Hello!

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
Boldy

Hello!

Post by Boldy »

Good evening ladies and gents.

I'm an entirely new Boinc user, with some very limited folding@home experience on a PS3 with yellowdog Linux way back when.

Currently based in the Netherlands but originally from Yorkshire, in particular, I am currently working on Rosetta tasks - I basically picked a project which seemed to be health related, but I'd love to expand that, I have an interest in assisting the study of Neurodegenerative issues in particular - if you know of any, be sure to let me know.

Computers on 24/7 and folding only stops for some light gaming. Switched over to Linux once I could enjoy most of my steam library with DXVK/Proton.

It's a mid range machine already showing it's age ; Ryzen 1600X / GTX 1060 6GB. It's my only machine unfortunately, but one which I'd like to upgrade in the not too distant future.

I won't be your biggest folder by any means, but it'll hopefully help.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

- Boldy
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: Hello!

Post by Woodles »

Hi Boldy,

Don'y worry, we all started off with no Boinc experience :handgestures-thumbup:

Ah, another cruncher from Yorkshire, we'll soon be taking over the forum! (There's a few of us about!)

There's a list of Boinc projects at https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Project_list although the descriptions are brief and not always helpful. Also, the list isn't maintained much and some projects have finished and others started but it may be a starting point?

I don't know of any specific projects for Neurodegenerative issues but you might find MindModelling for your CPU (although work is very sporadic) and GPUGrid for your GPU are vaguely related?

Either way, welcome to the team and forum :) and don't worry about how many machines you have or how modern they are, every tasks helps out the project and every point helps out the team.

Mark
Boldy

Post by Boldy »

Thanks Mark,

Ill be sure to check it out, seems there's a few things on there worth a closer inspection, in fairness to Rosetta, it seems to have a constant stream of tasks to resolve. I'll probably be about the forum, I see there's already a few discussions regarding gaming on the Linux platform, probably find me there fanning the flames.

I won't mention my football interests from our region in case I run into any opposing fans, though I am totally open to any banter of that nature :dance:

Shoutout to Tim btw for opening the doors after the wave of bot registrations, I think I am the first in since the registration lock.

See you about folks!

- Boldy
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Boldy

Welcome to the forum.

Glad you were able to register OK and thanks for your patience, while the forum reg process was suspended.
boldy wrote: Shoutout to Tim btw for opening the doors after the wave of bot registrations, I think I am the first in since the registration lock.
No worries :-)

And needless to say, since re-opening it, I've had at least 4 more scurrilous membership applications from countries East of Poland !!.

Feel free to peruse the many years of postings in the forum...sadly, we have just a small core of regular forum members these days, as quite a few have either given up BOINC or they don't feel the need to participate here.

But those that do show up are very helpful and are willing to chat about almost anything. :-)

regards
Tim