GPUGrid taking the michael...

Good at maths? Then why not figure on helping these projects - Gerasim, GPUGrid, Moo! Wrapper, NFS, NumberFields, ODLK, PrimeGrid, Rakesearch, SRBase
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

GPUGrid taking the michael...

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi all,

I just got this message with BOINC Manager:

"Long runs (8-12 hours on fastest card) needs 2135.39MB more disk space. You currently have 5494.00 MB available and it needs 7629.39 MB."

Errr....I'm sorry but how come GPUGrid needs nearly 8Gb of disk space ???

regards
Tim
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Re: GPUGrid taking the michael...

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Hi

I think this was brought up long time ago so it hasn't been addressed or they can't do anything about it. Prolly needs it as temp work area. I haven't done GPUGrid for years - can you specify shorter runs in preferances?

Mike
Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Mikee wrote:Hi

I think this was brought up long time ago so it hasn't been addressed or they can't do anything about it. Prolly needs it as temp work area. I haven't done GPUGrid for years - can you specify shorter runs in preferances?

Mike
Hi Mikee,

Yup - they do also have short runs, but the issue is that you really need to be able to crunch both types, otherwise, you may end up with no work of your preferred choice, as they've run out of available work :(

So, it's better to tick all the boxes and keep yer fingers crossed !!

Of course, when they have absolutely no work at all of any type, then you need to switch to another project. At present, I usually "allow" work on both Collatz and SETI as well, but these almost always have work, so you end up not getting any GPUGrid work at all, as your cache is always full from the other two (and that's having tweaked the Preference Shares on all three projects).

regards
Tim
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Post by nick »

if you want an alt bio project POEM is a good backup to GPUGRID shorter runs 1-4 hours depending on vid card just set no cpu work the points don't make sense for cpu time,
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:if you want an alt bio project POEM is a good backup to GPUGRID shorter runs 1-4 hours depending on vid card just set no cpu work the points don't make sense for cpu time,
Hi Nick

I've had issues with POEM using my GPU's.

I posted about this on the POEM messageboards twice, and the only reply was that POEM might need OpenCL 1.2, and Fermi cards (ie GTX 5xx series) only support OpenCL 1.1.

http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/forum_thread.p ... stid=10870

Maybe someone else can throw some light on this?

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Tim,

The required disc size is set by the project developers when the WU is created, look in client_state.xml for "<rsc_disk_bound>" lines, they give the minimum required disc space for the applications in bytes. There have been instances in the past of it being set incorrectly (when I was first doing Atlas, each WU demanded 15G just for itself!) but other than getting the project admins to change it, there's no work around other than freeing up more disc space.

As far as POEM is concerned, I'm running a GTX970 on POEM which is OpenCl 1.2 capable and I've had exactly the same error but only once so far.

The card ran literally hundreds of POEM WUs before the error and again, hundreds after and they were all fine.

Regards,

Mark
nick

Post by nick »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
nick wrote:if you want an alt bio project POEM is a good backup to GPUGRID shorter runs 1-4 hours depending on vid card just set no cpu work the points don't make sense for cpu time,
Hi Nick

I've had issues with POEM using my GPU's.

I posted about this on the POEM messageboards twice, and the only reply was that POEM might need OpenCL 1.2, and Fermi cards (ie GTX 5xx series) only support OpenCL 1.1.

http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/forum_thread.p ... stid=10870

regards
Tim
if you have skype go here http://boinc.berkeley.edu/help.php and talk to one of the support people I had an issue with errors when I overclocked my gpu but that was a different project I turned overclocking off and had no problems since. probably not related to this issue but errors happen.

also not sure what os your running but a lot of the old cards in the latest Win10 drivers from NVIDIA 352.84 & 352.63 include the OpenCL 1.2 support.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:if you have skype go here http://boinc.berkeley.edu/help.php and talk to one of the support people I had an issue with errors when I overclocked my gpu but that was a different project I turned overclocking off and had no problems since. probably not related to this issue but errors happen.
Hi Nick

Thanks for the tip. However, the GPU works perfectly well on other GPU projects...and it WAS working fine on POEM...and then it stopped working and without any "notice" that they (may have) ceased supporting OpenCL 1.1 cards.
also not sure what os your running but a lot of the old cards in the latest Win10 drivers from NVIDIA 352.84 & 352.63 include the OpenCL 1.2 support.
I have a Win XP Pro with my GTX580 and Win 7 Pro with my GTX560 Ti - both setup's had an issue...and other POEM members have as well.

