Anyone having problems with Rosetta work right now?

A range of Biological/Medical Science projects that need our help, such as: Rosetta, Ralph
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Anyone having problems with Rosetta work right now?

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

Please reply to this post if you are having problems with "Computation errors" when crunching for Rosetta.

Seems there's a bug which is preventing work being fully completed in SOME cases.

I've now had at least 7 in the last 18 WU's go bad on me - and I still have two more, one of which I aborted but is still shown and the other is now suspended as I think it too will fail and I don't want to waste any crunching power on it.

There are a number of message in the Rosetta Number Crunching forum, but here's one to look at:

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum ... php?id=894

regards,

Tim

(Poll closes in 2 days - as need to decide by this SUNDAY whether to switch projects for the 2nd Weekend Crunch)
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Well I can't vote on this one no option there for NO everything is fine :lol: :shock:
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

Every one has failed since yesterday :(
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Well I can't vote on this one no option there for NO everything is fine :lol: :shock:
I tried to put in a third option - which was NO - but the poll setttings didn't allow it.......could only put in two options - so will assume only people with problems will vote.

Over to you Darren ??

I take it that you can only vote once in a poll ?

regards,

Tim
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

You can add more than one poll I thought :?: I tried making a thread and it let me have more than two options, though I didn't submit it.
UBT - Halifax-lad

It works for me see forum suggestions
Darren

Post by Darren »

Looking at the figures.

We ave. 3,300 credit /day and in the last 24hrs we have got 4,200 credits so there can't be that much wrong. That said, I normally ave. 650 a day but only got 97 today :(

Shouldn't be able to vote more than once. Can have up to 10 choices per poll!
UBT - Halifax-lad

Rosetta staff have stated that people having problems should increase there CPU time option as this generally gets rid of any bugs, the majority of the bugs are come across on small CPU run time settings
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Rosetta staff have stated that people having problems should increase there CPU time option as this generally gets rid of any bugs, the majority of the bugs are come across on small CPU run time settings

HI David.

Mine was set at the deault of 2 hours.

Had trouble.

Changed it to 8 hours.

Still trouble,

Gave up.

Posted in Rosetta project forum - they know of a problem and are trying to fix it.

Waiting to hear more from them.

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Well I can't vote on this one no option there for NO everything is fine :lol: :shock:

Option 3 - NO - now working.

Don't know why it didn't do this before.

But OK now.

regards,

Tim
DJH@GB-Ro

Post by DJH@GB-Ro »

I set it to 4 days :lol: . But still no luck :cry:
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

Did I start this topic off??
Right - It's still not working so I've changed to these settings...

Percentage of CPU time used for graphics 30
Number of frames per second for graphics 20
Target CPU run time 8 hours

Also switched off all the other projects. If this works then I'm in - if not then it's a definate YES in the poll!
UBT - BHCJackie

Post by UBT - BHCJackie »

I've had 4 failures out of 14 completed WU's.
HTH
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

OK - That's it! No more 'til it's sorted!

Out of the last 14 sent only 2 are 'success' - 3 no replies, 9 client error. That definitely eqwals a mostly 'yes' in the poll!
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Halifax-lad

Its weird, the error own happens on a certain set of computers, so you lot with errors are the unlucky ones. My comp is one of them that always works with Rosetta
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Wierd is right.

I did a big upgrade a few weeks ago (processor, memory, motherboard, case and PSU) everything worked better and faster as ekspected. Rosetta worked as well. I have added a couple of projects since then so... Maybe if I detached from everything instead of 'no new work' and 'suspend' then uninstalled/reinstalled BOINC, reattached only to Rosetta? Nah... to much effort. :)

Image Image

UBT - BHCJackie

I wrote:I've had 4 failures out of 14 completed WU's.
I've now got 6 out of 19. I fiddled with the Target CPU run time but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I've suspended Rosetta until they have the problem fixed and will probably do Einstein at the Crunch Weekend unless I hear otherwise here.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - BHCJackie wrote:I fiddled with the Target CPU run time but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I've suspended Rosetta until they have the problem fixed and will probably do Einstein at the Crunch Weekend unless I hear otherwise here.

Hi Jackie,

Same here.....

Will review "Recommended" project for the Crunch on Tuesday as Rom Walton may have fixed the bug and they might have some "good" WU's available by the Weekend.

Even so, might still carry on crunching for Einstein... - depends!

PS Hope you're using the optimised-Einstein client !!

If not, you can get it from here: http://www.ukboincteam.org.uk/ubt-optimised.html

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Rosetta staff have stated that people having problems should increase there CPU time option as this generally gets rid of any bugs, the majority of the bugs are come across on small CPU run time settings

The new suggestion from the Rosetta admins is for members who have work unit issues/problems, is to attach to Ralph and then Rom can see what's happening when these results are returned (or at least any error messages get sent back).

regards,

Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Even so, might still carry on crunching for Einstein... - depends!

Blast - had a PC lock-up last night and lost my "client_state.xml" file (was probably being "written to" at the time and get mashed).

Anyways, that contained everything relating to BOINC Manager.....!!!

Lost WU's from Rosetta, Einstein and BBC CCE.... B*GGER !!

So, had to detach from every project and re-started for Einstein only, to make sure everything was OK for the Crunch.

Have now suspended Einstein, and am running RALPH, in order to help figure out the 1% bug.

So, will have to figure out what to do about the Weekend Crunch - it's decision time NOW.

Option 1: We carry on and hope people are going to be able to get Rosetta results returned and not have errors.

Option 2: We ask/advise those who have issues with Rosetta to switch to Einstein - those who are churning the Rosetta WU's without issue can continue. Then we have members crunching for 2 projects, which might reduce our effectiveness. (But every credit will still count anyway!).

Option 3: Everyone switches to Einstein and we get ONE BIG HIT of credits on ONE project.

Any views /opinions one way or the other?

Please reply here......!

regards,

Tim
Last edited by UBT - Timbo on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Einstein would be best no problems over there and with the optimisation we will get more done.

Get around to Rosetta one day when its all working fine
UBT - BHCJackie

UBT - Timbo wrote:PS Hope you're using the optimised-Einstein client !!
Yes thank you.
I've been following David's Optimised Einstein Client Thread and upgraded to S37a after David posted.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Downloaded the new version a couple of nights ago - got 2 WU's and they BOTH worked right through with no probs! Thought 1 had got stuck at 1.02% but it went through OK.

Rom is the new Master! :D

Image Image