Folding@Home on PS3

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as WUProp, which can be run in the background.
UBT - Knightlight

Folding@Home on PS3

Post by UBT - Knightlight »

I've got the PS3 and have activated the Folding@Home scheme.

In the settings you can join a team, but it expects a Team Number not a Team Name. As I'm actively crunching for this team I would like my PS3 credits to go to this team but how do i do that?
Temujin

Re: Folding@Home on PS3

Post by Temujin »

Knightlight wrote:I've got the PS3 and have activated the Folding@Home scheme.

In the settings you can join a team, but it expects a Team Number not a Team Name. As I'm actively crunching for this team I would like my PS3 credits to go to this team but how do i do that?
UBT is team number 45392, see here
I can't see how you go about joining, though I'm sure it would help if I had a PS3 and an account :)
UBT - Knightlight

Thanks I'll type in the team number and see what happens. There is a Web Browser on there so I an check it links though to the team okay. It just takes a while using a joy pad instead of a keyboard. The trouble is if i key a keyboard the G/F may notice I have the PS3 hidden behind the telly along with the wireless bridge etc...  There is only so much you can hide.  :lol:

I may pop home at lunch time to see how its going.

Dan.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Looks like its time for a bigger TV mate :D

I've got a wireless keyboard on my media PC, can something like that work on a PS3?
UBT - Knightlight

lol, just got the biggest telly I could fit in the corner of the room. Think its something like a 32", looked way to big for the room at first. Made sure it was HD ready, and seing the GFX and Blue-Ray films you can really tell the different to non HD.
Anyway, back to the keyboard, I don't think a regular keyboard would work as it would be a problem to install drivers, but there are a couple of options out there.  a USB one http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/PS374tbcbb ... 3-Keyboard and Wireless one http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/PS3saskrkr ... rd-for-PS3

I may go for the wireless one as the other controllers are wireless, you just plug them into the USB port to charge them up. They seem to hold their charge for a long time, like over 24hours of playing, but then they don't have the vibration like the PS2 controllers as i guess that uses alot of power.

I'll find a place to hide the keyboard behind the telly. Looks like a keyboard would e very handy.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Seeing as you've got a PS3, have you thought about PS3Grid?
UBT has some members on PS3Grid but it looks like non have a PS3 :?
UBT - Knightlight

humm interesting, to run that you need to install Linux, which dosn't seem to bad to do, need to format the drive to partition it to create dual boot.

I may look into that one further.

Thanks.
UBT - Knightlight

I have popped home in my lunch break and put in the Team number, I don't think its done any checks but I guess I'll find out when it uploads the result at approx 15:30 today.
UBT - Knightlight

Well it worked. Uploaded a result, the trouble is with the PS3 Folding is that it doesn't do it in the back ground, so you can't search the web, or download at the same time. Its an application you have to start and end.  

Completed one result, wahoo (in homer style)
The Team Ranking is 29717 of 76180
UBT - Knightlight

How do I get my PS3 credits listed on my signature like the other results? is it possible?