Welcome Drezha

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Welcome Drezha

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Welcome to the Team (on multiple projects, from Phoenix Rising)

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Post by UBT - Halifax-lad »

Welcome
UBT - JsF

Post by UBT - JsF »

Welcome Drezha  :hello2:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

welcome aboard   :wave:
Havoc
Active UBT Contributor 15+ yrs

Post by Havoc »

Welcome
Last edited by Havoc on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Good choice, welcome and enjoy the team. :D  :lol:
binlala

Post by binlala »

yo drezha dude....

bruva hommie from TPR...

anyway seems nice here... my units will be happy here :D
Drezha
Phoenix Rising team member

Post by Drezha »

Cheers for the welcome.

Never expected a welcome :)

Getting a bit disillusioned with it over at TPR. Couple of comments made have made me think twice about staying there. :(

Anyhow at the minute I'm not crunching BOINC, I'm into Folding@home as last BOINC I ran was SIMAP and that was taking a large chunk of bandwidth etc, I've just moved back to Leeds and didn't know whether the connection would be bandwidth limited...

Anyhow...I'm yet to decide to wheather fully move teams to here and wether to move back onto BOINC. :?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Come back to BOINC its nice and easy to run.

What projects interest you?
Drezha

Post by Drezha »

I'm a fan of the protein projects.

SIMAP I'd probably start again. I do like CPDN as well. Predictor I became a bit disillusioned with but I ran it for a while...

Rosetta I've given up on...the credit system is completely unfair IMHO and I don't see how selective WU's = good science...

I did signup to the UK CPDN version one (the high requirement one) but it wouldn't let me get in and change my name.

I think I'll give it another go. Is there a monitoring application that offers more stats and the like since I left BOINC a while ago?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Not really anything decent to monitor BOINC with to look at stats your best bet is to use BOINCstats to keep an eye on whatever credit BOINC is producing.

Rosetta are due to use a new credit system that is currently been tested.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Drezha wrote: I've just moved back to Leeds
Oh yeah, whereabouts?
Drezha

Post by Drezha »

Down next to the mosque in the Hdye Park area. :)

When SIMAP is back and going, I'll come back to BOINC I think. There any optimised clients for the new releases yet?
UBT - Halifax-lad

Drezha wrote:When SIMAP is back and going, I'll come back to BOINC I think. There any optimised clients for the new releases yet?
SIMAP is working fine here and the science app is already highly optimised without and additions needed of an external optimised app.
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Drezha wrote:Down next to the mosque in the Hdye Park area. :)
My brother used to live around there many many years ago.
Drezha

Post by Drezha »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote: SIMAP is working fine here and the science app is already highly optimised without and additions needed of an external optimised app.
I meant a processor optmised core to increase the benchmarks. Or in my absence, are all the projects bringing in the SETI beta way of doing things?

Doesn't seem like a bad area to live mind. :)

EDIT:

SIMAP working fine here now as well. It was down ealier when I tried about 5 :oops:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Drezha wrote:I meant a processor optmised core to increase the benchmarks. Or in my absence, are all the projects bringing in the SETI beta way of doing things?
Increasing benchmarks is classed as cheating by most participants in BOINC luckily SIMAP as a quorum of 3 which means such cheating can't really happen as 3 results have got to be compared before credit is given
Drezha

Post by Drezha »

So using the optimised BOINC applications that Cruncher made was classed as cheating?

I classed it as getting a score my benchmark deserves!

And when I ran linux for a while, I classed it as trying to keep the same kind of benchmarks as a Windows machine of the same specs :evil:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Yes anything that alters the benchmarks to make them higher is classed as cheating, luckily most projects are now jumping on the bandwagon to stop inflated benchmarks & optimised BOINC apps from claiming the higher credit. Very few projects now have a quorum of one and the ones that do are mainly test projects
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Drezha wrote:So using the optimised BOINC applications that Cruncher made was classed as cheating?
It would probably be more accurate to say Increasing benchmarks is classed as cheating by some participants in BOINC
These views are mostly voiced in the relevant project forums.
It should be remembered that the percentage of users that post to project forums is tiny and that the percentage of those that think the above is cheating is also tiny.
So all in all, a very small but quite vocal number of users believe the above is cheating.
:D
UBT - Halifax-lad

