New Member - ex F@H member

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
BaskB

New Member - ex F@H member

Post by BaskB »

Hey All,

Just starting off in the world of BOINC having made the jump from F@H (Folding at Home for those unaware).

Got some setting up todo but hope to be adding to the team stats soon :)

BaskB
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

Re: New Member - ex F@H member

Post by nick »

welcome fellow newbie i just started about a week ago
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Welcome Baskb,

Setting up for Boinc should be pretty straightforward these days but if you have any problems/questions just shout.

Mark
BaskB

Post by BaskB »

Yup fairly easy so far.

First PC started generating last night so just waiting for them to be validated.

GPU's are running for Einstein project but any tips on what I should aim the CPU cycles at? Had to limit my main rig to just use 2 cores as the temps being generated were pretty insane, always liked Mini-itx rigs but they aren't great for clearing heat out with Folding/BOINC, may need to look at a new case ;) (just need an excuse to play with upgrading hehe)
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

BaskB wrote:Hey All,

Just starting off in the world of BOINC having made the jump from F@H (Folding at Home for those unaware).

Got some setting up todo but hope to be adding to the team stats soon :)

BaskB
Hi and welcome to UBT :)

BOINC is fairly simple to set up...just a question of using BOINC Manager to control how many cores you want to use and which projects to join in with.

Using a GPU is worthwhile, as you'll earn more credits (generally) compared to CPU work - but I would suggest you use something like the (free) MSI Afterburner software which can help control the GPU hardware, so it doesn't overheat.

regards
Tim
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

BaskB wrote:Yup fairly easy so far.

First PC started generating last night so just waiting for them to be validated.

GPU's are running for Einstein project but any tips on what I should aim the CPU cycles at? Had to limit my main rig to just use 2 cores as the temps being generated were pretty insane, always liked Mini-itx rigs but they aren't great for clearing heat out with Folding/BOINC, may need to look at a new case ;) (just need an excuse to play with upgrading hehe)
Do you have any particular interest in one subject or another? Maths, science, alien hunting, medicine?

If you don't have any preferences, it might be worth looking at the Formula Boinc thread for projects that need a bit of help.

There's no need to upgrade ... just get a whole new machine and run both :D

Mark
BaskB

Post by BaskB »

Gamings my top interest ;)

Have added myself to a couple of the Formula BOINC projects to see if can help out there a bit, I like the challenge of earning points/tweaking to gain those extra ppd

Got 2x Rigs running already and if I'll have a play with the Linux version later on the server to use spare CPU cycles from there also. With just some Ram & HDD I could get a 4th box running aswell but that'll be sometime off yet.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

I don't think there's any project that gives you credits for playing games ... unfortunately :D

Good to see you on Formula Boinc, we'll see how things go there.
BaskB

Post by BaskB »

Now see that is a shame! Ha Ha

Anyways managed to get the server up and running last night also so thats my 3 rigs all processing now.

Had to take the case sides off my Gaming rig to let it run all 4x CPU cores at 100% (Temps still around 75-80 though so only run it 4 cores overnight and 1 during the day) so going to look at cooling options for this which means a new case etc. Been wanting to upgrade for a while anyway so this gives me a perfect oppertunity (read excuse) that I use to justify it with the wife! Ha Ha.

Anyways currently at 28k points and must have another 15-20k awaiting validation (my god that takes forever) so looking good.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

BaskB wrote:Now see that is a shame! Ha Ha

Anyways managed to get the server up and running last night also so thats my 3 rigs all processing now.

Had to take the case sides off my Gaming rig to let it run all 4x CPU cores at 100% (Temps still around 75-80 though so only run it 4 cores overnight and 1 during the day) so going to look at cooling options for this which means a new case etc. Been wanting to upgrade for a while anyway so this gives me a perfect oppertunity (read excuse) that I use to justify it with the wife! Ha Ha.

Anyways currently at 28k points and must have another 15-20k awaiting validation (my god that takes forever) so looking good.
Indeed it is, I would be contributing a whole lot more points if that was the case :)

Congratulations, the credits should be pouring in now.

That does seem a bit high/need better cooling. It appears your i5 uses the same socket as my i7, I use one of these https://www.scan.co.uk/products/arctic- ... 11-1150-11 and with all eight cores running Boinc @4.4GHz, it only gets to the mid 60s with the case shut. You will definitely need a bigger case though :D Did you try it with the case closed to begin with as sometimes, the case funnels the airflow to the right places and you get better cooling from a concentrated jet of slightly warm air rather than a vague wafting of cooler air.

Not bad at all for just a few days work, when i started crunching I needed to keep switching projects around to make sure I averaged 1K a day!

Mark
BaskB

Post by BaskB »

Ah the issue with my rigs are they are ALL mini-itx (I love small form factor, and the i3 is my portable gaming pc that fits in my rucksack so is critical it needs to be small).

Server runs in a Lian-Li PC-Q02 which isnt an issue as it's Linux and in the most part just used for Netflix and storage of media so heat isnt an issue here.

The main gaming rig runs in a Coolermaster Elite 130 so space is compact and thus both it and the server run this CPU cooler http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Pr ... hp?Idx=790

Works fine at lower tasks but with the GTX in the Coolermaster I think I've probably hit the max it can handle for the confined space so probably need to look more at a mATX range case and always fancied a closed loop Rad setup (H100 etc).

Had the case closed up until last night and all 4 cores at 100% was hitting late 80 early 90 mark which is far too close to the max temp for me and thus I dropped it to 2 cores until I took the case off last night.

My portable rig runs the stock Intel cooler and never passes 75c the GPU (GTX 750) is the new low power Nvidias and thus run low temps anyway havent passed 60c on that puppy yet so am happy with that one. I've throttled it slightly anyway as the rig runs on a Pico 160XT so have to keep the power draw low anyway.

So really its just the main gaming rig causing the issue, was kind of inevitable anyway as originally it housed a HD 6850 till I upgraded end of 2014 and at the time didnt change the case but in hindsight probably should have.

*****EDIT*****

Think I've found my case 8)

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-mod ... C_00002559

Probably going to stack 2 of these puppies onto each other, run both in horizontal format with the Rig at the bottom and the server at the top. Stick a ton of fans in it or perhaps even the H80i exhausting out of the back and I'd be laughing.

Looks like a lot of fun to play with also, just need to measure up when I get home later
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

It does depend a lot on what you intend doing with the system once it's built. My set up was built from scratch recently purely to be a cruncher for Boinc so I had allowed for a decent sized cooler for the CPU knowing it was going to be run flat out 24/7. It does mean I'm left with a full size tower case but it's stuck in the corner of the room anyway so not a problem.

I like the look of the new case, you certainly shouldn't have a space problem with them!

Mark
BaskB

Post by BaskB »

Holy Cow those GPUgrid WU's are good for an increase in points, was shocked when I jumped up by nearly 200k! Has put me into the top 1000 already
UBT - Chris
Active UBT Contributor 5+ yrs

Post by UBT - Chris »

Welcome, BaskB!

As Woodles (Mark) said, if you need anything, just shout and we'll all be happy to help! :D

Chris
'UBT - Chris' is my old name - I now crunch as 'CaffeinatedSloth' but I'm still 100% UBT :D