POEM Challenge

This section is where you can post topics related to Challenges from other websites, such as Formula-BOINC, SETI-Germany and BOINCstats, as well as project challenges such as from WCG, PrimeGrid et al.

As a Team, we really want to engage as many team members with these challenges, as this gives us a great way of attracting more members to our Team...plus we get to show our strengths as a Team by (hopefully) doing well in each one.

PS: I have moved lots of topics into this section where they are relevant...as you can see, we've always been happy to take part in Challenges...and long may that continue ;-)
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

POEM Challenge

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Follow us on Twitter... http://twitter.com/UKBOINCTeam

Image Image

melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

I'm up for it! :D
Joshrandom

Post by Joshrandom »

Count me down as interested. :)
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

No idea what POEM is.
If your going to talk about a project tell peeps what it is.
When you tell peeps what it is, put a darn link in the post too (ahem lot of them about!)
And if it's March 24th fat chance.
C&C 3 mission pack out then :P
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

NaRyan wrote:No idea what POEM is.
If your going to talk about a project tell peeps what it is.
When you tell peeps what it is, put a darn link in the post too (ahem lot of them about!)
And if it's March 24th fat chance.
C&C 3 mission pack out then :P
Oooh - hark at him!Image

'spose you're right though. I ain't gonna describe it but here's a link for you...

http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/

Image Image

NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Sorry, that post was kind of harsh.
In a snot load of pain at the mo, had a visit to the emergency dentist this morning.
And ended up getting a tooth the size of the Empire stare building removed.
So with pain, lack of sleep, hunger, having to walk long distance at 8am in poring rain in freezing cold, in a lot of pain (did I mention that :(), to sit about for 90 minutes in a room with screaming kids, to end up having a needle stuck in my gob and a wisdom tooth yanked out, and to walk back home in the freezing poring rain, kind of made my day :?

Anyhoot how's your day :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ouch :!: Didn't wake up till gone 12! Partly due to a certain family member sounding like they were about to die coughing. Suppose it beats having a tooth pulled out though
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Looking at their site, can they handle a mini crunch?
As at the mo they only have 778 workunits to send and it won't take a lot  to empty that. :?
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

NaRyan wrote:Looking at their site, can they handle a mini crunch?
As at the mo they only have 778 workunits to send and it won't take a lot  to empty that. :?
I think it's one of the projects that creates WUs as and when required. If the queue drops to say 500, then another 500 are created straight away.

Still not too sure about joining this. We had problems with the 'International Gauntlet' a few months back. Nothing has been said about ranking/handicap, how the scores are going to be gathered, deadline for joining and bits I haven't thought of yet (but will do 5 minutes after I've posted this!)

There's still 2-3 weeks before we need to make a decision.

A little problem is that it's during/straight after the 'Easter Bunny Hop'. We could combine the two I suppose. We'll have to add it to the poll closer to the time. If POEM wins we can do both, if it doesn't we won't!

Image Image

UBT - The Prof....

Post by UBT - The Prof.... »

Currently running SHA, but could swap if required. Will follow group for answer nearer the time
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Oh yeah forgot about WCG's Easter thing too.
Also any idea what kind of run time POEM workunits have?
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

Guess i could do poem for a bit ... But i'l miss me ABC's .
1 good thing about tooth ache ...You can get it taken out and the pains gone ,
I find that when the kids are pains you can chuck em out but they keep coming back to be fed  :lol:

Done a few WU's on my tat p3 800 and its 10 1/2 hours for 48 credits on average .
Running 2 wu's on me 3.0 D now ..looks slightly faster ..9% in 5 mins  :lol:

But theres no x64 apps for it just a bog standard intel 86 ..boooooooooooooooooo :cry:

Update .....53 min WU gave 15.09 credit
So about 780 ish credits a day on my 3.0 D
Not too bad  :wink:
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

What the?
I just attached to it to see how it ran on my 6000+
4 of the workunits lasted a grand total of 0.38\0.39 seconds each.
3 of them got 3.47 credits each, but the 4th got 15.09 credits.

I say again "WTF?!?!?!"
NaRyan

Post by NaRyan »

Bit of a weird project this one.
Done 16 workunits, 4 of them errored, 7 lasted under a second, and the other 5 were between 8:54 & 41:09.

Credits were 3.47 for some 15.09 for others.
heck for less than a seconds work I got 45.27 credits :lol:
Rockinfroggi

Post by Rockinfroggi »

UBT - Mikee wrote: Still not too sure about joining this. We had problems with the 'International Gauntlet' a few months back. Nothing has been said about ranking/handicap, how the scores are going to be gathered, deadline for joining and bits I haven't thought of yet (but will do 5 minutes after I've posted this!)

From the way I read it in the forum, this is more to raise the profile of Poem than a challenge though this may change as at the moment I think they are just putting out feelers.

Gary.
UBT - Mikee
Marvin the Dalek

Post by UBT - Mikee »

Rockinfroggi wrote:
UBT - Mikee wrote: Still not too sure about joining this. We had problems with the 'International Gauntlet' a few months back. Nothing has been said about ranking/handicap, how the scores are going to be gathered, deadline for joining and bits I haven't thought of yet (but will do 5 minutes after I've posted this!)

From the way I read it in the forum, this is more to raise the profile of Poem than a challenge though this may change as at the moment I think they are just putting out feelers.

Gary.
Ah, fairy nuff.

Realised this morning that we still need to make a decision about the WCG challenge which starts on the 1st and finishes on the 24th March as well.

Image Image

UBT - Terry
Active UBT Contributor

Post by UBT - Terry »

I've stopped on Poem claimed credits and what you actually get are 2 very different things not at all happy with it and has anyone else noticed how much memory it uses OUCH!!!

Terry