PG Credit Reduction during July

Good at maths? Then why not figure on helping these projects - Gerasim, GPUGrid, Moo! Wrapper, NFS, NumberFields, ODLK, PrimeGrid, Rakesearch, SRBase
Zydor

PG Credit Reduction during July

Post by Zydor »

Heads up - Credit reductions for PG PPS Sieve in progress.  Will go from current 4503 to 3607 per WU during July, gradually reducing until final level reached of 3607 on 31 July.  They could also finally go as low as 2251 .....

A post from John outlining this is at:
http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=3467#37798

If processing times do not change .....  then the party is over, and they will return to "normal" BOINC levels (define normal .... ), not the current sky high level which is out of wack for the work being done.

Suspect an almighty argument is about to explode over there ..... so gather your thoughts and what your preferred action will be, as drastic cuts in credit levels seem certain unless there is a corresponding change in processing times. , its not yet clear what the final times will be.

I suspect an equal reduction in processing time will not be the case, so I suspect the fireworks are about to fly .......  *Flak Jackets on* ...... :argue:   .....  

Regards
Zy
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Oh well nice while it lasted.

So what will be the best payer next for nvidia cards ?

Says this credit whore :oops:

b. :D
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

I'm a bit rusty on NVidia  ( I had been NVidia since they hit the Consumer Market 20 years ago, but switched to ATI/AMD for the first time just after the 5970s came out 2009), so treat my view on this with caution.

I suspect it will be GPUGRID, they have always been NVidia as they can't run their Science needs on ATI/AMD at present until the APP/AMD OpenCL implementation matures more.  It was certainly high on the Credit Cruncher list prior to PPS Sieve handing out freebies.

Cullen/Woodall Prime Search (Sieve) *might* be ok, but they were half the rate of PPS Sieve anyway, so suspect GPUGRID will beat them - probably Collatz NVidia would take them as well.  GPUGRID are slowly getting more towards higher end cards as a pre-req, would need close check on what they need right now from NVidia cards

My money would be on GPUGRID, assuming PG do not adjust the processing time (if they do this all blows over), but better to hear that (or not!) from a dedicated NVidia cruncher, as I am getting more and more out of date re NVidia in terms of their BOINC performance rates.

EDIT:  This is an outside chance .... but ..... don't write off Moo, Teemu is very good, and has released an NVidia application, as well as linux and OSX.  I have no idea what its performance level is, however, he is very very knowledgable on the BOINC Wrapper, and it would not surprise to find he has also cracked the NVidia's running the Core DNET application inside the BOINC Wrapper. Worth a try .....

Regards
Zy
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Like Zy, I used to be nvidia based but moved most machines to ATI.
When I was running nvidia, the best paying projects were Primegrid PPS (by a mile), then Collatz with GPUGrid paying least.

If I can remember correctly, primegrid paid about double collatz and collatz paid about  1/3 to 1/2 more than gpugrid.

When the dust settles, Primegrid could still be the one to go for or maybe collatz.
It's been well over 2 years since I ran gpugrid, so things could've changed there by now.
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

In pure ATI & Credit terms, for me, Moo has always been better than PG PPS Sieve, even more so now ..... :)

At Moo with 2x5970s in a box I am getting through a Moo GPU WU in 8 mins @740/300 = 6528 credits. That works out at 1.175m a day if I manage to stay at full stretch on the box (rarely happens due to work and watching movies ..... ).  I get clobbered a bit with the usual AMD long standing issue of less than good upscaling on Crossfire - so I would expect two boxes with 2x5870s in each of them to net an all up total of around 1.3 to 1.4m on mild o/c, maybe up to 1.6m+ depending on o/c.

My PG PPS Sieve on 2x5970s were netting around 900k a day @860/300, no contest, Moo pays me way better, even more so now they are reducing PG PPS Sieve by 50%, I'd be lucky to net 700k a day all up total, for both machines in 3 months time at PG.  

For ATI, its arguable Moo will pay better than PG right now, so if anyone is ATI, its worth considering shifting now to Moo from PG, as you will not loose out at all whilst you settle in at Moo, and for sure will extremely quickly build more than PG as the credits reduce in July.

Horses for courses, we all have different machines, cards, and overclock levels - but an ATI/AMD GPU move now to Moo from PG is pretty well a done deal in credit terms, each day spent at PG from now will cost substantial credits - even for AMD cards.

Regards
Zy