New, very new

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
lexy

New, very new

Post by lexy »

Hi everyone. I've just discovered boinc and it all seems very interesting. If anyone has any info or comments about what ukboinc is into or any suggestions for projects etc, everything much appreciated.
Thanks, Lx
chriscambridge
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: New, very new

Post by chriscambridge »

Hi Lx,

Welcome aboard.

I would say take a look at all the projects and work on those that seem interesting to you.

Medical? Maths? Science? and so on.

In terms of technical advice I would definitely say that in the long run electricity costs are what costs most. New equipment costs less to run than older stuff. But obviously costs more when buying. You have to try and find the middle ground I guess between these two points.

If you already have a computer then this is less important than if you buying or upgrading.

The most amount of work you can do comes from Graphics cards, so I would aim for one of these; but not every project uses them; so that is something to think and ask about when you decide what projects to work on.

In terms of other stuff, I will let others give more advice as they have been doing this much longer than I and hence are more experienced.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Lexy,

Welcome.

An easy answer, the UK Boinc team is into EVERY BOINC project that is going :D

As far as projects specifically for you, more information please. Are you interested in mathematic principles (prime numbers, conjectures, code breaking etc), medical matters (cancer cures, drug profiling, protein structures etc), astronomy (alien searches, star mapping etc) or something else?

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Lx,

Welcome to the UK BOINC Team (UBT for short ;-) )

As Chris and Mark have already implied, our "remit" is to support each and every BOINC project, so no matter which one (or more) takes your fancy, you can be sure that:
1) our team already has members who are (or have been) active on that project
2) the team always strives to help "newbies" understand which projects are perhaps the most worthwhile-

...and hence we can provide info to you about how best to configure your computer and make the most of the processing power you have at your disposal (esp if you have a desktop machine with a ATI/AMD/NVidia based graphics card).

So, pick one or more projects, make sure you "join" our Team on each of the projects website (having logged into your account on) and allow your computer to download some tasks.

Let us know how it goes, and if you have any issues, then feel free to ask away - we've all been "newbies" at some point and gradually we've learnt how to help all the projects and have a bit of fun too.

EDIT: I've found "lexy"'s SETI@home account and the account lists the following processor and OS:
CPU type: ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) (2 processors)
BOINC version: 7.4.53
Memory: 0.81 GB

So, talking about GPU's and optimising your "PC" for best performance will be a bit limited. :-(

regards
Tim