Something is Stiring at Milkyway :)

Get physical with some of these projects? Asteroids, Cosmology, Einstein, LHC, MilkyWay, Test4Theory,
Zydor

Something is Stiring at Milkyway :)

Post by Zydor »

Something is bubbling away in the background at MW.  Blurf is not one for Hype, not in his make up, so his statement re Credits is all the more interesting.  I would anticipate it being of particular interest to ATI owners, although it may apply to NVidia and CPU.

Worth keeping an eye on in the next few days, may well be significant enough for a Project switch for some, if it turns out to be true.

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/for ... hp?id=2295

Regards
Zy
hgblade

Post by hgblade »

Mmmm, used to be a favourite of mine, but my ATI card doesn't do double-precision so I've not done any for a while. Been thinking of getting an upgraded card - so maybe this will swing it!  :lol:
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Well I'm intrigued..  :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

Interesting news.. Wonder what that could be?

Although i have to be honest and say it is probably larger workunits for lower credits... Cynical eh?   :roll:
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Ben wrote:Interesting news.. Wonder what that could be?

Although i have to be honest and say it is probably larger workunits for lower credits... Cynical eh?   :roll:
After that build up - if it is - poor 'ol Blurf is Toast   :lol:

Regards
Zy
Ben

Post by Ben »

True! Imagine the uproar (again) if that was announced! I'd buy some burgers for when the flames fly  :roll:

I do hope it is something good though  :D
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Now...
This thread has been hidden for administrative purposes
Things didn't go according to plan?
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Also look at the date  posted... .. . :)
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Looks like Blurf's post 4 days ago was supposed to be build up for Matt's April Fool's. Matt snagged a few with it amazingly - one of the better April Fool's Ive seen for a while  :lol:

Regards
Zy
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Checked one of my machines this morning and it has 544 milkyway WUs rather than the usual 12
:thumbup:

looks like the upgrade has killed the servers though
Zydor

Post by Zydor »

Yup - still down.  

Its looking like only a few got a mega download, everyone else still dry for the last 14 hours - he jumped on that fast when it happened middle of the night UK time, its likely a result of code corruption not cache size change, but like you "Hope Springs Eternal" !  

Its shaping up to be a big upgrade, looks like much going in we don't know about yet.  Have a look inside the task list for machine on the account pages  and the menu options :)

I suspect he has hit the pit for a while, as he was going flat out for hours up to around 4 or 5 am UK time, and nothing has shifted at all this morning.

Going to be a while yet methinks :)

Regards
Zy