Cheating that is now been phased out by the projects, has taken some of them time to get around to it but its all getting sorted.

edit: PS Not calling anyone here a Cheat
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:
Drezha wrote:I meant a processor optmised core to increase the benchmarks. Or in my absence, are all the projects bringing in the SETI beta way of doing things?
Increasing benchmarks is classed as cheating by most participants in BOINC luckily SIMAP as a quorum of 3 which means such cheating can't really happen as 3 results have got to be compared before credit is given

For genuine (but slow) crunchers a quorum of 3 is not a good thing. I know little about this "cheating" but I was robbed  :evil:  of about 140 credits for SETI when the longer workunits came in. Only one other cruncher returned their results so the quorum of 3 was not reached and at the time that amounted to about a weeks crunching wasted. I now mostly Rosetta and a bit of Xtremlab where the credit is instant.
Last edited by UBT-mark3346 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UBT - Halifax-lad

UBT-mark3346 wrote:Only one other cruncher returned their results so the quorum of 3 was not reached and at the time that amounted to about a weeks crunching wasted
You don't waste time at all just have to wait for the quorum to be met sometimes it happens straight away other times you may have to wait a bit for results to come in
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT-mark3346 wrote:For genuine (but slow) crunchers a quorum of 3 is not a good thing. I know little about this "cheating" but I was robbed  :evil:  of about 140 credits for SETI when the longer workunits came in. Only one other cruncher returned their results so the quorum of 3 was not reached and at the time that amounted to about a weeks crunching wasted. I now mostly Rosetta and a bit of extreme where the credit is instant.

The thing about the quorum, is that even if some of the original WU's are not returned, and hence your returned work is "pending", eventually, the project will get around to re-sending it out again (and again and again, if needs be, until quorum is met).

So you WILL get your credit - just sometimes it might take longer.

You won't lose out. The credit will arrive (assuming it validates OK). Just need to be a little patient

regards,

Tim
UBT-mark3346

Post by UBT-mark3346 »

Oh well, I guess they didn't validate then as it has been ages since the deadline passed and they no longer show as pending credit (they were pending a while which was unusual as I was not the fastest to return most results so got the credit fairly quickly). I had checked while they were pending and I know one other returned them with about the same credit claimed but the other probably did not complete them as they had loads of more recent workunits done but a chunk of older ones was not. :cry:
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Re: Welcome Drezha

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Timbo wrote:Welcome to the Team (on multiple projects, from Phoenix Rising)

regards,

Tim
I think Drezha has gone back to Phoenix Rising.....!

eg:

on Einstein
http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/team- ... h&team=173

on BBC CCE
http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/team- ... ce&team=12

maybe others - too upset to look !!!

oh well.......

regards

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

Never mind can't keep them all, anyway he wasn't doing any BOINC work at this particular moment in time when he joined us he was just doing folding
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

UBT - Halifax--lad wrote:Never mind can't keep them all, anyway he wasn't doing any BOINC work at this particular moment in time when he joined us he was just doing folding
Think he might still be attached to UBT on some projects but must wait for the stats sites to update themselves - he was active on many projects and as such, I can't be a*sed to look them all up......

Shame. But he might be back.....

regards,

Tim
UBT - Halifax-lad

It does appear he has reverted back to the old team on the projects he has joined us on had a quick peek whilst looking at any new members that have joined us today
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

A spy....   :lol:

Are we that dangerous  :lurk:
UBT - Halifax-lad

Can't really spy on a public forum  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:
Drezha

Post by Drezha »

I'm just finishing a 40+ hour work unit on Folding@home  :?

When I tried BOINC earlier on, it would appear to have clashed with my firewall. I need to work around it (and forward a port on my router) to allow it to access it. :oops:

The aim is to say round here a bit more and see if I want my credits with the team. :wink:  Not a decision I'll take likely...espcially now as energy is increasing in price...
UBT - Halifax-lad

So long as you set BOINC to have access to its self and the net it all should be fine, what Firewall is it you have :?: