Guzza's Adventures

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
Guzza

Guzza's Adventures

Post by Guzza »

Hi everyone,

Thanks to admin for (finally) approving me! :)

I'm an ex-BOINCer that is starting up again with a new profile.
I used to have a Dream PC of the year but it's now sat in my room gathering dust as it's borked.
So now I have a more basic PC and will be running an i7-4790 and a NV GF 730 GPU. It's stock cooled so I run BoincTasks and TThrottle to keep the temps in range.

Whilst I can't churn out huge credits etc happy to be part of challenges if my CPU/GPU is up to the task.

I'm currently doing the PrimeGrid challenge with 2 other UK BOINC Team members that ends tonight - I should be able to get another 17k credits by the end. Does everyone here do challenges much anymore?

Any tips welcome.

~G~
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Re: Guzza's Adventures

Post by Woodles »

Hi Guzza,

Welcome to the team. Admin has been away on a jolly for a few days which is probably why it took a while to be approved.

Any credit is welcome both by the team and for the project involved.

As far as challenges are concerned, I like to join in but I didn't know this particular one was running and it's a little late to join in now I feel :)

Regards,

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Guzza wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks to admin for (finally) approving me! :)
Hi Guzza

Welcome to the Team and to our Forum. Apologies for the slightly delayed "approval" - as Mark said, I was away until late Monday night and have slowly been getting back into the swing of things.

The "admin approval" measure is actually a recent introduction, as we had been targeted by some spam-bots and the normal phpBB extensions weren't working too well (to keep them out). So, I had to introduce the admin approval to ensure that accounts were "allotted" to genuine members.
I'm an ex-BOINCer that is starting up again with a new profile.
Are you aware that, even as an exBOINCer, if you still have access to your original email address, your earlier credits can be added to your new credits - though this won't work if you have two accounts on the same project :-(

Likewise, on projects where you have just the one account, I believe you can log in to your account and then change the email address to your new one...and that projects credits, should then be assigned to your new account....though it might take a day or three for the merging of credits on the stats websites.
I used to have a Dream PC of the year but it's now sat in my room gathering dust as it's borked.
So now I have a more basic PC and will be running an i7-4790 and a NV GF 730 GPU. It's stock cooled so I run BoincTasks and TThrottle to keep the temps in range.

Whilst I can't churn out huge credits etc happy to be part of challenges if my CPU/GPU is up to the task.

I'm currently doing the PrimeGrid challenge with 2 other UK BOINC Team members that ends tonight - I should be able to get another 17k credits by the end. Does everyone here do challenges much anymore?

Any tips welcome.

~G~
A 4790 + NV 730 is still a good combination and should churn out a good whack of credits...so, your contribution will be greatly appreciated.

As far as challenges goes, I've got Willy at BOINCstats to "auto-include" UBT in all of his challenges...and likewise, I've tried to do the same at WCG, but that varies from month to month.

On the individual projects websites, I don't get reminders from them as to when they are starting up a new challenge, though sometimes I might notice one in the "Notices" section of BOINCTasks (which I use too, in preference to BOINC Manager).

Sadly however, I don't think we have enough regular forum visitors these days, (compared to say 5 or more years ago) to truly be able to muster a significant number of members to actually compete "well" on a challenge.

Having said that, one challenge that has generated some member interest is Formula-BOINC, for which no registration is required...and all that this website does is to add all the members credits together that have been earned within the calendar year and to produce a table which is based on the points system used in Formula 1 (25 pts for 1st place, 18 for 2nd etc).

http://formula-boinc.org/index.py?lang= ... &year=2016

Thus far we're in League 2 (as our Team RAC is between 1M and 10M) and we're currently in 8th place. So, if you have any spare CPU capacity, then take a look at the projects where we are either within a points scoring position (and could earn more if we had just a few extra credits) or where we are in 11th or 12th place (and just a few extra credits could put us into the points :-) ).

Hope this helps
regards
Tim
Guzza

Post by Guzza »

Awesome!

I did not realise that units assigned in the challenge before the deadline would be granted - I thought the unit had to arrive back at PG Headquarters - missed out on 8 units (36k) oh well. There's another PrimeGrid challenge starting soon.

I think the majority of projects were on my previous profile so doubt I will be able to get much back from that - I might take a look at it later.

I'm pretty much hitting PrimeGrid now - so there's a chance I can help push us into 9th for an extra point. Seems pretty hard to hold them all I bet!

Just doubled my previous total credit in 1 day from 40,670 to 84,182! Might give the PC a rest for a day hah!

What projects is everyone crunching?
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi Guzza,

If you visit our stats website at this link:

http://ubtstats.co.uk/ubt/UBT.php?cs=1& ... oject=comb

and then click on the right hand red/blue image to the far right of the row for each member, you can see a mini-graph of the projects that each person has recently crunched.

However, this isn't 100% correct, as some of the more recent projects haven't been added, as the member who created the stats website doesn't run BOINC anymore and he hasn't updated it :-(

But at least you can see the sorts of projects that members are supporting. :-)

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Guzza wrote:Awesome!

I did not realise that units assigned in the challenge before the deadline would be granted - I thought the unit had to arrive back at PG Headquarters - missed out on 8 units (36k) oh well. There's another PrimeGrid challenge starting soon.

I think the majority of projects were on my previous profile so doubt I will be able to get much back from that - I might take a look at it later.

I'm pretty much hitting PrimeGrid now - so there's a chance I can help push us into 9th for an extra point. Seems pretty hard to hold them all I bet!

Just doubled my previous total credit in 1 day from 40,670 to 84,182! Might give the PC a rest for a day hah!

What projects is everyone crunching?
Hi Guzza,

Strange, normally points are only scored for workunits returned before the end of the challenge otherwise you could just stockpile a load of work and finish it off after the competition has officially ended.

