Yoyo@home

The section for those minor projects that are around, such as Yafu, Yoyo@home and also including those that are "non-intensive", such as WUProp, which can be run in the background.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Ram Raider wrote:If you're running McAfee Virus Scan, beware
VirusScan Enterprise: The file C:\Program Files\BOINC\projects\yoyo8.homedns.org_88_yoyo\crunch_1.01_windows_intelx86.exe is infected with Proxy-DistNet Trojan. The file was successfully deleted.(running VirusScan Enter 8.0 OAS)
This means the download fails as the file gets deleted immediately.

Anybody else seen this problem?

I use Avast on my other PCs and that's OK.
this problem as still not been sorted :(
just tried to to get work from yoyo and the wu's jost get chucked out as 'trojan' by mcafee....
oh well lets hope they get things sorted soon....

b.
Ben

Post by Ben »

The distributed.net client and runs OGR work units. This project searches for the shortest Optimal Golumb Ruler of the length 25. Some virus scanner false detect the client as trojan (list of known false detections).
That is what is said on the YoYo@Home homepage.
Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Post by Sir Cracked of the Mind »

Well it goes like this.

"Am I willing to reduce my computer security in order to run Yoyo"

answer NO!

Their loss not mine.
Last edited by Sir Cracked of the Mind on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Sir Cracked of the Mind wrote:Well it goes like this.

"am I willing to reduce my computer security in order to run Yoyo"

answer NO!

Their loss not mine.
that was just about what i was thinking :(

yoyo makes a visit to this forum quite a few times, lets see if he has anything to say on this matter....

b. :D
yoyo
Rechenkraft team member

Post by yoyo »

Can't say anything new to this. I include the original distributed.net binary without any change. Distributed.net guys knows that some virus scanner detects there client as trojan and contacted already these companies. Some of them removed dnet from the data file, some not.
I fully respect if you do not disable your virus scanner for the boinc project and slot folder and if you will not change your scanner.
yoyo
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Thanks for answering our questions, yoyo! :(

As I don't use McAfeecrappy nonsecurity this doesn't affect me! 8)  :lol:  :lol:

So I will carry on crunching yoyo wu's without a worry!! :wink:  :D  :D

Roll on 'The OGR Challenge', I'll be running 100% yoyo on that!! :twisted:  :twisted:
Sir Cracked of the Mind
KWSN team member

Post by Sir Cracked of the Mind »

You really know how to piss people off don't you Melter65, well screw you too jerk wad!

I'm off!
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

Sir Cracked of the Mind wrote:You really know how to piss people off don't you Melter65, well screw you too jerk wad!

I'm off!
Hang on a moment, Sir Cracked!

My answer was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek, everybody (including me!) has had trouble with McAffee, Norton, Comodo and various other security suites/firewalls. I certainly wouldn't expect you to open your 'puter up to possible attack just to crunch a specific project!