hello everyone

An area for greetings to (or from) NEW members of the Team and/or the Forum. Say "HELLO" here - no one will bite !!
nick
Active UBT Contributor 1+ yr

hello everyone

Post by nick »

i just joined via atlas@home and i have bionic running on 2 phones and 2pcs atm and may install it on the work pc's depending on my testing this on my personal ones for performance issues. how do i link all my devices so the team receives my credits?
nick

Re: hello everyone

Post by nick »

never mind on linking i figured out i had to join on all projects webpages to the team
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

Hi Nick, welcome aboard.

I see you've already figured out how to link everything together :)

You may want to consider adding http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/ and Goofyxgrid http://goofyxgridathome.net/ to your project list, they both run as NCI (non compute intensive) ie, use minimal computing power and don't stress the processor. Basically, free credits :D (Although not a lot of them)

Any other questions just ask.

Mark
nick

Post by nick »

thanks for the tip mark. I'm noticing it is not worth punishing my phones for the amount of data they process the excess heat and the constant pausing due to battery heat cannot be good.
Woodles
UBT Contributor

Post by Woodles »

You're welcome Nick :)

'Phone batteries are also limited in the number of times that they can be recharged, it's not worth running Boinc on them normally.

Have fun with the PCs though :D

Mark
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:thanks for the tip mark. I'm noticing it is not worth punishing my phones for the amount of data they process the excess heat and the constant pausing due to battery heat cannot be good.
Hi Nick

Welcome to the Team :)

As you've found out, running BOINC on a smartphone or tablet isn't that good an idea....too few credits and too much heat generated :(

OTOH, a little device like a Raspberry Pi can be put to good use...and a number of projects now support this "device" ;)

regards
Tim
nick

Post by nick »

ok bionic is only using 20-25% of my gpu its running in vm and shows my r9-270 as a 7500 how can i fix this? I saw your post about changing the config in the project directory file but I cannot find it just bionic the skins and the lang packs.
nick

Post by nick »

well today marks the end of my 1st month crunching and I think my numbers are good since I don't Mine. should be about 4.7 to 4.8 mil by days end if my gpuprid gets verified today.

any project ideas for my old Athlon II X2 240 and 260 at the office there old but I put ssd's in them and there still fine for office work (so can't justify replacing them till they die). there running goofy and prime mostly.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:well today marks the end of my 1st month crunching and I think my numbers are good since I don't Mine. should be about 4.7 to 4.8 mil by days end if my gpuprid gets verified today.
Hi Nick

Excellent work thus far :) I'm sure you'll become a "big hitter" soon enough ;)
any project ideas for my old Athlon II X2 240 and 260 at the office there old but I put ssd's in them and there still fine for office work (so can't justify replacing them till they die). there running goofy and prime mostly.
These aren't bad CPU's though they are now a little out of date compared to latest types....but they can still be useful.

I would be tempted to just pick a target project (or two/three to allow for when a project runs out of work) and leave them to amass credits, until they hit a useful target. There are websites around which show comparisons of credits earned, per CPU second, between one project and another - but the numbers are confusing, so it's easiest to just pick a couple you like and go with that.

Of course the stats make certain projects look like "high earners", until you see that these projects are the ones that support GPU's (Collatz, Einstein, GPUGrid, MilkyWay, PrimeGrid, etc).

If you include WUProp as well as Goofy, then that will slowly increase your credits as both are NCI types and they will slowly build up.

regards
Tim
nick

Post by nick »

Collatz is crazy fast credits 500k in 12 hours from gpu tasks. waiting on my first cpu one to score see what the credits are from that. seems it over pays compared to others. 4100-4400 credits for a 5 min gpu time on my r9 270x. the cpu tasks are 10-24 hours depending on the cpu.
UBT - Timbo
UBT Forum Admin

Post by UBT - Timbo »

nick wrote:Collatz is crazy fast credits 500k in 12 hours from gpu tasks. waiting on my first cpu one to score see what the credits are from that. seems it over pays compared to others. 4100-4400 credits for a 5 min gpu time on my r9 270x. the cpu tasks are 10-24 hours depending on the cpu.
Hi Nick

Relatively speaking, all the projects that support GPU, will give you a better return, taking time into consideration, compared to the CPU equivalent. Hence for those projects that have GPU tasks, I won't run the CPU version as it takes much longer, and the credits aren't so good.

So, if you are letting BOINC use both CPU and GPU, you can easily support (say) 2 or 3 "GPU" projects and then let your CPU's crunch on other projects that don't have GPU versions.

Note also that Collatz has both short and long run tasks - they pay about the same in terms of credits per minute.

regards
Tim