RNA

A range of Biological/Medical Science projects that need our help, such as: Rosetta, Ralph, POEM, RNA, SIMAP, The Lattice Project, Xansons.
UBT - Chris Suddick
Active UBT Contributor 10+ yrs

RNA

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick » Tue May 28, 2019 3:44 pm

I have been 'lucky' enough to be allocated an RNA workunit and, given our FB standing at present (2nd place), it could be very useful points for us. However, (there's always an however) it has been crunching away quite happily for the last three weeks and it says that it has 69 days to go. That's not a problem - it only takes one thread and I have four available so I'll just do a little less ODLK or whatever. Unfortunately the deadline for the workunit is June 3rd (this year) which is just one week away.

Is there any point in continuing with this workunit? I'm sure I've returned work late on other projects before and been paid but that would have been a few hours late, a day max. This is going to be 9 weeks late which is in a different league altogether. Any experience of this?

Chris.

UBT - Chris Suddick

Re: RNA

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick » Tue May 28, 2019 5:30 pm

OK, I've been searching the RNA site and this is well known. The BOINC manager deadline is the original deadline and is now horse manure. The workunit trickles up results and the server re-calculates the deadline repeatedly provided you keep communicating every two weeks. The deadline on the server for my task is now 17th Jun but that should be extended as necessary.

Hopefully, our RNA score should get a boost in 2-3 months time!

Chis.

Woodles
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Woodles » Wed May 29, 2019 8:28 am

Hi Chris,

Some more information for you (and maybe bad news)

There are only a few workunits left for the project and they are very, very long running.

It will crunch to a reported 98.765% done and then stay there until it finishes. Don't think it's nearly done though as they sit at that value for about three quarters of the time.

Going by your wingman, yours should take 6 - 8 months of crunching. If you're prepared to leave it running for that length of time then it's worth it, it pays a nice amount of credits (should be around 100k) and very few other workunits will be finished so you'll shoot up the charts. You will have to be extremely patient though :lol:

Should you not wish to crunch it then at least you get credits for aborting it (at about half the rate you would have got for finishing it) If you do choose to abort it then could you let me know beforehand as I fancy doing another one as they're pretty much run and forget and they're hard to get, I can try for the re-send :)

As background, I returned an RNA workunit earlier this year that also claimed to need a few days to begin with then it changed the deadline to a couple of months, then another couple of months, then another couple of months ....

I downloaded it on 20th February 2018 and it finished on 26th April 2019 after fourteen months of continuous crunching! :o

http://www.rnaworld.de/rnaworld/result. ... d=14953895

Mark

UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo » Wed May 29, 2019 9:14 am

Woodles wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:28 am

I downloaded it on 20th February 2018 and it finished on 26th April 2019 after fourteen months of continuous crunching! :o

http://www.rnaworld.de/rnaworld/result. ... d=14953895

Mark
Hi Mark

Indeed:
2019-04-26 10:25:09 (5616): Guest Log: [boinc_app] worker: 1908 ended with cpu_time_all: 36648243
That's 36,648,243 seconds

= 610,804.05 minutes
= 10,180.0675 hours
= 424.169 days

Jeez !!

At least the credits earned were proportional to actual CPU time taken and were not awarded based on the least amount of time taken by wingmen:

http://www.rnaworld.de/rnaworld/results ... stid=48348

regards
Tim

Woodles
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Woodles » Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 am

Hi Tim,

i think there was a bonus for finishing it quickly :lol:

Could have done with an extra 33k credits for the top spot at FB.

Mark

UBT - Chris Suddick

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick » Wed May 29, 2019 11:21 am

Well, it will be good news if it finishes before the end of the year as it might give us top spot in FB table. If it goes in to next year it may count for nothing if RNA is not included or never makes the 2 million cutoff.

I'll stick with it. Given that my current RNA tally is 6 points then it will improve my personal score considerably :-)

Chris.

UBT - Chris Suddick

Post by UBT - Chris Suddick » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:12 pm

Well, I got back from my holidays and my PC was in a very sluggish state, the network was off and AVG was bleating loudly. So, I decided to reboot my machine aand my RNA task with 45 days gone went and aborted itself with a computation error. I got 12k points for it but it still leaves us 20k short of top spot. Even worse - if someone does finish it before the end of the year then the wingman will also get a bucket load of points and the wingman is on team Planet3D Now who are just behind us in the table. Sh!t happens.

Chris.