Milkyway GPU

Get physical with some of these projects? Asteroids, Cosmology, Einstein, LHC, MilkyWay, Test4Theory,
UBT - Rick Horn

Milkyway GPU

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Milkyway GPU is a new project with a new URL.

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway_gpu/

No work as yet, but it shouldn`t be long.
Registration is now open.

The regular Milkyway@Home will carry on as normal.
Last edited by UBT - Rick Horn on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Rick Horn

Re: Milkyway GPU

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:
No work as yet, but it shouldn`t be long.
Hmm, looks like I was somewhat optimistic.  :(
Ben

Post by Ben »

It was a good idea at first.. But it seems the server is coping Ok so far (...touch wood!)  :lol:
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

How does this work then, I have MW wu's queued, but the gpu isn't crunching them !!

Do we need to join MW GPU project, and are the creds accredited to to the normal MW project ?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

fellie wrote:How does this work then, I have MW wu's queued, but the gpu isn't crunching them !!

Do we need to join MW GPU project, and are the creds accredited to to the normal MW project ?
Hi fellie

forget the MilkywayGPU project, it never got anywhere, there's just Milkyway these days.

what GPU do you have?
Does BoincManager detect your GPU in its startup messages?

In BoincManager, check your "Advanced/Preferences/Use GPU while computer is in use" setting, it needs to be ticked or you have to wait for the idle timeout to occur
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Nvidia 9800gtx+ John .. it's crunched a few GPUgrids with no issues.

Tried the settings, but MW doesn't seem to run on the gpu, maybe I have cpu only Wu's queued up ?
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

fellie wrote:Nvidia 9800gtx+ John .. it's crunched a few GPUgrids with no issues.
hmmn, I've only run MW on ATI cards, my collection of NV cards performed better on Collatz
Tried the settings, but MW doesn't seem to run on the gpu, maybe I have cpu only Wu's queued up ?
As far as I know there's only 1 type of WU, CPU/ATI/NV, they're all the same

Check your MilkyWay@home preferences and make sure "Use NVIDIA GPU if present" is set to yes

edit
In BoincManager/Messages what does it say when it starts the WU, it would normally tell you which app it's using
And does task manager show anything helpfull?
fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Ahh good point, but it's already set to 'yes' dammit !!

I shall try forcing it to run later, suspend all other projects and see which MW units run on what :)

I have just re-attached to mw, so maybe it needs time to settle in  :)
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

fellie wrote:Nvidia 9800gtx+ John .. it's crunched a few GPUgrids with no issues.
MilkyWay will NOT run on NVidea GPUs. Something to do with the way NVidia calculate which is not compatible with the project.

The BOINCManager should have said something along these lines. However, your system should be crunching the ones you do have as CPU WUs (I think!). I'd be very tempted to abort these as other projects pay better.

HTH

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

fellie
UBT Contributor

Post by fellie »

Ahh top info ty Mikee...

CPU does in fact run these with no issues :)