Asteroids@Home

Get physical with some of these projects? Asteroids, Cosmology, Einstein, LHC, MilkyWay, Test4Theory,
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Asteroids@Home

Post by UBT - Chris »

Anyone know what's going on with A@H? I can't download new WUs, and their website appears to be down... Why would this be?
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Asteroids@Home

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Chris wrote:Anyone know what's going on with A@H? I can't download new WUs, and their website appears to be down... Why would this be?
Hi Chris,

It could be any one of a whole heap of issues - server failure, software failure, overloaded servers, maintenance, DNS issues, etc etc.

In fact this is one of the reasons why BOINC came into existence....so that if ONE project has a problem, all your PC crunching ability could be switched over to a different project (rather than not being used at all).

Just be patient and I'm sure the Asteroids admins will get it sorted, if it's a problem they can deal with.

regards
Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Server is going to be moved on 17.12.2014. It will be offline since 11:00 UTC, it will be online probably the other day. Another circumstance requires server to be offline every day between 19:00 - 09:00 UTC till January. I will write another info if anything change. I also write more information at forum about it.

Radim Vančo (Kyong
no update beyond that so far
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Thanks, guys - and it isn't a problem, Tim - I just switched to another project for a bit, just wanted to know what was happening.
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Clearly they're having a number of issues. I had lots of wus waiting to upload in mid-December, then the project came back on-line, uploaded, downloaded some new wus, and then they went offline again!  :evil:
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Looks like it's back up and running. Plenty of work available and my outstanding wus have uploaded.
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

cheers, keith
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

They seem to have sorted themselves out now.

You're up to 133K on there now Chris so I'm bowing out once the running WUs are finished, it's going to take far too long to get to the next badge.

Mark
UBT - Chris

Post by UBT - Chris »

Nice :D and that's fine, Mark - thanks for the help - I'll get it running on my tab, along with WCG
Steven L.

Post by Steven L. »

Last time I ran tasks for Asteroids@Home was about three weeks ago,
It was active then, if that is what you were asking for.
Cheers.
Steven L.
A student from the UK passionate about science.
Some day I will have a nobel prize in chemistry!
I also run IGCSE World, a free science platform for students.
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by nick »

anyone having issues with back log? i have 50% of my tasks pending 92 in total non of the other ones i crunch backup this much
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

A lot of the projects just have 1 person doing a work unit then that is claimed/validated. Other projects require 2 or more people to complete - this is for error checking and making sure no one cheats! Asteroids is one of the projects that require 2 people to validate. You just have to wait for the wingman to do their copy of the WU. In other cases you are the wingman so this is why you've got credits straight away.

You'll just have to be patient - you'll get them eventually.!

mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:anyone having issues with back log? i have 50% of my tasks pending 92 in total non of the other ones i crunch backup this much
Hi Nick

As Mikee mentioned, some projects require a "quorum" of 2, 3 even 4 results to be returned before credits are issued...

For Asteroids, the quorum is 2, so, it can take a little while for credits to come through, as some people have older PC's that take longer.

Likewise, some tasks are never returned, so you have to wait a bit longer, until the task is re-issued to someone else and then they return it.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Projects are keen to reward volunteers with the right credits...and you'll get them eventually...just a question of building up a "head of steam" initially...and then you'll see more regular credits being accrued.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi All,

Just thought I'd mention that earlier today, UBT became the number one team in the UK for Asteroids :D

Regards,

Mark
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

But I thought TSBT were the #1 team?... Oh I see :-)
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Hi All,

Just thought I'd mention that earlier today, UBT became the number one team in the UK for Asteroids :D

Regards,

Mark
Hi Mark

Well spotted and thanks to kcaj for joining...I wonder if he/she will join the forum ?? They have been "invited"...!!

So, time for a little :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl: :happy-wavemulticolor: :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:

regards
Tim