December Roll Call

A range of Biological/Medical Science projects that need our help, such as: Rosetta, Ralph
Rotwang1985

December Roll Call

Post by Rotwang1985 »

Hi

Just thought I'd sound out all the Rosetta peeps, I noticed there'd been no new posts since Jan '09.
I wondered if we could get this room activated & post about WU's that fail or stuff like that.

I'm sure its what people do anyway but as a noob to the forum I thought I'd use that 'new' energy to try & push the Rosetta thread.

P.S: The above sounds that an annoying "Motivational Speaker" speech, but I assure you I am not one.
UBT - Rick Horn

Post by UBT - Rick Horn »

Although Rosetta doesn`t have a massive following on this team, there are quite a few members who contribute to it: see below.

http://ubt-seti.dyndns.org/ubt/UBT.php? ... ct=Rosetta

We have "Cheerleaders" who concentrate on particular projects, and try to drum up interest.

If you would like to be the cheerleader for Rosetta, just PM Darren, our admin.

Rick.
Rotwang1985

Post by Rotwang1985 »

UBT - Rick Horn wrote:Although Rosetta doesn`t have a massive following on this team, there are quite a few members who contribute to it: see below.

http://ubt-seti.dyndns.org/ubt/UBT.php? ... ct=Rosetta

We have "Cheerleaders" who concentrate on particular projects, and try to drum up interest.

If you would like to be the cheerleader for Rosetta, just PM Darren, our admin.

Rick.
Cheerleader? ... is there no better word .... prolly not, cos I can't think of 1  :lol:

Yeh, only 12 out of the top 20 have recent credit, I see what you mean - thanks for the stats link. I just wish I had another system to use, well I do have a couple of PowerPC Macs, but they don't work on Rosetta anymore  :(
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

No tasks from Rosetta?

Post by Jeffers »

I've been crunching Rosetta for quite a while but it seems to have gone quiet recently, I've no tasks from them. I've tried doing an update and reset of the application, and I'm just upgrading BOINC as I noticed I'm a bit behind the current level.
I'll see if that helps, or has anyone else had problems?
Rotwang1985

Post by Rotwang1985 »

Its been horrific (slight exaggeration) over Xmas, its as if the last guy out of the Rosetta office switched everything off, aswell as the lights.

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/rah_status.php

There were 8 R@H servers down over Xmas, but its all up & running now.
This morning at 7.58am, I got tasks & am back to normal (2 running & 2 in bank) ... its killed my RAC though

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X_ ... directlink :(

It seems a lot of people on the Rosetta@Home forums were angry at the lack of communication from the R@H team about the outage, maybe they'll let us know what happened.
Jeffers
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Jeffers »

It seems OK now, since I updated BOINC and restarted everything. I've now got 8 tasks running.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

seeing as ive got to start crunching these on friday....

how do the credits rate....

how long do wu's take...

any info please been along time since i did any rosetta

b. :D
Timby

Post by Timby »

UBT - bobuk wrote:seeing as ive got to start crunching these on friday....

how long do wu's take...

Bob, I started early just to see how these worked, on a Q6600 running stock it takes around 3.5 hrs per wu.
UBT - bobuk
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

Post by UBT - bobuk »

Timby wrote:
UBT - bobuk wrote:seeing as ive got to start crunching these on friday....

how long do wu's take...

Bob, I started early just to see how these worked, on a Q6600 running stock it takes around 3.5 hrs per wu.

cheers mark....
i did that and started a few last night just to see  :wink:

just looked now and i had completed wu's in under 1 hour  :)

maybe i was just lucky and got short ones .....

or

maybe i am better than you  :P

Timby

Post by Timby »

Wow nice going Bob, I think you have faster electrickery than us poor sods down here  :lol:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Mine take around ~1hour ish. But i have set in my preferences for it to take roughly that long. You might want to check how long you want them to run for timby.

Although running shorter ones won't get any more credit, as the way it works is you get more credit depening upon how many simulations it can do.
shimmer45

Post by shimmer45 »

hi,

on my old p4's (around 1.7-2Ghz) im averaging around 4-6hrs depending on the size. Dual Core processors really make a difference though i only have one available  :( .

my preferences are set so that it runs all the time running max cpu and ram usage, would setting the affinity of the process help?
Rotwang1985

Post by Rotwang1985 »

Unless you are having problems with your computer and assigning resources I would let your OS manage the load across multi-cpu systems.

If like me you run 100% - 24/7 then you are getting so many hours (e.g when you are out) running 100% Boinc but when you come in, you get the benefit of Boinc not slowing down your internet/video watching - with Boinc being a lower priority process.

I think leaving it on auto gives you the best of both.

Please report back if you experiment with affinity and learn anything.

---

My own usage dilemma is that I have a quad-core server at my disposal at work and am researching how best to run Boinc on that. My initial thoughts are 100% load across all 4 CPUs from 1800h - 0800h, a good 14 hours of boinc-ery and maybe 50% across 4 CPUs through the day for noise/heat levels ....

If anyone has thoughts on this or has done it let me know.