Welcome UBT - verdade

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
UBT - Halifax-lad

Welcome UBT - verdade

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Welcome to the only place hip enough to be seen in public
Last edited by UBT - Halifax-lad on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havoc
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Havoc »

Welcome
UBT-mark3346
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Welcome and hearty congratulations on your excellent taste in joining this fine team. :salute:  :salute:
UBT - verdade

Post by UBT - verdade »

Thanks for the warm welcome.  :D

After changing my mind a couple of times, and messing people around, I am now "UBT - verdade", both in the projects, and on this forum. Thanks to the admins for sorting that one out.

My crunching is focused on cancer-research, hence the fact that I started off with the World Community Grid. Largely, because my father died from cancer in March. It was only then that I really looked into it properly, and found that it's a lot more common than I realised. IIRC, 25% of people will develop cancer at some point in their life, and it causes 12.5% of deaths.

I'm crunching on the "Help Defeat Cancer" project from WCG, but also the "Human Proteome Folding 2" one. I've also started on Rosetta@Home, because that's developing the next generation of the software that the HPF projects use. HDC seems to target advancements in current treatments and knowledge, while HPF seems to target the creation of new treatments (for many serious diseases in addition to cancer, including AIDS).

If anyone knows other BOINC projects that will help in cancer-research, or any that are planned, please let me know.

Thanks,

Michael.
UBT - Halifax-lad

We will certainly keep you informed of any new projects to do with cancer they all get reported on in this forum
UBT - verdade

Post by UBT - verdade »

Thanks, Dave.

I looked at some of the other protein-folding-related ones, but it takes time to follow the science and work out whether it's what I'm looking for. Still, I reckon this is probably the best place to get informed.  :wink:

Michael.
UBT - Halifax-lad

Well you are on a winner with WCG & Rosetta there are both focused around the kind of science you are looking to do. I'm sure more will pop out at some point
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

Warm welcome to you  UBT - verdade.  :hello1:

Jimmy