If you check out the Formula Boinc thread in the private team chat area you can see that Primegrid was one of the projects that needed a little help so good choice :) It's quite difficult to keep all the projects balanced but we seem to be managing it generally.
give the PC a rest for a day
Mine don't know what that phrase means! :D

If you go here http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-5/team/ ... rojectList you'll get an idea of what projects the team is currently crunching, go here http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-5/user/list/0/0/214/0 and click on the graph box at the end of a team members row then the "Project list" tab and you'll see what each individual is crunching.

Personally, I'm on Primegrid, NFS, SRBase and a bit of Enigma. Goofyxgrid and WUProp are NCI (non computing intensive - hardly take any computing power) so they usually get run by everyone in the background.

Regards,

Mark
Guzza

Post by Guzza »

Thanks Woodles - it was more of a "what is everyone crunching NOW" type question - rather than seeing what projects everyone had done in the past as well. I was looking at SRBase last night - that might be my next main project. I'm resting SETI for now and I've added Goofyxgrid and WUProp.

I'm crunching a few larger units on PG (PPS CPU Sieve) - once those are done I will be going for more shorter units so I don't get caught with deadlines!

I'm not sure I am in the private chat area - where would I find that?
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Guzza wrote:Thanks Woodles - it was more of a "what is everyone crunching NOW" type question - rather than seeing what projects everyone had done in the past as well. I was looking at SRBase last night - that might be my next main project. I'm resting SETI for now and I've added Goofyxgrid and WUProp.

I'm crunching a few larger units on PG (PPS CPU Sieve) - once those are done I will be going for more shorter units so I don't get caught with deadlines!

Well it does show the daily credits earned so it's pretty much up to date. Since there's only a limited number of people reading this forum at the moment, you wouldn't get many replies here. There's a few sub projects on SRBase, some pay better than others, some are shorter than others and some are both. Best indicator is to look at the server status and see which sub project has the most hosts crunching, that's normally the most profitable one to go for ... or course, you may have a different selection criteria :)

You can always change the settings in Boinc Manager to only cache a smaller amount.

Ah, my mistake, I've been informed by Admin that you only get to the top secret private chat area after you've been here a while and proved you're not a spambot (wait for your name to turn orange), should be any day now :D

Regards,

Mark
Last edited by Woodles on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Guzza wrote:Thanks Woodles - it was more of a "what is everyone crunching NOW" type question - rather than seeing what projects everyone had done in the past as well. I was looking at SRBase last night - that might be my next main project. I'm resting SETI for now and I've added Goofyxgrid and WUProp.
Hi Guzza

You can see what the entire team has crunched over the last day/week/month here:

http://ubtstats.co.uk/ubt/ubt_graph.php ... INC%20Team

and if you hover the mouse cursor over any of the bars, you can see specific details of the credits earned.

The Private Chat area is "restricted access", rather than being on "open view" like the rest of the forum. You are provided with free access to it, once you have:

* posted at least 5 posts to the forum (so we know you are "real")
* that your forum name correlates to your BOINC user name
* you have chosen UBT as your Team on all BOINC projects

Once these "requirements" are met, your forum name will change colour from RED to ORANGE and you will have access to the Team chat area. As you are clearly NOT a spam-bot and have met the other criteria, so, you can now access the Private Chat area. :-)

regards
Tim
Guzza

Post by Guzza »

Hey chaps,

On BoincSTATS I'm getting the "User ID doesn't exist in BOINC combined or doesn't have any credit." message when I click on detailed stats - it's been like that for 3 days now. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Cheers
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi

I would guess that something might be amiss either with regards to BOINCstats "back-office" stats (as they can take a while to fully import everyones stats) or it could be that there is an issue with one specific CPID, on one project that is preventing BOINCstats from collating all the relevant info together.

Give it another few days to settle down and, as long as you have used the same email address on all the specific projects then it will all link up :-)

regards
Tim
Guzza

Post by Guzza »

Cheers - yeah was wondering if it was a macro or micro issue. Will check back mid-week!
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi

Our stats website (which doesn't include some of the newer projects but IS in "real time") shows this:

http://ubtstats.co.uk/ubt/ubt_graph.php ... name=Guzza

whereas BOINCstats (which can be a good few hours between stats updates) shows this:

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/user/ ... rojectList

for your projects stats

and this

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/user/ ... 264/charts

which shows a similar chart showing your recent credits (see pie charts at the bottom).

Are these the only projects you are participating in, or is there another one (or more) that isn't being displayed yet ?

regards
Tim
Guzza

Post by Guzza »

Nope those are the 4 projects - weird how the BStats works with my User ID number 4244264. When I click on Detailed Stats the page that load up is:
http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/user/ ... 4a1f055cd/
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

Hi

There are a lot of different numbers involved in identifying you:

For each project, you have a User ID number, which is basically an incremental number, starting from a specific point, which indicates when you signed up to that project (lower numbers = earlier).

Then you have the Cross-Project ID number, which is a unique alpha-numeric code, assigned to you, once the various projects you have signed up for recognise your email address.

For BOINCstats, they also issue you with a user number, which is for their own internal use and which is a constant, and relates to your Cross-Project ID, in their internal database.

I've looked on the BS website and your CPID is: 1723d545e77bc4417959afcfecbe3b7d

I clicked on the link you provided and it says:
User ID doesn't exist in BOINC combined or doesn't have any credit.
It's possible that the BS "back-office" is aligning your respective project stats...but for the time being your actual stats are here:

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/user/ ... cfecbe3b7d

regards
Tim
Guzza

Post by Guzza »

I decided to reset my CPID which after a day has now synced up so all is well in BS land!