Saving YouTube videos to your computer.

Add links or just chat about things you've found elsewhere on the web...or just add a "plug" for a local event happening near you...!
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Saving YouTube videos to your computer.

Post by melter65 »

I've found an old ComputerActive magazine that includes a way to save YouTube vidoes to your computer using free conversion software and iTunes. If anyone is interested I'll try and find the workshop online and post it here. Failing that I'll post a condensed version of the workshop with all the links to the software :D
jaysback

Post by jaysback »

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Couple of people at work have asked me how to do this.
Timby

Post by Timby »

Yeah sounds like a good plan Mr Melter, be nice to have a few of your fav vids saved for off line use!
UBT - mickyb69

Post by UBT - mickyb69 »

:la:  :la:  :3some:  :3some:  :3some:  :booty:  :booty:  :love3:  :love3:
david

Post by david »

Ashampoo clipfisher allows you to save You tube videos,its not very expensive or.if you are that way inclined off the torrent sites,that does Windoze

Haven't really looked how to do it in Linux but it shouldn't be all that difficult.

David
UBT - JohnR

Post by UBT - JohnR »

Firefox has lots of add-ons to allow the download and save of Youtube and other video's

Not sure which is best as I've not tried any (yet)
melter65
Active UBT Contributor

Post by melter65 »

ComputerActive's way of saving and organising YouTube videos goes like this;

Download Quicktime and iTunes

Download Free YouTube to iPod and PSP Converter

Go to 'YouTube' and select a video you want to save (or click on one in this forum!) Go to the grey box, top right, that contains the name of the person who uploaded the video and the date it was added. Find the 'URL' of the video, if it isn't there, click on the small blue word 'more', this will expand the grey box.

Click on the videos 'URL' and 'copy'. Launch the Converter and 'paste' the videos 'URL' into the 'Input file' box. The 'Output file' box will automatically set to default, but the Mag recommends using the 'Browse' button and resetting the 'Output file' box to 'My Videos' so the converted file is easier to find later. Set the 'Devices' box to 'Apple iPod', although you don't need an iPod to watch the videos. Set the 'Presets' box to 'iPod 5.5 Highest Quality (MPEG4, 24fps, 640x480; AAC)'. Click on 'Download and Convert'

You can now double-click on the file in your 'My Videos' folder, but if you have a lot of downloaded videos then 'iTunes' is an easy war to organise them. Launch 'iTunes' and click on 'File', then click on 'Add Folder to Library'. Locate your 'My Documents' folder and click on 'My Videos' within it. This tells 'iTunes' to add any videos in that folder to the 'Movies' section of the 'iTunes Library'.

Now with your downloaded videos in the 'iTunes Library' you can use its controls to view your videos on your own PC, over and over, without having to find them on 'YouTube' (including Full Screen, although the picture quality won't be brilliant!)

ENDS

I'll use this to download videos onto my PSP (another setting in the 'Devices' menu) Any questions, give me a shout and I'll try and answer them! :D
sigma-7

Post by sigma-7 »

Download this from majorgeeks for your video downloads from youtube etc

http://majorgeeks.com/save2pc_d5580.html