I can't upgrade the XP machine due to my need for specific hardware to continue working (that this PC is connected to).

I'm not so sure that just upgrading the drivers (by updating the OS) will help, if the actual hardware won't support a newer version of OpenCL.

So, if I can't crunch on POEM with this machine, it's no big deal. Just a shame that I can't increase my credit totals - mind you, I have over a million, so maybe time to stop on that one ;)

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Hi Tim,

The required disc size is set by the project developers when the WU is created, look in client_state.xml for "<rsc_disk_bound>" lines, they give the minimum required disc space for the applications in bytes. There have been instances in the past of it being set incorrectly (when I was first doing Atlas, each WU demanded 15G just for itself!) but other than getting the project admins to change it, there's no work around other than freeing up more disc space.
Hi Mark

OK - thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that when I next need to power down my PC. (As such files shouldn't be "accessed" if BOINC is running (AFAIK) :) )
As far as POEM is concerned, I'm running a GTX970 on POEM which is OpenCl 1.2 capable and I've had exactly the same error but only once so far.

The card ran literally hundreds of POEM WUs before the error and again, hundreds after and they were all fine.

Regards,

Mark
I had a whole stash of POEM tasks that errored out, on two different PC, so I don't think it's a "one off" (as sometimes happens with virtually every other project).

As mentioned, it's as though someone turned off the tap and no-one has "complained".

regards
Tim
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Not related to the GPUgrid issue (not done the project since I had\it supported my 8800GTX).

I just attached to POEM on my 3 GPUs (GTX460, GTX580 & GTX960), and all 3 of them are doing GPU based work.
All 3 systems are on Windows 10 Pro x64, and have driver version 362.00 from Nvidia website rather than using the windows installed ones (since they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard)

Granted the 1st Workunit the GTX580 got crashed after 6 minutes, but I have no idea if that was a Workunit\GPU related\Cat sneezed to hard near the pc issue.
nick

Post by nick »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
nick wrote:if you have skype go here http://boinc.berkeley.edu/help.php and talk to one of the support people I had an issue with errors when I overclocked my gpu but that was a different project I turned overclocking off and had no problems since. probably not related to this issue but errors happen.
Hi Nick

Thanks for the tip. However, the GPU works perfectly well on other GPU projects...and it WAS working fine on POEM...and then it stopped working and without any "notice" that they (may have) ceased supporting OpenCL 1.1 cards.
I have a Win XP Pro with my GTX580 and Win 7 Pro with my GTX560 Ti - both setup's had an issue...and other POEM members have as well.

I can't upgrade the XP machine due to my need for specific hardware to continue working (that this PC is connected to).

I'm not so sure that just upgrading the drivers (by updating the OS) will help, if the actual hardware won't support a newer version of OpenCL.

So, if I can't crunch on POEM with this machine, it's no big deal. Just a shame that I can't increase my credit totals - mind you, I have over a million, so maybe time to stop on that one ;)

regards
Tim
I just added poem to an office pc that has a gtx430 in it running 1.1 it will be a few days before it probably works on it but ill let you know if it fails might of just been that batch.
nick

Post by nick »

NaRyan wrote: Granted the 1st Workunit the GTX580 got crashed after 6 minutes, but I have no idea if that was a Workunit\GPU related\Cat sneezed to hard near the pc issue.
yeah cats sneezes are a pain to factor for :D
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

I guess my Cat sneezed again, as the 2nd workunit just failed on the GTX580.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

NaRyan wrote:I guess my Cat sneezed again, as the 2nd workunit just failed on the GTX580.
Hi

I think you might find that they all fail....that's been my experience anyways.

That view is backed by the fact that on the POEM website is this:

http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/gpu_list.php

there is but one listing for a GTX 560 TI and one for a GTS 460 - no 580's are mentioned or 590's for that matter.

I don't know when the list was complied or what filters were used...but it doesn't look good for Fermi type GPU's. on this project at least.

regards
Tim
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Woodles wrote:Hi Tim,

Hi Mark

OK, I found a moment when I could stop BOINC Manager and take a look at the client_state file.

