned.

Never mind - all okay now? Or has it scared you off!  :D
Yes, I'd agree about the memory usage - I'll lower it after another day or two - 2gb seems more appropriate, even for ecm wus.

I got burned on gpugrid last week by a wu running over - I am using an old card at the moment which works - but slowly. Because I had to switch that machine off for a while the wu overran and, after 60 hours processing, got zero credit  :(   -  hence the caution over the yoyos which each had about 20 hours still to go!

But no, I'm not scared off - got 2 systems running yoyo right now.  :)
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I've got 5 ecm wu's all 'waiting for memory' on the lappy. No other wu's running, the lappy's idle now. Any ideas? :?

Needless to say I've cancelled all ecm work in my prefs!
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

melter65 wrote:I've got 5 ecm wu's all 'waiting for memory' on the lappy. No other wu's running, the lappy's idle now. Any ideas? :?

Needless to say I've cancelled all ecm work in my prefs!
Depends if they've started or not.

If not just 'abort' them. If some have started, abort the rest - it might start the ones waiting. If they've all done a bit, abort the ones with the shortest elapsed time one by one, again they might start. If all else fails you may have to bite the bullet and abort the lot. :(
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

OK, so I've aborted 4 of them, they only had <10% CPU time. This caused the 5th wu to start working, which has >60% CPU time.