Primegrid Winter Solstice Challenge

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
hgblade

Primegrid Winter Solstice Challenge

Post by hgblade »

Now we're in our new home I guess we should try and promote some activity - not least because of the efforts of Tim and Janos to get this board up and running.

So - the time is approaching for Primegrid's Winter Solstice Challenge:

The end of the year is drawing closer and this is traditionally marked with the winter solstice challenge here at PrimeGrid. As in previous years we would like to invite everyone to join us in this celebration of tidings of comfort and joy by sieving away for the Proth Prime Search. The challenge will start on Dec 19 04:48 UTC and last for 72 hours.

For more information, cheery banter and general merrymaking please join us on the discussion board .

We hope to see you there and please do spread the word :)

I'll be there - and hopefully more will join in.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: Primegrid Winter Solstice Challenge

Post by Woodles »

Sounds worthwhile and it's been a while since I did any Primegrid, count me in :)
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

All set up and ready to go. I'm not waking up at four in the morning to start crunching so I'm going to let this host just keep going and start adding when the 'old' WUs run out.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

OK - I'm in...only got 1x GTX580 available for it though, but it's something :)

edit: Now got a GTX560 Ti crunching too :)

Team stats are here:

http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/2015 ... teams.html

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:All set up and ready to go. I'm not waking up at four in the morning to start crunching so I'm going to let this host just keep going and start adding when the 'old' WUs run out.
Hi Mark,

Try putting the following in an "app_config.xml" file in your Primegrid folder:

Code: Select all

<app_config>
<app>
<name>pps_sr2sieve</name>
<max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>0.5</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>0.5</cpu_usage>
<rem you can try different cpu usage figures  - maybe 0.1 is better>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>
I'm now crunching 2x WU's concurrently on my GTX580 !! Just gotta watch the GPU temps, so I'm slightly underclocking, using MSI Afterburner - for Linux systems, look for MSI Kombuster, in the Ubuntu app store, which does the same job !!

Or try here:

http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

and click on Downloads

edit: I've started running 2x WU per GPU and so far, it looks like on my GPU, I can do 2 WU's at once, BUT the timings to complete each WU have increased - possibly by a factor of 2.... so, in my case, it might be that I don't have enough "grunt" to do 2 at once and in the same timespan as a single WU....but a better card, might be "betterer" ;)

2nd edit: I've just found a post on the PG forum which confirms what I thought - on my old card, running 2 concurrent PG WU's results in the time taken to increase by (say) twice. Of course, another "higher spec" card might be different.

http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.p ... true#90388

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

So, running 2x WU per GPU leads to run-times of approx 2000 seconds per WU, while running one, is 800 seconds per WU.

(In any 4000 second period, I can crunch 4x WU *with* the config settings or 5 WU's without).

Looks like I'll be switching off app_config.xml settings for this project !!

Going to have to wait for the cache to reduce before I can re-start with 1x WU per GPU.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Hi all,

So, running 2x WU per GPU leads to run-times of approx 2000 seconds per WU, while running one, is 800 seconds per WU.

(In any 4000 second period, I can crunch 4x WU *with* the config settings or 5 WU's without).

Looks like I'll be switching off app_config.xml settings for this project !!

Going to have to wait for the cache to reduce before I can re-start with 1x WU per GPU.

regards
Tim
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the challenge :)

I tried that and multiple WUs at a time were actually very slightly better. Two WUs took 190% of the single WU time (and four WUs took 375% of the single WU time)

Since I didn't want to finish the crunch with four WUs at 75% completion and not counting instead of three counting I've gone for just one at a time, the extra couple of percent gain didn't seem worth the hassle.

Mark
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

26th place at the moment although Nemesis Germany are close
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

:oops: Ooops - forgot to clear out my non-gpu tasks!!

On it now! :doh:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

hgblade wrote::oops: Ooops - forgot to clear out my non-gpu tasks!!

Hi Keith

Why do you need to clear out the non-GPU tasks? I thought the WInter Solstice Challenge was for GPU's only...

http://www.primegrid.com/prefs.php?subset=project

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi both,

The challenge is purely for PPS WUs, they're available for GPU or CPU crunching. Obviously GPUs are much quicker but CPUs can still contribute. Not sure why the CPU tasks need to be cleared out unless there's a limit to combined WUs you can download?

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Hi both,

The challenge is purely for PPS WUs, they're available for GPU or CPU crunching. Obviously GPUs are much quicker but CPUs can still contribute. Not sure why the CPU tasks need to be cleared out unless there's a limit to combined WUs you can download?

Mark
Hi Mark,

I thought it was only for "Proth Prime Search Sieve" (as per their website linked above).

I've just found the PG Preferences, and indeed there is a tick box for CPU work too. (I didn't see that before :( ) doh !!!

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Keith,

I let my CPU cache drop to zero overnight, but sadly I didn't get any PG CPU WU's.

Given that the Challenge will be ending soon, I'm not going to hang around and wait for PG WU's to become available, so I'm back onto Gerasim for CPU tasks.

regards
Tim
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

UBT - Timbo wrote:

Hi Keith,

I let my CPU cache drop to zero overnight, but sadly I didn't get any PG CPU WU's.

Given that the Challenge will be ending soon, I'm not going to hang around and wait for PG WU's to become available, so I'm back onto Gerasim for CPU tasks.

regards
Tim
Hi Tim

I managed to get some yesterday, but they're not going to complete before the challenge ends - still over 24 hours to run. At least my gpu tasks came through! :)

Regards

Keith
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

hgblade wrote:Hi Tim

I managed to get some yesterday, but they're not going to complete before the challenge ends - still over 24 hours to run. At least my gpu tasks came through! :)

Regards

Keith
Hi Keith

OK - that's good info...although I wasn't expecting CPU tasks to take that long, so, in a way, just as well I didn't get any downloaded.

However on 2 PC's it meant that the CPU's weren't active overnight, though it matters not, as any credits earned would have been minimal.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:26th place at the moment although Nemesis Germany are close
We're now in 25th place and in real terms our best prospect is 23rd....with BOINC.Italy and AMD Users slightly ahead of us. But there's no guarantee that'll happen.

I can live with being in the Top 25 ;)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

UBT - Timbo wrote:We're now in 25th place and in real terms our best prospect is 23rd....with BOINC.Italy and AMD Users slightly ahead of us. But there's no guarantee that'll happen.

I can live with being in the Top 25 ;)

regards
Tim
Top 25 will do me as well :-D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

So long as we beat TSBT I'm happy! :whistle:
Doesn't happen very often now. :roll:

Mike
Last edited by UBT - Mikee on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:So long as we beat TSBT I'm happy! :whistle:
Doesn't happen very often now. :roll:

Mike
Hi Mike,

I think for THIS Challenge, we've thumped 'em... :)

But they thumped us on the Formula BOINC positions for the last couple of years... :(

We'll have to see what we can do during 2016, to keep you "happy" Mike :)

regards
Tim