I've not got any GPUGrid tasks at present, so there wasn't any info for that project.

But there were these, which I've associated with various projects:

<rsc_disk_bound>500000000.000000</rsc_disk_bound> CAS@home

<rsc_disk_bound>100000000.000000</rsc_disk_bound> Collatz GPU

<rsc_disk_bound>100000000.000000</rsc_disk_bound> Primaboinca

<rsc_disk_bound>33554432.000000</rsc_disk_bound> Seti@home GPU

<rsc_disk_bound>50000000.000000</rsc_disk_bound> WU-Prop

Will have to see if I get any GPUGrid tasks as to what it's setting is ?

I take it I cannot modify this? - it's set by the project and there's nothing I can do?

regards
Tim
nick

Post by nick »

UBT - Timbo wrote: I've had issues with POEM using my GPU's.

regards
Tim
ok its started its 14 hour run on the gtx430 on 1.1 ill update tomorrow
nick

Post by nick »

it failed and now I'm not getting any new task on my other machines
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

The workunit on my GTX460 completed fine
Took it just over 4 hours, but it did complete it ok.

Edit:
Just had a snoops at GPUGrid. Last time I done a workunit was 21st Nov 2008.
So yeah just a few years since I last done one.. *ahem*
Well did attach to project, but no work available, ah well I shall try again in 2024 :lol:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

NaRyan wrote:The workunit on my GTX460 completed fine
Took it just over 4 hours, but it did complete it ok.
Hi,

Now that's interesting as your stderr_output for this task shows this:
CL_PLATFORM_VENDOR NVIDIA Corporation
CL_PLATFORM_PROFILE FULL_PROFILE
CL_PLATFORM_VERSION OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 8.0.10
CL_PLATFORM_NAME NVIDIA CUDA

OpenCL Device Info
-------------------------------------------------
CL_DEVICE_NAME GeForce GTX 460
CL_DEVICE_VENDOR NVIDIA Corporation
CL_DEVICE_AVAILABLE 1
CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE 805306368
CL_DEVICE_LOCAL_MEM_SIZE 49152
CL_DEVICE_MAX_CONSTANT_ARGS 9
CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE 201326592
CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE 1024
CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_SIZES 1024 1024 64
CL_DRIVER_VERSION 362.00
CL_DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS 7
CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY 1350
and your PC information on the POEM website says this:
Coprocessors NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (768MB) driver: 362.00 OpenCL: 1.1
And yet according to his:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_series

The 460 is a OpenCL 1.1 device....

mmmmmmmmmmm.....what's going on one wonders? Maybe it due to Windows 10 ?? (I have a Q6600 PC running Win 7 which has a problem with POEM, so I doubt it's the CPU at fault.

regards
Tim
nick

Post by nick »

just a though have you updated manger?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:just a though have you updated manger?
HI Nick

The POEM WU that was crunched successfully (shown above) was done using BM v7.6.22.

I'm using BM v7.6.6. I'm unsure whether this is going to make a huge difference, but I could be wrong.

regards
Tim
nick

Post by nick »

never know could be a handling issue with that version maybe why its not listed in old versions
nick

Post by nick »

UBT - Timbo wrote: The POEM WU that was crunched successfully (shown above) was done using BM v7.6.22.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/3 ... -notes.pdf
that's is for your 580 the note gives your opencl 1.2 so I it converts or scales or something like than

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 9512/en-us
Driver link
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:
UBT - Timbo wrote: The POEM WU that was crunched successfully (shown above) was done using BM v7.6.22.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/3 ... -notes.pdf
that's is for your 580 the note gives your opencl 1.2 so I it converts or scales or something like than

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 9512/en-us
Driver link
Hi Nick

Thanks for the link - I had a quick look through it, but it says this:
Support for OpenCL 1.2
Kepler and Maxwell GPUs are supported.
So, I'm guessing that the Fermi based GTX's are not supported.

Will see over the weekend, anyways, as the Xeon mobo will get an install of Win 7, so I'll download the 364 drivers and see what happens :)

regards
Tim
nick

Post by nick »

UBT - Timbo wrote:
Will see over the weekend, anyways, as the Xeon mobo will get an install of Win 7, so I'll download the 364 drivers and see what happens :)

regards
Tim
install unRAID first :D